Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 gearbox mount Locost
Kartdad

posted on 7/11/09 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 gearbox mount Locost

does anyone have any good off the shelf suggestions for a Type 9 mount or a photograph of their solution. any suppliers would be most welcome many thanks KD
James

posted on 7/11/09 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Just buy a replacement rubber mount from Westfield for £15 (whilst not telling them what car it's for) and weld a couple of strips of 3mm plate in the tunnel with ~8mm holes.

Easy!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

austin man

posted on 7/11/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Fiesta engine mount can aslo be used
again weld strips to chasis to carry the mount.

I have also seen the standard mount being used , people cut it down and weld to the chasis

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

SeaBass

posted on 7/11/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'd use something a bit heavier than 3mm strip though... I've seen the gearbox mount support bow and bend on some sevens before. It takes the weight of the box and sometimes some of the engine too depending on how the mounts are placed.

blakep82

posted on 7/11/09 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
a peice of box section is a better idea i think. my car has 2 brackets underneath for a cross memeber to be bolted in. i made something like this-

Description
Description

[Edited on 7/11/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/11/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a westy one installed with a cradle of 25x25x3mm angle iron Rescued attachment GearboxMount3.jpg
Rescued attachment GearboxMount3.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/11/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
This was my solution. Just ground off the rivets from the original Sierra one and used the base plate and rubber.

Gearbox Mount
Gearbox Mount

HTH

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Kartdad

posted on 8/11/09 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks to al,l several ideas brilliant. Will set about the job with confidence

KD

procomp

posted on 8/11/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The so called Westfield one ( copy of the ford item ) is quite expensive at Westfield. The cheapest place to buy it is. Believe it or not CATERHAM.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 8/11/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I did the same as daddylonglegs - used the centre part of the standard Sierra mount.

Remember to use the peculiar bell-shaped washer that goes onto the bolt underneath the mount - it reduces the amount that the rubber can move around.

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/11/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I did the same as daddylonglegs - used the centre part of the standard Sierra mount.

Remember to use the peculiar bell-shaped washer that goes onto the bolt underneath the mount - it reduces the amount that the rubber can move around.

I tried that, but the Sierra mount gave so much movement that the gearbox could hit the chassis on both sides, the westy one is almost rigid.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.