Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Another Insurance Question...
Aidanb

posted on 8/4/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Another Insurance Question...

Hi, i'm new here and intend to sometime in the near future get/build myself a locost.
What i'm wondering is if I have a normal car insurance policy and a kit-car policy and make a claim on neither of them in a year, have I earned 2 years no-claims bonus? An extra year at my age would REALLY help

alister667

posted on 8/4/04 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've been dealing with Adrian Flux and I have 4 years no-claims on my boring car - but they wouldn't give me any no-claims for my MK. They said that it's a different car and doesn't count. Seemed a little tight to me - surely it shows I'm a reasonably careful driver??
Anyhow, I'd expect you'd get 2 seperate 1 years no-claims for what you mention. Maybe having both the policies with the 1 company might help but I reckon it's a long shot.
Good Luck

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aidanb

posted on 8/4/04 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
As i've just started a year on my everyday car with Norwich Union, I wouldn't expect to use them for kit car use aswell.

I was hoping basically at the end of the insurance year with the kit car, go with someone else and start fresh with a new company with 0 no-claims.

I would hope to transfer the no-claims from the kit-car policy to the everyday car policy

spunky

posted on 8/4/04 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm aware you can only use your NCD on one insurance policy at a time, so I suppose if you have two seperate policies you accumulate two years of NCD.
Thats how it works with my car and bikes.

I do know that most insurance companies will honour your NCD for a year without having any insurance.

surely the most cost effective method is to insure both cars on the same policy.

Aidanb

posted on 8/4/04 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure I can't insure two cars on the policy I have now, but I think an extra two years no claims (touch wood) would benefit more.
Keeping the policies separate would also help if I had an accident i guess.

Peteff

posted on 9/4/04 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Limited milage?

I don't think any company does NCD on a limited milage policy, definitely not on a second vehicle. It's a new customer to them. My insurance will carry NCD on for 4 years between policies.

[Edited on 9/4/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 9/4/04 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance Companies

IMHO - I can understand how you could build up NCD using two policies. However, if you have an accident you must disclaim this on BOTH policies so you loose NCD on them both!

Either way with these guys it's "Heads I win, tails you loose!"

Better seeing it as damage limitation!

Looking above comments, I'm amazed at how consistant insurance companies are at being inconsistant!

[Edited on 9-4-04 by Hellfire]

Aidanb

posted on 9/4/04 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Is that true? I thought you'd only lose NCD on the policy you claimed on?

I'm also believed that a lot of companies wouldn't give NCD on a limited mileage year, because it isn't really a proper year if you know what i mean, but maybe there are a handful of companies that do?

200mph

posted on 10/4/04 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
you'd only lose NCD on the policy you claimed on, but you'd have to disclose it to your other policy, which would increase come renewal time (remember the question of any accidents/convictions in the last 3 years)

i hate them all

Mark

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.