Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2002 B model ZX12R
Breaker

posted on 3/10/09 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
2002 B model ZX12R

I've been offered a 2002 B model ZX12R for around 1800€ (~1650 £). For this price I will get : all cables, relays, sender units, computer, fuse box, battery box , clocks , ignition and key set, engine, fuel injection , fuel pump and sender unit and the rear exhaust canister and other small parts to make it run.

The engine is still in the bike (bike only has small damage to the fairing panels) so I can hear it running before the owner breaks it.

The bike has done around 19,000 miles.

Is this a reasonable price for this bike/mileage and should I ask for additional info to the owner ?

daniel mason

posted on 3/10/09 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
think malc (yorkshire engines) has a 2009 zx10r 187 bhp motor for sale at around that prce. only 450 miles
franky

posted on 3/10/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Breaker
I've been offered a 2002 B model ZX12R for around 1800€ (~1650 £). For this price I will get : all cables, relays, sender units, computer, fuse box, battery box , clocks , ignition and key set, engine, fuel injection , fuel pump and sender unit and the rear exhaust canister and other small parts to make it run.

The engine is still in the bike (bike only has small damage to the fairing panels) so I can hear it running before the owner breaks it.

The bike has done around 19,000 miles.

Is this a reasonable price for this bike/mileage and should I ask for additional info to the owner ?

At £1500 it would be a good buy.

rf900rush

posted on 3/10/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I paid that for my a B3 (2005) model with everything except dash and fuel pump.

Sounds a fair price.

But if he's like me, and got the Bike as salvage he me well take a good offer.

I CBR cost me 10% of the insurance pay out.

The good thing being in the Bike you can see how well the bike was looked after.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddbaz

posted on 3/10/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
a little on the dear side but not by much,all depends what else is available in your locallity, good engine ,you may be able to get the price down a little.
Breaker

posted on 18/10/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Today I went to see the bike. The 2002 ZX12R was standing outside (under a roof) and it was quite cold outside. But the bike started without problems and had a steady rpm in neutral. The bike was in good condition with no damage to the engine/clocks (25.000 miles).

But when I asked the owner to show me where the lambda-sensor was, he said there is no lambda on a 2002 ZX12R ???
So I'm doubting the IVA-emission-tester will like this or will the engine even pass emission ?

And another question, can someone confirm the 2002 ZX12R has a gear position sensor ?

Breaker

posted on 19/10/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Breaker
And another question, can someone confirm the 2002 ZX12R has a gear position sensor ?

Found some info regarding the 2002 ZX12R.
http://www.zx12r.nl/zx12r/docs/ZX1200B.pdf
So the 2002 does have a gear position sensor.

progers

posted on 19/10/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
There are no lambda sensors on the majority of motorbikes (including the ZX12r) they do not run closed loop fuel control. Emissions is controlled purely by the map in the ECU based on all the sensor inputs.

The ZX12r does have a gear sensor output. You can either use the ZX12r clocks, buy a gear sensor from GiPro or simply build one yourself (if you know a little about electronics). I've done the latter.

25K miles is not a low mileage ZX12r, hence I would not pay that amount for it. I found a <10K mile version for around £1250.

Cheers

Paul

Breaker

posted on 19/10/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
25K miles is not a low mileage ZX12r, hence I would not pay that amount for it. I found a <10K mile version for around £1250.

I know 25.000 is not low, but I think it isn't high either for a 7 year old bike ?

What did you get for £1250: also clocks, cannister,..... ?

Now I'm starting to doubt I will take it or not.

P.S. Keep in mind this ZX12R is from England and is already shipped to Belgium where I live. It also has a alarm (motion and tilt sensor) + immobilser built in the loom.

franky

posted on 19/10/09 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Its a good price.

they go for between £1200-£1600. if you then factor in shipping costs etc.

Kawasaki engines normally give best power with a few miles on them. Its not like its done 25000miles flat out.

progers

posted on 19/10/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I don't want to sound overly pessimistic but I would not touch a bike engine that has done that many miles for a BEC project. It may be fine, but then again it could have had 25K miles of clumsy gear changes and being thrashed within an inch of its life. Its just more risky, that's all.

The engine I got came with loom, ECU etc, everything to get it to run. No clocks though (I didn't want them).

There are lots of examples around that have done under 15K, just keep looking and one will turn up. Most bikes like the ZX12r tend to be weekend "toys" and hence do relatively low mileage.

Just my opinion though.....

- Paul

P.S. Just seen that you state 25K Km's not miles. That's not so bad as long as you are sure its in tip top condition. I'd still negotiate a discount though (I'm a tight b*st*rd) ....

