Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: suspect head gaskit
Angus180

posted on 4/10/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
suspect head gaskit

hi guys, how can u tell if its going, im using small amount and get a wet patch as it were from my exhaust on start up. plus starting seems not as good and power slightly down running a bit rough,
WHAT A GOD REPLACEMENT ENGINE FOR APROX 180-200BHP CAR ENGINE.

omega0684

posted on 4/10/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
you will either get an oil gallery to water jacket split, in which you will get like a creamy mayonaise froth build up in the galleries and rocker cover as the water mixes with the oil, if you have an oil catch tank check that for build up.

or

you will get an oil gallery to cylinder split, in which you will get blue smoke from the exhaust as the additional oil is burnt off in the cylinder,

i would suspect though that the wet patches sre just condensation in the primaries, make sure when you start the car you let it warm up first before driving away in it, at least then you know that the oil in the car in circulatiing at temperature as well.

is the car burning threw oil like theres no tomorrow, this is usually another sign.

[Edited on 4/10/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angus180

posted on 4/10/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
i know the oil level so will check and check the catch tank ect, , it was build my veng engines its been a good engine so im hoping its ok.
omega0684

posted on 4/10/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
how many miles has the engine done since being rebuilt
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angus180

posted on 4/10/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
aprox 12k +/- 3
speedo has stopped wrking it did get a tat hot a while ago, 110

adithorp

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
If it is head gasket then from those symptoms it's water jacket to cylinder (no oil involved). You'll get excess presure in the water and eventually overheating. Start it let it idle a few min's and (carefully) check for presure in the water. You'll also get water into a cylinder so check the plugs for any that look different and peek into the cylinders for any that look different after its run and also after its stood for a while for any sign of water in there.
At this time of year you will get condensation from the exhaust when cold so don't take that as evidence of head gasket failure. If it steams when hot then thats a different matter. Early symptoms of headgasket failure can be elusive to find. Make sure its not leaking anywhere else before jumping in at the deep end.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MakeEverything

posted on 4/10/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
110 shouldnt be a problem as long as its not prolonged and it cools slowly.

My renault engine has been off the gauge a few times in the last couple of weeks because of a coolant leak i have, and it seems ok.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.