Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hydraulic conversion
britishtrident

posted on 31/3/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hydraulic conversion

Next stage in procecdings is converting the type 9 to hydraulic clutch, I found a good scrapyard source of a master cylinder in the new shape Rover 45/400, I am going to try using the slave cylinder also but if that dosen't work I will shell out for a Saab 900 slave cylinder.

Any experiences ?

DEAN C.

posted on 31/3/04 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you buy the SAAB cylinder your cheapest option is new from Europarts,try their website..
If you look in my photo archive you can see the SAAB cylinder fitted into my Toyota box...
DEAN............

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

dblissett

posted on 31/3/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
nice job

it looks good and easy
is this true
if so what slave cylinder fits the type 9 box and how much pedal travel do you need
sorry if this has hyjaked your thread trident but it looks like the answer to many of my problems
cheers dave

britishtrident

posted on 31/3/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Darren at GTS has a an adaptor plate for the SAAB unit listed

Here are a couple of URLS I have found
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=86_89&products_id=1723

This one appears to use a series 3 Land-Rover/Hillman Imp slave I am not sure how it is mounted on the bell housing -- might even be welded on.
http://www.prepfab.co.uk/Parts/pages/hydbell_jpg.htm

The ideal slave cylinder mounting position will vary as Ford flywheeels vary and clutches differ.

What ever combination is used the point where the cylinder piston is fully home can be found by doing a dummy assembly with no clutch driven plate under the pressure plate this will put the clutch thrust bearing as far backward as it will ever need to go (and some).

The critical bit is getting the stroke right, I have a rough figure for the cable travel when a Sierra clutch is depressed (if anybody else has measured this I would appreciate the measurement), I am pretty sure if I go the Saab route it will just be a matter of using the same dia master cylinder as a SAAB 9000, However I first intend to try using a conventional external slave cylinder so to avoid damaging the clutch pressure plate by over stroking I am going to err on understroking the clutch which if it dosen't work I can always use a bigger master cylinder.

[Edited on 31/3/04 by britishtrident]

DEAN C.

posted on 1/4/04 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
When I worked my travel out for the Toyota box I bolted the engine and box together with the clutch fastened up,and carefully measured the distance using internal calipers up to the gearbox bearing plate and worked it out from there.
I think I allowed about 5mm freeplay before it touched the clutch fingers.
Don't forget the clutch fingers close in (or forwards ) as you tighten the clutch cover plate up.
On the Toyota box this worked out to need an adapter 15mm thick.
If you use a pedal stop there is no way you can overstroke and pop the cylinder out!

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

eddymcclements

posted on 1/4/04 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Go to http://www.whirl.demon.co.uk/locost/ and click on the link for "first half of 2002" and there's a bit of detail there about installing the Saab clutch slave cylinder. Admittedly this is into a T-50 'box but the principles are the same - it'll just be the dimensions that are different.

Like Dean says, bolt up the 'box to the engine with a worn-out clutch plate in place, then do it again with a new clutch plate and cover, measuring each time the position of the clutch "fingers". Once you've got the length and travel of the Saab slave you can work out how thick the spacer needs to be.

Eddy

britishtrident

posted on 3/4/04 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very good info
12a RX-7

posted on 6/4/04 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone know how much the adapters are from GTS tuning ?

and what sized clutch master cylinder are people using ? this will be for a type 9 box (pinto conversion on a Morris Marina of all things )

Thanks,
Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.