[Edited on 19/10/09 by progers]

Breaker

posted on 19/10/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers

P.S. Just seen that you state 25K Km's not miles. That's not so bad as long as you are sure its in tip top condition. I'd still negotiate a discount though (I'm a tight b*st*rd) ....

[Edited on 19/10/09 by progers]

No, it's 25k miles...

franky

posted on 19/10/09 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
what you've got to remember is you can't thrash a zx12r....
rob2005

posted on 19/10/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
what you've got to remember is you can't thrash a zx12r....

Excuse my ignorance but why not?

Fortune favours the brave!!

franky

posted on 19/10/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
due to the fact on a bike they make 165bhp at the wheel. second gear takes you to 100+mph. They wheelie too. Its another kettle of fish when you've got that much power in a bike.

On UK roads you just can't do it. Anyone who says they can are talking crap or winning the TT.

[Edited on 19/10/09 by franky]

OX

posted on 19/10/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
so it will be just the first 3 gears that have had all the thrash then lol.
i think 25000 miles is high for a bike engine but in the bike it would probably do another 25000 because they are big strong engines but stick it in your car and that engines probably going to get more stick then it ever has done before ,id stay away from it

Breaker

posted on 20/10/09 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
The owner just informed me he will restore the bike and not break it. So I will be looking for another ZX12R-B with less miles on the clock....
rob2005

posted on 20/10/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
due to the fact on a bike they make 165bhp at the wheel. second gear takes you to 100+mph. They wheelie too. Its another kettle of fish when you've got that much power in a bike.

On UK roads you just can't do it. Anyone who says they can are talking crap or winning the TT.

[Edited on 19/10/09 by franky]

Right im with you now, i thought for a second you meant it wouldnt take a thrashing.

Glad your not buying that one now, mine was installed with less than 8k miles, 2001 zx12r.

They are out there with low miles as someone said already they rarely do 'big' miles like the 25k one youve seen.

Good luck

Fortune favours the brave!!

Breaker

posted on 20/10/09 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rob2005

Glad your not buying that one now, mine was installed with less than 8k miles, 2001 zx12r.

They are out there with low miles as someone said already they rarely do 'big' miles like the 25k one youve seen.

Good luck

Yes, the search starts again. But I want at least a B-model as they have stronger clutches and crankshaft.

thurso

posted on 20/10/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12R

I will be shortly selling a complete set up for kit car. It is currently in my F27 clubman which I have been sprinting for the past three years. This engine and car has just won the Modified Division GuysonScottish Sprint Championship 2009 and was runner up last season 2008.
It has many class wins over last two or three seasons.
The engine is 2000 A1 model with all electrics, sensors, ECU, rectifyer and the sump has been modfied and baffled, clocks etc in fact everything that is needed as it comes from my car. This engine has been completely trouble free and has proved itself to be a Busa beater or numerous occasions. I am planning to change to ZX1400 for next season hence this one will be coming for sale. At the moment it can be seen and heard running in the car.
1500 pounds for all that is needed

I would consider selling the car complete ready to sprint

Breaker

posted on 20/10/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thurso
I will be shortly selling a complete set up for kit car. It is currently in my F27 clubman which I have been sprinting for the past three years. This engine and car has just won the Modified Division GuysonScottish Sprint Championship 2009 and was runner up last season 2008.
It has many class wins over last two or three seasons.
The engine is 2000 A1 model with all electrics, sensors, ECU, rectifyer and the sump has been modfied and baffled, clocks etc in fact everything that is needed as it comes from my car. This engine has been completely trouble free and has proved itself to be a Busa beater or numerous occasions. I am planning to change to ZX1400 for next season hence this one will be coming for sale. At the moment it can be seen and heard running in the car.
1500 pounds for all that is needed

I would consider selling the car complete ready to sprint

Thanks for your offer, but I'm looking for a B-model that hasn't been trashed yet.

thurso

posted on 20/10/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12R

OK just thought I would offer, but not sure where your coming from when you say not trashed yet?
thurso

posted on 20/10/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12R

OK just thought I would offer, but not sure where your coming from when you say not trashed yet?
Breaker

posted on 21/10/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thurso

If the ZX12R has been for 3 years in a car that is used for sprinting, I presume it has taken some serious beating. I'm looking for a "cleaner/newer" ZX12R I can beat up myself

thurso

posted on 21/10/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12

You could well think that but you should remember that sprints are about 100 secs max and some are shorter. also engine has only done about 7500 miles.
anyway all the best with your hunt?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.