Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra rear beam/subframe weight
greenwood03

posted on 20/9/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
sierra rear beam/subframe weight

hi guys. got a tiger supercat which uses the sierra rear end, wondering if anyone knows the weight of that piece of kit and the realistic weight saving possible by ditching that and fitting a de dion set up? the engine has been tuned as far as can realistically go, so now thinking about chopping some weight - if its worthwile. done the usual google type search, but cant find any direct info on the weight of the existing unit......pub 'guesstimates' which are frankly not alot of help range from a weight saving of 20-50kg. ideally would be nice to know a bit more precisely to decide whether worth the hassle....chrs mark g
snapper

posted on 20/9/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
If the Tiger uses the whole Sierra frame then you can't just ditch it as the Sierra back end has the swing arms as well as the frame.
Ditch the frame and you will need a way of attaching the diff, Some trailing arms and somewhere to hold them and the DeDion will add some weight.

Might be worth looking at the Haynes Roadster rear end as a pattern, possibly lighter and easier

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

austin man

posted on 20/9/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
as the man said its not that simple as the rear swinging arms attach to the beam, I have used the sierra arms at the rear but attached pick up points to the chasis to carry the arms. there is quite a weight saving, if tou used the dedion you would save a few KGs no doubt, but if your going to that expense why not go ull hog and modify for double wishbone suspension?

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

greenwood03

posted on 21/9/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
will check out the Haynes info...
dble wishbones - hadnt considered to the nth degree as had read that can be tricky to get set up correctly??
i know there was a tiger owner that did a form of de dion conversion on the same type of car, unfortunately the pics that he posted on the forum dont give much detail and seems he's no longer an active member - otherwise would pick his brains a bit!

mark chandler

posted on 21/9/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
djtom is still active, he is fitting a dedion although it replaces a live axle.

You will need a good chop about, have a look here:

link

Antnicuk

posted on 21/9/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
how about speaking to Tiger, they maybe able to supply the bits you need together with the diagrams

Can you keep us posted as i have friend who has a Cat and wants to reduce some weight

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

greenwood03

posted on 21/9/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
mark: thx had forgotten that DJ Tom was doing his '6'......the guy i was thinking of did it to a Cat and actually had an email from him this morning, although he's never had the car weighed since the conversion so am no further forward on that score, although will ping Tom a message and quiz him........

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.