Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spigot bearing
norfolkluego

posted on 11/10/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Spigot bearing

How do you coax a Zetec spigot bearing out of it's hole, special tool or something else
big_wasa

posted on 11/10/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Good look.

Either a bearing puller of the grease method.

Ive never had any look with the second method.

Canada EH!

posted on 11/10/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pack some grease in the hole, then find a round object that just fits in the hole, and hit it with a hammer.
Grease is pressurized and forces the bearing out.

madteg

posted on 11/10/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Make a dowel out of wood or something tat fits just inside of the bearing. Fill the hole with grease and wack the dowel ii the hole full of grease and the bearing will end uo on the dowel. ( IT DOES WORK)
norfolkluego

posted on 11/10/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I just knew a hammer would come into it

As a matter of interest do you have to grease the new bearing or just put it in as is

madteg

posted on 11/10/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would smear a small amount on bearing when fitted by sticking finger in hole and twisting it around like you do
02GF74

posted on 11/10/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
Make a dowel out of wood or something tat fits just inside of the bearing. Fill the hole with grease and wack the dowel ii the hole full of grease and the bearing will end uo on the dowel. ( IT DOES WORK)

not for me it didn;t but I used a hardened punch - at one point I was the owner of engien fit f***ked spigot bearing with a hardedn steel punch stuck in the end that could not be removed!!

I used a dremel stone to split the race, then hammer and chisel to finish it
off.

daviep

posted on 11/10/09 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you are reasonably handy with the welder then break the inner race and balls out of the bearing, then run a bead of weld around the inside of the outer race. As the weld cools it will contract and shrink the bearing and it should lever out easily.

If you're not 100% confident with the welder then don't try this also remeber to put the earth straight on to the flywheel.

Cheers
Davie

mad4x4

posted on 12/10/09 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
US the grease Method. but the "Dowel" or Punch need to be quite a snugg fit to the spigot or the grease is forced out between the punch and the spigot.

Used this several times adn works beautifully. Or just use a dremel and time to cut it out.

I would be wary of the "welding Method" as this may damage the crank shaft seal if it gets too hot. Then you end up with oil in the bellhousing and a Kanckered clutch etc.

[Edited on 12/1010/09 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

turbodisplay

posted on 12/10/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
i used a length of studding and a two nuts.
grind nut 1 so it just slips through bearing. then catch the edge of the nut with the outer race. Put a large nut over the the studding and push to flywheel face. Put a washer and nut, tighten nut, and it will pull the bearing out.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 12/10/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I've successfully used the grease method.
Got covered in grease!
What should work is a rawlbolt & a long setscrew - the rawlbolt goes inside the bearing & the long screw first expands the rawlbolt to grip the bearing, then pushes it out as the screw reaches the bottom of the hole.

bimbleuk

posted on 12/10/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
I've successfully used the grease method.
Got covered in grease!
What should work is a rawlbolt & a long setscrew - the rawlbolt goes inside the bearing & the long screw first expands the rawlbolt to grip the bearing, then pushes it out as the screw reaches the bottom of the hole.

I tried the grease method on the RAW supplied spigot bearing for 4AGEs but as its quite thin the grease just shot out between the ball bearings!

So I used a combination on the last two suggestions of a length of studding three nuts, a washer and a rawl bolt.

[Edited on 12-10-09 by bimbleuk]

norfolkluego

posted on 17/10/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Got it out this afternoon but what a b*gger. Grease didn't move it at all had to resort to a Dremel and chisel, 3 hours! Personally I'd borrow a proper bearing puller next time.

[Edited on 17/10/09 by norfolkluego]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.