Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Turbo
Zetec-Turbo

posted on 7/11/09 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Turbo

ok reason Im on here is to get my head around a Zetec turbo conversion ok. I hope that I can get some pointers on this, I know its possible. And I know its not expensive cos a mate recently purchased a Focus 1.8 with a turbo fitted that apparently was mounted on a CVH manifold. If this is true, then its a relatively easy job, right???

And be gentle on me please!

mark chandler

posted on 7/11/09 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
look for posts by djtom
dlatch

posted on 7/11/09 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a cvh head on a zetec bottom end. popular conversion for the RS turbo boys
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 7/11/09 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
This site has lots of info
coozer

posted on 7/11/09 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning a zetec turbo build and the way I look at is....

Low comp pistons either by changing the pistons (expensive) or a decomp plate (cheaper), a Rover turbo inlet, focus twisty bit exhaust with turbo flange welded on, a turbo from somewhere, probably a rover T16 job and megasquirt, + just enough boost to give 250bhp!

Then some 4" hoses and a massive intercooler under the nose..

I'm on the lookout for a 2L zetec bottom end if anyone wants to donate to the cause I already have the top end ready

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

madteg

posted on 8/11/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec Turbo

You need a RS TURBO manifold, the bolts do not all line up so you have to cut flange of and weld a zetec one on or make convertion plate up, it does weld quite well. Or would a RS FOCUS on fit as the focus is a Zetec not a Duratech.
ss1turbo

posted on 8/11/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've gone for a 2.0 bottom end, 1.8 head (same as a 2.0), decomp plate, focus N/A manifold with a T25 flange, Saab 9000 T25 and a "reversed" Rover T16 manifold. You may get away with not reversing in on a Locost but i've got bodywork in the way..

Boost Performance (LS1 something dot com) do an exhaust manifold that allows top of bottom mount - has been used in a Westfield with a T3 with apparently good results.

Don't forget ARP rod bolts...

If mine turns out well, then i'll treat it to a set of decent pistons and ditch the decomp plate,

Long live RWD...

djtom

posted on 13/11/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo
I've gone for a 2.0 bottom end, 1.8 head (same as a 2.0)............

1.8 head actually has smaller combustion chambers than 2.0, thus raising the CR if you stick it on a 2.0 bottom end, although not by much (half a ratio?).

quote:
If mine turns out well, then i'll treat it to a set of decent pistons and ditch the decomp plate,

Exactly what I'm doing at the moment, as mine turned out rather well! See new engine build thread here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=110671
Just realised I really need to update that - it's nearly finished!

My first engine (still going strong after a season of trackday abuse) was a budget decomp plate build - 2.0 silvertop, bog standard Mondeo engine. ARP rod bolts, home made log manifold, Mitsubishi TD04H-15G turbo (from a 4l diesel JCB!), cheap external wastegate, Griffin Power inlet manifold (not recommended) and running Megasquirt management through some 460cc Rover Turbo injectors. I use a pace chargecooler which seems to work OK. There's some info in my threads here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=68802
and
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=101532

Tom

[Edited on 13/11/09 by djtom]

[Edited on 13/11/09 by djtom]

ss1turbo

posted on 20/11/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
You and I have very similar thoughts. Tom..

I think i did use a 2.0 head in the end, rather than the 1.8 130PS head i was going to originally (but definately with the 130PS cams). Currently i have the Rover injectors in there with the additional Ford stock 1.8 ones if needed..

I have a Pace chargecooler, but intending to use a Subaru one for ease of fitment in my case.

Long live RWD...

MikeRJ

posted on 21/11/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I'm planning a zetec turbo build and the way I look at is....

Low comp pistons either by changing the pistons (expensive) or a decomp plate (cheaper), a Rover turbo inlet, focus twisty bit exhaust with turbo flange welded on, a turbo from somewhere, probably a rover T16 job and megasquirt, + just enough boost to give 250bhp!

The T25 used in the Rover is pretty small if you are aiming at that sort of power, better to start with a T28 sized turbo.

ss1turbo

posted on 21/11/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using the one from a Saab 9000 - good enough for 250bhp, it seems..anything above that and i'll fit a T28/TD04/T3-esque unit

Long live RWD...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.