Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Colling Fan switch - Blade 893
phil_far

posted on 16/11/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Colling Fan switch - Blade 893

All,
Last weekend I trial tetsed the heating/cooling of my locost. I started up the engine and left it to warm up to its running temperature (idle) and observe. The temperature gauge started moving up slowly and left it to going up till about mid way when I decided to overide the fan switch manually. The fan kicked in and after a minute the needle gradually moved back towards the cold. All was ok

I am running a Civic radiator whith a fan switch in the pipe just exiting the bottom tank. Its coming form a Ford something...everything is brand new.
When would I expect to see the fan kikcing in with respect to the gauge position?

Cheers

Philip

Dangle_kt

posted on 16/11/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I think it depends on the switch itself, as you can get ones that come at different set temperatures.

I am in a similar position, but with it being so cool out at the moment the temp gauge hasnt got anywhere near the fan kicking in yet whilst driving- plus I haven't been stuck in traffic. If I didn;t like what happened I would just buy a different rad switch with lower/hight thresehold

blakep82

posted on 16/11/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
anywhere between about 90 and 105 degrees i think?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ReMan

posted on 16/11/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
About 3/4's across
britishtrident

posted on 16/11/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Fan switch on temperature varies a lot in the 1970s and 80s 93 to 95 degrees was fairly typical for cars, on more recent cars they switch in at higher temperatures often with temperature controlled multispeed fans or two or more fans which cut in at different temperatures. For example 1st speed 106c, 2nd 110c 3rd 115c.

In your case because of your local climate I would consider fitting an additional fan switch wired in parallel fitted in an adaptor in the radiator inlet hose switch at say 93c.

If you get a fan switch for a Volvo 240 or 740 with switches on at 95c and off at 90c The Intermotor part number 50041 It has as an M14x1.5 thread which easy to tap into a radiator hose temperature gauge adapter.

[Edited on 16/11/09 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.