Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: just rebuilt pinto head with cams
Angus180

posted on 30/10/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
just rebuilt pinto head with cams

just rebuilding my pinto head after waterleaking from the exhaust, i skimmed it took 6 thou off to get it level and then decided to put a pipercross ulitmate road cam in with my webber 45's should be around 160bhp. any tips on timing it seems hard! and i think i need 11 deg advance timing? thanks. . . hopefull it wont leak and the head it not cracked. thanks
omega0684

posted on 30/10/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
do you have a haynes manual? it tells you in there how to set up the timing. its not that difficult, i thought it was going to be difficult but turns out it was quite simple, lol

if you don't have a manual u2u me your e-mail and i'll send you a pdf one

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 30/10/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
do you have a haynes manual? it tells you in there how to set up the timing. its not that difficult, i thought it was going to be difficult but turns out it was quite simple, lol

if you don't have a manual u2u me your e-mail and i'll send you a pdf one

Not a lot of good for a non standard cam if you want to get the best out of it. There are various books that cover the subject and IIRC the Burton power catalogue covers timing a Pinto cam properly

RAYLEE29

posted on 30/10/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Its really not that difficult you need a clock and a degree wheel also you can find true tdc whilst the head is off wich helps as above checkout the burton catalogue
Ray

austin man

posted on 30/10/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
surely the standard timing will be incorrect due to the overlap of the new cam, generally standard cam settings are for economy first power second.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jacko

posted on 30/10/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
You will need a vernier cam pulley too
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 31/10/09 at 02:07 AM Reply With Quote
run the cam 5 - 7 degrees advanced to maintain some bottom end, then should have ignition around 36-38 degrees advance at 5000 rpm (vacumn pipe off).

If it pinks then back off a couple of degrees

snapper

posted on 31/10/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
There will be data for the cam timing from the manufacturer, you must use this as the first set up, then you can swing the cam using the vernier pully on a rolling road for the best set up.
The cam data will also have the follower gaps required to little or to much will trash the cam, that said you can adjust the overlap a little by changing the gaps.

I have done a lot of research on Pinto's and cams, you need a lot of compression to make the cams work, the Pinto likes a lot of lift and not to much duration, 300 degs being the most you will need for the road with 11 to 1 compression ratio if you have the pistons and the fuel for that much.
If you have a standard head, with just some skimming to get it flat your compression ratio will be not much more than 9.2 to 1, use a Felpro gasket that crushes to 1mm and your compression ratio will go to 9.7 to 1 still not enough to get the cam working but better than nothing.
With decent fueling you may see 130bhp.

One other thing you get no more flow with high lift cams once the inlet valve is lifted 1/4 of its diameter off the seat, i.e 40mm valve 10mm lift, 44mm valve 11mm of lift.....
However more lift will mean that the valve will pass through the optimum lift point for longer.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.