Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: kent cam
ernie

posted on 28/3/04 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
kent cam

HELP I have just fitted kent 103/4 cam & followers to 1300 engine and I find the valves bashing the pistons, The engine was inherited as rebuilt unit with gt cam but has never run, can I put spacers under valve train. this has f****d the rest of sunday now
rusty nuts

posted on 28/3/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Suspect pistons will need valve pockets machined to give valve to piston clearance. may have already bent valves/push rods. Have you set tappet clearances to kents settings ?? Is cam timed correctly. Rusty
Tblue

posted on 28/3/04 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
First time I dialed in a cam in a crossflow I forgot that no1 inlet is the second pushrod and timed it up to the first. Just glad I was dummy building the engine as I could have caused some real grief.
TPG

posted on 28/3/04 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Years ago it was a cheap modifiction to fit 1300 Gt pistons into 1600cc X-flow,I did it loads.Raised compression('Chamber in piston and had lots of room with regards to running daft cams).So I would agree with cam timing and tappet clearance.Did the notches line on the crank pulley with the cam pulley?To many years to remember which was correct.If you don't know the clearance,Start large and noisey.Bring it down to induce lumpy tick over(remembering cam!)and give it a few thou back.Measure when it is cold.Everything is a uniform temp'.When it is hot the temp drops and so your measurments will be out.Be lucky.

..Which was nice..

ernie

posted on 28/3/04 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
kent cam

Thanks for replies guys, the engine is still on the stand at the moment and while setting valve clearances & timing discoverd problem so no damage done yet. the engine came with standard GT cam but has never been run. (Changed cam for race series) so maybe I`ll whip head off to look cheers Ernie
ernie

posted on 30/3/04 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
kent cam

What a dipstick, what a plonka. memo to myself must get more lights for garage, must get some reading glasses. it appers that somewhare in the distant past, a person unknown tried to remove woodruf key using hammer & large screwdriver.struck a heavy blow and marked the sprocket with a perfectly formed line simlar to timing mark. thats my excuse for not setting cam up right! thanks for all suggestions

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.