Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car Turntable
darrens

posted on 30/11/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Car Turntable

A friend of mine is developing a car turntable, which would have a number of uses within the car build/restoration aswell as normal use for poeple that hve the room to swing the car round.

It's being developed as a DIY installation with the weights of it such that two men can assemble this easily

He's asked me to dig into such a demand for something like this.

Would anyone on here be interested in such thing. Attached is a rough layout of what is proposed

Cheers

Alan_Thomas

posted on 30/11/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot see the point of it.
A body roller inverts the car and allows easy access to the underneath - really useful.
But why would you want to turn it this way, surely if you want to get to the other end of the car you simply walk around it rather than spin the car around to face you?
- Alan

coozer

posted on 30/11/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would make the turning ring (4) bigger than the width to give some stability.

I remember seeing this on the news along time ago for a lady who had a short drive living on a main road so she could drive straight in, turn it round and straight out again.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

morcus

posted on 30/11/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I would be usefull if you lived on a main road so you could go forward in and forward out. I've got a friend who's always having problems because his road is busy so if tries to go in backwards, people drive up behind him and reversing out is near suicidal.
matt_gsxr

posted on 30/11/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I drive past a house with one of these. It is rather prettier than the diagram shown with what looks like a sun on it. It saves them reversing into a busy road.

Anyway, googling "car turntable" shows up a load of stuff.

What is your friend differentiator? Cost?

Matt

mr henderson

posted on 30/11/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
How far off the ground are the channels that the wheels will sit in? Those channels are either going to have to be very heavy, of they are going to bend, which means they will need to be well off the ground so they don't drag on the ground while turning.

People who have more than one car in thier workshop (like me) will usually just put the cars on dollies (one under each wheel), can swing them around all over the place with those. Being able to move the car from side to side is usally more important than being able to turn it around

ReMan

posted on 30/11/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen them in business car parks in city centres, to maximise parking and when entrys are very narrow to make reversing difficult, but they tend to be a whole circle at floor level so the car can enter and leave at any angle, also avoids any tripping or wheel damage hazzard
jacko

posted on 30/11/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Not cars but at the national train museum in York there is a BIG turn table so they can park lot of trains in a circle
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 30/11/09 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
As said the rotating bit must be as wide as the unit itself to give enough support with a light structure.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
darrens

posted on 30/11/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I think his main target is to be for people turning their cars around so they can drive out forwards and not have a suicide mission reversing out.

Cost wise reckons around the £1500 mark, depending on volume he can shift etc.

Cheers

Miks15

posted on 30/11/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Not cars but at the national train museum in York there is a BIG turn table so they can park lot of trains in a circle

Like thomas the tank engine

RAYLEE29

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Inmo the design is wrong surely most cars are weighted differently front to rear so the stress on the bearings will be v high. The ends of the ramps will need supporting on a track Ray
mediabloke

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
If the channels on the turntable are for the wheels, not to lift the chassis, would these not be cheaper & more practical:
Clicky linky?
Edit: Sorry - just re-read earlier post re. driveway entry / exit.

[Edited on 30/11/09 by mediabloke]

RK

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
I first thought: why doesn't he just play CD's or use an iPod with an FM transmitter, but then I knew it had to be for those BEC boys who have already passed SVA.
morcus

posted on 1/12/09 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
I'd love a record deck in the car, I've seen them on tv with really complex balancing systems. I know in car record players existed in the past but they used a weird sized disc at a strange speed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.