Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear screen and tinting film
smart51

posted on 2/11/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
rear screen and tinting film

I've applied some tinting film to my rear screen but I'm not happy with the results. I want it as a black edge round the window to hide the rubber seal but my cutting isn't neat enough so I'm thinking of just covering the whole screen. is it OK to have 90% tint on the rear screen?

Second, the kit arrived with fitting instructions in Russian. I guessed at spraying it with water and squeegeeing it on but it hasn't worked well and is streaky. How are you supposed to apply it?

dogwood

posted on 2/11/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used tinted plastic to the rear windows of my Transit camper van.
I put it on in 1993, it's still on there and still looking OK.

I used a spray bottle with a week solution of washing up liquid
(Just a few drops is all that is needed)
Then as you say squeege it out.
The glass needs to be super clean though.

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

paul the 6th

posted on 2/11/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate,

not sure about the legalities of tinting the rear screen but considering there are vans, trucks and some cars without rear screens or rear view mirrors, I'd imagine you'd have to be unlucky to get in any trouble for it? Like I say, I'm not 100% on it.

In terms of the "streakyness" it sounds like it *could potentially* be adhesive which isn't really cracking quality.

It could be worth adding a tiny bit of washing up liquid to the water (about 1-2 teaspoons per litre of water). This give it a slightly more "slippery" quality and makes it easier to squeeze out from under the film....

Also, when you say you used water, how did you introduce the water? i.e. dipped the film in it/sprayed it on? It's a bit of a daft question but ideally you want quite a fine spray to make effective use of the soapy solution.

A good few years ago I had my windows tinted professionally - the fitter did advise that it would take a day or two for the tint on the rear screen to fully set/dry. If you've got small streaks then they may dry out...

Hope some of the above tips help - if not, pop back and try to get some pictures up

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Sebastian

posted on 2/11/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
The legal aspect i don't know because i live in Holland, regards applying the film all i can say is depending the screen get a professional to do it, the screens you can try yourself are the ones like a transit since these are pretty flat but if they are getting more convex you have to form it on the outside of the screen with a lot of heat to remove the "memory" of the film than you can apply on the inside and after that you have to reheat it again.
I hope this gives a good idea of applying this sort of film and trust me it's not as easy as it looks, and yes this is my line of work so i paid my learning by doing and doing over and over again and messing up a lot of film.

So if you have any doubts i would say get it done by a pro this would save you a lot of trouble and money in the end.

adithorp

posted on 2/11/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
No restriction on tinting the rear screen however you would need two good side mirrors if view through it could be seen as restricted.

A window tinting guy I occationally use says there's a special (expensive) detergent for the job, however he says Johnsons baby shampoo is just as good and better than anything else.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

smart51

posted on 2/11/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
No restriction on tinting the rear screen however you would need two good side mirrors if view through it could be seen as restricted.

Now there's a thought. I've got enough for another piece so I'll try to cut it a bit neater. A couple of drops of washing up liquid in the water sprayer made the test piece go on a lot nicer the second time round.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.