Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mains hum
Trev D

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mains hum

Any good electricians around?
I have just bought a 1940/50's record player that has a very bad mains hum and was wondering if anyone new how to get rid of it apart from disconnecting the loud speaker or switching it off.
Any advice would be much appreciated or if anyone fairly local would be willing to have a look at it, beer tokens waiting.
Atb Trev

McLannahan

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Trev - Does it have a separate ground on the rear? Normally older players did - not sure as old as yours though!

BenB

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have an intergral amp or are you plugging it into something else? Mistmatched amps / players will hum like crazy due to ground loops.
iank

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure the hum is coming out of the loudspeaker? Sometimes it's the plates in the transformer de-laminating and making the noise.

(I've got a modern digital radio with that problem - which got worse after I dropped it )

http://www.altavistaaudio.com/hum.html

[Edited on 27/10/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

splitrivet

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Probably AC hum off of the motor or a duff smoothing Capacitor on the rectifier stages try temporarily disconnecting the motor first, if it goes away thats the problem, put a capacitor between the motor connections to get rid.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

MikeRJ

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Has this record player got an built in valve amp? Many older valve amp designs suffered quite badly from hum even when new.
Macbeast

posted on 27/10/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
As said, probably the electrolytic smoothing capacitor (s) in the power supply. They should be replaced as a matter of course in anything this old as they could easily explode.

Probably marked something like 8UF 350 V

Be careful - lethal voltages in there

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Trev D

posted on 27/10/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I've failed to mention that it has a built in radio, the mains hum is continuous on either the radio or the record deck, it is definately coming out of the speaker because it is that bad that you can feel the air movement when you put your hand near the speaker, it has its own valve amplifier built in, I have now looked on the back of the box and have now noticed it has two round sockets, one marked AE and the other marked E. I presume that the AE is the aerial for the radio and the E is the earth. Could you tell me if it would be best to fit a new 3 core mains lead and solder the earth to the back of the socket marked E, thank you in advance.
Trev

tegwin

posted on 27/10/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would put money on the problem being duff antique capacitors on the smoothing circuit for the power supply...

(or a bad earth)..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

morcus

posted on 27/10/09 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Fiddle with the balance knobs, it might make it go away. My Bass amp buzzes if its not set up right as the other electrical items interfere with it but I can get rid of it by adjusting things like the treble.
ReMan

posted on 27/10/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
This was the norm in those days.
As mentioned capacitors may have deteriorated, so may have the valves, but it's part of the character, try to ignore it

Macbeast

posted on 27/10/09 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
It was NOT the norm to have hum so bad that you could feel the air movement.

Changing flex and soldering to the E terminal is not going to help. As hum is there on both radio and gram positions, most likely culprit is smoothing capacitors - as said - you should replace those first anyway for safety. First test is - does the hum go up and down with the volume control, or is it steady no matter what the position of the control ?

You have U2U.

[Edited on 27/10/09 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

splitrivet

posted on 28/10/09 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like AC hum for sure, has the mains lead an earth connection though.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.