Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: starting issues
Donuts

posted on 17/10/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
starting issues

I am having starting issues.

Pinto engine, 40amp hour battery (do not know condition - 12.5v and down to 9v when attempting to start)

think the engine has a modified head,

do you think it is a dud battery, a dud starter, or I need a high torque starter because of modified head.

car is new to me, and asumed (stupidly) that when I bought it is was just it had a flat battery.

any thoughts?

Fly Like a mouse, Run Like a cushion, Be the small Bookcase

RichardK

posted on 17/10/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a dodgy battery to me, as its an un known condition then thats were I'd look first.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Donuts

posted on 18/10/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
tried swapping the battery from the wifes MG, with no luck.. still the starter motor turns (very slowly), but wont fire up the engine.

I have pulled the starter motor, cant seem to find anyone who will sell me one today. sill see if I can take it apart, see if there is something obvious...

Fly Like a mouse, Run Like a cushion, Be the small Bookcase

prawnabie

posted on 18/10/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
What compression ratio is it running? I had the same problem on my crossflow and ended up needing a gear reduction motor because of the compression.
Ninehigh

posted on 22/11/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
That battery sounds fine to me (just done that in college this week)

Check the voltages around the starter motor, bad earth etc

Dusty

posted on 12/12/09 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Check and clean the starting cable connections, battery+ to solenoid, bat- to engine, bat- to body and engine to body.
Also over-advanced ignition may slow the starter to a crawl. Then new starter!

T66

posted on 12/12/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Definately check out the starter main feed for cleanliness & security first. And then all the earths. Clean everything....

When you crank it over, run a jump lead from the battery neg terminal direct onto the engine to eliminate poor earths.

Starter motors dont last forever, so once you done the external checking it may be time to pull your starter motor down and check brushes etc. I bet your Pinto is modded but is still running the original motor in an un=refurbished state.

good luck

jacko

posted on 30/1/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
The head on my pinto has been planned by 1.5mm and the standard starter motor will just and i mean just start it
I bet that's your trouble

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.