Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SAD
David Jenkins

posted on 6/12/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
SAD

I was just saying to someone that I think I suffer from SAD (seasonally affected disorder) - I get up and travel to work in the dark, sit in the office all day then go home in the dark... then wonder why I find it hard to get motivated. Nothing clinically bad, just a general feeling of being run down and pee'd off.

Anyone else suffer from this?

I know that you can get lamps that are supposed to help with this, but I'd look and feel a right pillock sitting at my desk with a big light panel next to me! Besides, they're bleedin' expensive...

At least the shortest day is only a couple of weeks away, then the days steadily get longer...

[Edited on 6/12/09 by David Jenkins]

scootz

posted on 6/12/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I think to some extent we all suffer naturally from it... cold, wet and dark - not nice!

It's Evolution Baby!

rusty nuts

posted on 6/12/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Been nice and sunny here today in fact almost warm . Must admit I do like a bit of sunshine even if it's freezing.
RK

posted on 6/12/09 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
The lamps aren't expensive, unless you get the whole thing ready to plug in. Just get the fixture, and buy a full spectrum light bulb for it. I used to make them for family members all the time. The hardware store people think you're growing pot, but you can't do anything about that.
welderman

posted on 7/12/09 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
My father in law has SAD, its hard for my kids to accept this, but we have called it another name and its quite funny. We say that Grandad is a Headhog , he will just sit in his chair, coat/dressing gown on, fully clothed, we used to think he was going loopy.
Hes not been to doctors nor will he ever go, hes never ever been in his life .

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

David Jenkins

posted on 7/12/09 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
The worst bit for me is that it's nowhere serious enough to even bother my GP (it isn't, really!) but it's significant enough to make me feel 'off colour', usually when I'm sitting around when I could be doing useful and interesting (like doing stuff on my car).

Its 'symptom' manifests itself as a "can't be *rsed" mood, even though I usually enjoy myself when I get to do whatever needs doing.

Maybe it's not SAD - maybe it's lazyness!

[Edited on 7/12/09 by David Jenkins]

Jasper

posted on 7/12/09 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Seriously, get a special lamp or make one. I had a girl firend with SAD once, she got a light box and used to sit and eat her breakfast in front of it, it really did make all the difference, just 20 mins every morning.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Fozzie

posted on 7/12/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
What Jasper said ^ ^

I have suffered with this in varying degrees for years.......

My GP at the time recommended St Johns Wort and or high dosage Starflower Oil ......you take handfuls, it takes about 6 weeks to kick in, and in all honesty, for me, neither worked.

I usually try and take a late holiday in the sun or a very early in the year one. This is not always practical or possible for peeps.

Failing that always try and get out, even just sitting in the garden whilst the sun is out, and have a cuppa, can give that 'boost'.

Sadly, the holiday I took in October has been largely negated by the rain and dull weather we have had these last few weeks......

Not to mention the surgery I had on my arm last week and the preceeding 3 weeks of antibiotics I had to take.....

The 'light-box' is top of my crimbo wish list, and I'm sure the resourceful can make them...I am sure I have seen plans on tinternet somewhere......I will put in the link when/if I find it, as to buy them, they are quite pricey........and come on we are Locosters aren't we?

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Peteff

posted on 7/12/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Buy some lamps with daylight bulbs and sit and read a happy story or a Sierra manual, don't watch Celebrity come get me out of the jungle or Eastenders Street and find one thing that you can do that makes you feel you've achieved something or get some Tic Tacs to give you a little lift.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

splitrivet

posted on 7/12/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Talking to most of my customers I think most people have had it this year.
The economic climate seems to be the biggest cause there just seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/12/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
My Missy suffers from this, she has a bedside light that rather than rings actually lights up the room to wake you up (fails miserably to wake me though)

at work she has a light panel blasting away too. She says it works very well.

Its also why we always have a holiday in winter for 2wks somewhere warm and sunny, its just a bit of a downer when we come home

[Edited on 7/12/09 by Mr Whippy]

[Edited on 7/12/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 7/12/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
This link may interest a few people, by the sound of it...

DIY SAD lamp

MikeR

posted on 7/12/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
It took me years to realise i suffer from a mild version of this (why do you think the car is taking so long to complete).

I used to have one 60w bulb in my lounge. I now have energy saving 14w + 2x7w & 2x10ishw.

The lounge is brighter, i feel more alive and everyone is happier. Most of the other bulbs in the house are around 14 to 18w. In the garage i pick the natural light strip lights which are more 'white' than the warm glow lights. This also makes it easier to see what your doing.

