Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Running in
pdm

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Running in

Evening Everyone

I've done a search on running in but haven't been able to answer my question.

Assuming you've built an engine, how do you go about running in...

If you go for a first time start can you then leave it until driving to the IVA or is there a time limit on running in whereby once it's started for the first time, you need to get it run in within a given time frame ? (Difficult with no registration, tax even if it's insured !!). I guess what I'm after is is it ok to run in an engine by driving it say 20/30 mins at a time but over a longish period ?

For the IVA noise tests etc will the rev's be too high for an engine that isn't fully run in ? If so how have you gone about running you're engine in ?

Another forum has suggested that you should put low quality oil in to start with for 100 miles to allow rings to seat then change and run too 500 and change again - what's the consensus here ?

Thanks
Paul

focijohn

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
A guy i work with built a 7 with a duratec (2.3) and after the big ends letting go hes been told to run it in on 15W/40 for a few hundred. Once thats been done back to the "normal" oil. Hes got the advantage of it being mapped already.
I know this only covers one point but HTH a little.

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

philw

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
This is how i ran mine in

Must try harder

pdm

posted on 13/9/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent thanks.

Seems to back up what oil to use.

link is really useful too - looks like most of the seating would get done very early in the engine's life. All I need is a private road lol...

Thinking about it

posted on 13/9/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Same problem here.
flak monkey

posted on 13/9/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Run at fast idle (2500-3000rpm) for the first 20 mins to bed in the camshaft.

After that drive as you normally would using the whole rev range but avoid sustained high revs for the first 1000miles.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

nick205

posted on 13/9/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
What engine is it...?

My freshly built Pinto was done like this...

Build up with supplied cam build-up lube and lots and lots of fresh engine oil. Fire up and run at 2 to 2.5 K rpm for around 20 mins to bed the new cam shaft in and check for leaks (oil & water) and temp.

Let it cool, check valve clearances and plug condition.

Re-start periodically during the build for "private road" testing

First 250 miles limited to 4 k rpm, oil & filter change - then let it have the full beans on each and every gear change

coozer

posted on 13/9/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Being a QA engineer and visiting a few plants around Europe I can say that running in is a load of horlicks...

Toyota at Burnaston have a dyno run on every car.. rev to the red line in every gear.. and engage reverse to make sure it cuts out...

Grimsby docks.. get down there and watch them load and unload the ships....

Jaguar, Brown Lane.. every car thrashed to death on the dyno...

You go and buy a brand new car from your dealer and its already been red lined and thrashed..

As nick says prepare well, build up correctly then red line all over!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

wrigglypig

posted on 13/9/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Built my pinto up 18 years ago I used a grease in the bores called Graphogen which the guy who bored the engine for me always used. I used a cheap oil with no addatives for the first 300 miles and then changed it. I also had new big ends/mains/ camshaft / oil pump. The main thing I was advised was not to labour the engine i.e. dont be in 5th at 1500 rpm and try and put your foot down.
I was advised that revving wasnt a problem. Its done 10,000 miles since has 65psi oil pressure when warm and happly revs to 5500 rpm without drama.

Kev

mark chandler

posted on 13/9/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
The secrets full load for a few seconds at varying engine speeds, followed by no throttle.

The rings are forced into the bore walls with the pressure, when you let off oil then flushes the bores and lubricates ready for the next blast.

Race engines have a couple of hours on the dyno before being hammered, the second hour being power runs to the limit.

oldtimer

posted on 14/9/09 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Loading up the rings really is the way, also use of actua; running in oil is good, then flush it out and use high quality oil after that.
paul the 6th

posted on 14/9/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
they had an article in one of the bike mags about running in bike engines and what the difference between running in oil & normal oil is...

If I remember rightly, running in oil isn't quite as 'lubricating' so the piston rings can bed into the cylinder walls more easily - if there's too much lubrication then the rings won't seal as effectively.

As others have said, I've heard around 20 mins to get the engine warmed up and then when driving use the full rev range but not at constant revs - so on a motorway or dual carriageway, fluctuate your speed and revs (safely)

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
pdm

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Great thanks for all the info everyone
Marcus

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Don't make the run to IVA the first run with new rings!!!
I did, and the plugs oiled up every 10 miles, I missed my SVA appointment and had to re-book.
Everything was fine for the second SVA run as the car had done an extra 50 miles or so...

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.