Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes Roadster suspension/handling?
nick205

posted on 13/10/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Haynes Roadster suspension/handling?

I appreciate there is an element of "depends how accurately it's made" within this question, but how does a well made Haynes Roadster compare in terms of suspension design/geometry and handling to some of the common 7 type kits.

Is the basic suspension design good, bad or indifferent?

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
tbh I'd say it depends far more on who's driving it

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RAYLEE29

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I am building a haynes Roadster and believe that it will be a very well handling car although i havent been in one.
If your thinking of building one there is an active alternative site where you might get a better answer to your question as there are only a few complete cars out there. search for haynes forums and youll find it
My answer to your Question is in no way intended to detract from the usefullness and helpfullness of this site as I certainly find it a very good resourse, just pointing you in the direction of an alternative place to ask your particular Question

cd.thomson

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RAYLEE29
Hi, I am building a haynes Roadster and believe that it will be a very well handling car although i havent been in one.
If your thinking of building one there is an active alternative site where you might get a better answer to your question as there are only a few complete cars out there. search for haynes forums and youll find it
My answer to your Question is in no way intended to detract from the usefullness and helpfullness of this site as I certainly find it a very good resourse, just pointing you in the direction of an alternative place to ask your particular Question

We are still allowed to talk about t'other chris and his site - this post sounded like it was taken from an orwellian novel!!

Craig

nick205

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Already a member of the Haynes forum, but wanted to ask the Q on here first as there's a bigger audience.

Really I'm after actual comparison of the suspension design against other similar cars - e.g. MK, MAC#1, Luego etc.

Cheers
Nick

nick205

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
tbh I'd say it depends far more on who's driving it

Always a factor in keeping the car on the road, but if the basic design is sound then it's easier for the average driver to get more out of it.

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
^ true but tbh its a mine field of a topic. All you'll get is peoples opinions on their cars unless you take all the different makes round a track topgear style with the stig at the wheel.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RAYLEE29

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
just didnt want to get in trouble by being helpfull
nick205

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
just didnt want to get in trouble by being helpfull

no worries there

ashg

posted on 13/10/09 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
lesson of the day.........

Martin Keenan of MK had pretty big hand in the design of the roadster and Chris Gibbs the author of the book used to work for MK.

lets not get into a debate of this car is better than that as its quite hard to say/prove due to the many many variations kits come in.

lets just say the roadster comes from a strong blood line and you can build it to what ever spec you like.

as a chassis its a great foundation. but at the end of the day its up to the builder to make it what they want.

i am building a haynes and have made my own little touches to it as im sure everyone else has.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

nick205

posted on 13/10/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
lesson of the day.........

Martin Keenan of MK had pretty big hand in the design of the roadster and Chris Gibbs the author of the book used to work for MK.

lets not get into a debate of this car is better than that as its quite hard to say/prove due to the many many variations kits come in.

lets just say the roadster comes from a strong blood line and you can build it to what ever spec you like.

as a chassis its a great foundation. but at the end of the day its up to the builder to make it what they want.

i am building a haynes and have made my own little touches to it as im sure everyone else has.

I knew of the "bloodline" and Martin's involvement along the way. I suppose that's partly where the question came from I guess

frankie boy

posted on 13/10/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I have now covered 5000 miles in my Haynes Roadster in just over a year, track days, motor way driving, and London traffic. I can only imagine it handles like an Mk.
As the 3rd Haynes roadster on the road, 1st being the prototype 2nd being partly by Mk. I haven’t had the chance to drive other seven type cars but fill very happy and confident with the handling. As a scratch build I would the handle would come down to the precision of the set up and the making of suspension parts.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/10/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, just about all of the reputable makes will probably handle much better than you're used to, assuming that it's been set up reasonably well.

nick205

posted on 14/10/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
To be honest, just about all of the reputable makes will probably handle much better than you're used to, assuming that it's been set up reasonably well.

I'm pretty used to and confident with my Indy after 3 years driving, but it's now sold and I'm looking at the next project and wanting to make a step forward rather than back - if that makes sense!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.