I've recently noticed that someone has started selling on ebay lights with a white rating of 6500k. Normal bulbs are around 2400k. This means the light is a lot lighter / brighter / whiter / closer to sun light, they're also around 15w energy saving. I'm looking at getting some and seeing how good they are. If you're suffering i'd recommend it ..... oh, the best bit - they where around 4 pounds each (which I think is very cheap for this type of bulb).

(side effect - colours look the same in these bulbs to day light therefore good for people doing arty type stuff)

02GF74

posted on 7/12/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The light colour does not seem to be very important, according to the literature dealing with S.A.D. - just avoid daylight bulbs that emit UV.

in that case you are better of useing white LEDs.

ISTR that the brian/skin detects the light, and not just the eye so canyou make a LED jacket/beret and wear it all the time?

Toltec

posted on 7/12/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I replaced the 2ft tubes in the kitchen light fitting a couple of weeks ago as on had failed and another was starting to flicker. Thought I'd try the triphosphor daylight tubes, they supposed to be 30% brighter for a given power, they certainly give out a very bright and white light.

Tubes

Fitting, you may want a high frequency one though. You can also buy the tube end caps and ballasts etc. separately and make up your own light box.

mistergrumpy

posted on 7/12/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. Had this for a good few years now. Round about 1999 when I joined the RAF I think I first started noticed it. I loathe getting out of bed in the morning, absolutely hate it and find I'm disorientated somewhat. Tried to put my coat in the fridge the other day for no apparent reason. Once I'm at work though I'm kind of focussed and fine but come the end of the shift and just walking across the car park to my car in the dark I'll feel it again. Can't be bothered to go home and sit there in the dark. On my days off I'll literally just sit in and play the computer for 2 days or sit on the internet. I'll notice it and try and leave the house but just end up coming straight back in and sitting sulking. Bloody hate it. I usually try and save my leave for around January to March and hav a week or 2 off and just hibernate.
Summer's for me I love it. I go out more and become social again and am in a great mood.

dmac

posted on 7/12/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a walk outside at Lunchtime (even in the rain) a bit of fresh air and exercise together with whatever daylight there is will work wonders. Get some of your mates to go with you and have a chat about cars, sports, whatever for 15-20 minutes. It make all the difference.

Duncan

Fozzie

posted on 7/12/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmm flourescent tubes always cause me to have migraines, as do those new fandangled light bulbs......

I have got a proper blue daylight bulb in the home office, and that is good.....

David Jenkins

posted on 7/12/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmac
Go for a walk outside at Lunchtime (even in the rain) a bit of fresh air and exercise together with whatever daylight there is will work wonders. Get some of your mates to go with you and have a chat about cars, sports, whatever for 15-20 minutes. It make all the difference.

Duncan

Good thought - but my office is not a good centre for walk-abouts. On 3 roads there are schools... a middle-aged man walking past every day, going nowhere in particular, will attract attention! The only remaining road leads to Shenfield, which only has limited attractions...

Apart from that, it always seems to be peeing down at lunchtime...

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/12/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Got a major shot of depression at the moment.
Last time we tried the drug route we ended up with no balance and permenent nausea.

I know when it comes on as I lose any drive towards my 7 or other toys.

My job suffers as I struggle to fix faults and almost drive into things

Wondering if hypnotherapy is a route to take.

The worse thing is it comes on after a shock or severe stress situation.

Back to the doctors to get the referal to try another route.
My lightbox is the workshop ive got over 60 feet of tubes and its hi lux....

Its more common than you think.....just get fed up of being called a lazy barsteward.

Fozzie

posted on 9/12/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Got a major shot of depression at the moment.
Last time we tried the drug route we ended up with no balance and permenent nausea.

I know when it comes on as I lose any drive towards my 7 or other toys.

My job suffers as I struggle to fix faults and almost drive into things

Wondering if hypnotherapy is a route to take.

The worse thing is it comes on after a shock or severe stress situation.

Back to the doctors to get the referal to try another route.
My lightbox is the workshop ive got over 60 feet of tubes and its hi lux....

Its more common than you think.....just get fed up of being called a lazy barsteward.

You need at least 10,000 lux ..........with around 30-40 minutes.......

Not sure if hypnotherapy would help, it cannot give you the chemicals/hormones your body is craving

I'm feeling a bit 'blerrrgh' today, I had minor surgery on my arm last Thursday, went back for the wound to be dressed today, and came out with a seasonal flu jab in one arm, and an oink flu jab in t'other..... (even though I am more than sure I had oink flu back in July)......ah well...it can only get better.....

Fozzie

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.