Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: starting pinto head rebuild
Angus180

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
starting pinto head rebuild

im planning to start my head gasket in the next week, and not sure where to gets parts? and what do i need? and it is worth doing anything to the head skimmed ect??
Mr Whippy

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I’d avoid skimming the head unless you want a higher compression ration or the head is actually warped. Why are you doing the gasket, did it blow?

Depending on the mileage it might be worth changing the valve stem seals and lapping the valve seats plus scrubbing off the carbon deposits. Best not to clean the piston crown unless you know what your doing as its now considered not worth the risk of forcing carbon down the side of the piston and scoring the bore.

Most motorfactors (Halfords, Autosave etc) stock pinto head gasket sets, they'll include all the seals fitted to the head, including the valve stem ones.

The only special tool you may need is a valve compressor if you intend to remove the valves. Don't mix them up and remember to tap the top of the valve stem with a hammer to free the collet before using the compressor.

[Edited on 13/10/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angus180

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
its just using water, its blowing it out of the exhaust, its only one about 10-15 thousand speed it broken and cant seem to fix it.
nick205

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Local motor factors or Burton Power will supply you with a complete head gasket set - the factors set wil be considerably cheaper and perfectly adequate. The set will have all the gaskets and seals you need to replace while it's in bits.

IIRC Ford used 2 different types of head bolts, but either type should be replaced with the later star drive type - these should also be included in your gasket set.

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angus180
its just using water, its blowing it out of the exhaust, its only one about 10-15 thousand speed it broken and cant seem to fix it.

not quite sure what you mean by 10-15 thousand speed? but if its using water stop using the engine till its fixed as you will be contaminating the oil with water and could wreak the engine if you continue to use the car.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angus180

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
sorry trying to mulit task, i ment is done 10-15 thousand miles as the speedo stopped wrking around 10k.
Peteff

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angus180

Water is a by product of combustion, just because it's blowing water out of the exhaust does not mean it is the coolant. Check for leaks before you start troubling the head.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

omega0684

posted on 13/10/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
if you suspect that the head gasket has gone and its possibly a water jacket to cylinder break then i would check the gasket as well for any other breaks. if the oil is contaminated with water the you need to do an oil and filter change as well and clean out all the oil galleries too.

as for the head its quite simple to take apart, DON'T go bashing the springs with a hammer to release the collets, just use a valve spring compressor and the collects will appear as you compress the spring simple take them out by hand once the valve is compressed slightly.

a head gasket from my local motor factor cost me £12 so it should be much more if at all from your local motor factor. i would take a good look at your cam lobes and cam bearings, replace the valve stem seals if they are damaged, clean the valves. if you are doing a full strip down then you can always reseat the valves as well the make sure they are sealing properly

have a look at my pinto build diary for more info

Pinto Build diary

HTH's

Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.