Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just plain rude....
JoelP

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
bollox to you all

these threads make me paranoid, i have to go and check if i've fogotten someone...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ReMan

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I'm crap too.

It annoys me that peopls dont achnowledge replys to post, not to be drowned in glory and thanks, but just to know which approach was taken or what fixed the fault for instance

But I've probably done it myself, so 1000 pardons to one and all

bmseven

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for this post

As for spelling and punctuation it's a Car Forum not an English language Forum

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

02GF74

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
.... but we already had this topic come up before.

are we sufferning from amnesia?

hampshe

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I answered a members request once about doing a small bit of welding, the guy came to my work and did not say much about his car or anything infact.
When I had done the welding, he said thanks and just walked out!
It would have been nice if he offered something, but to be more appreciative would have been a good start.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
victor meldrews the lot of you

It must be a slow news day today

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

blakep82

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
some of the spelling on here is more of an issue for me lol

and the mis's u'se of appostropy's

YES! and even worse the misuse of "apostrophy,s" when they don't even use an apostrophy, but a comma!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RAYLEE29

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
defINaTely! Guilty your Honour? maybe, lol honestly thought this forum was about building cars agreed on the thanks bit and rudeness but punctuation and grammar wtf left school nearly 30 years ago was crap at english then and not much better now Ray
pdm

posted on 8/12/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Since joining I've posted loads of numpty questions all of which have been discussed and with really helpful repsonses.

I've always responded with thanks - and sincerely.

I hope

a) Thanking people will encourage responses to further questions.

b) one day I can also help out some else who is "starting out".

This to me is by far THE best forum I have come across so far for asking questions without the danger of flaming no matter how elementary the query.

It's a credit to this forum that I see it referenced in so many places. It's suprising how many google searches end up with a locost thread which personally I think speaks for itself.

iank

posted on 8/12/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
break and brake... I'll say no more.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 8/12/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I get riled by bad speeling and grandma ( ) - but then I remember that there are real people at the other end of the communication, just like I meet in my local pub.

Some have written skills, others don't, but most are folk I wouldn't mind chatting with while I drink my pint...

[Edited on 8/12/09 by David Jenkins]

Jasper

posted on 8/12/09 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Now after all that I wasn't even gonna bother thanking you all for you kind and helpful input, but I just can't help myself

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

blakep82

posted on 8/12/09 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
^ ha ha, thought you'd been a bit quiet

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I get riled by bad speeling and grandma ( ) - but then I remember that there are real people at the other end of the communication, just like I meet in my local pub.

Some have written skills, others don't, but most are folk I wouldn't mind chatting with while I drink my pint...

very true. however, i used to go on a dance music forum, where most users were from places like eastern europe, holland, germany. basically non english speaking countries. rules of the forum were everything was to be in english, and i have to say, they were much better at their grammar and spelling. just an observation

the forum is www.trance.nu btw

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

contaminated

posted on 9/12/09 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
Now and then I find a post too difficult to read due to spelling errors or grammar, but unless it's really bad it's no big deal. I always try to provide the last post to a thread that I started (with a thank you), but the way the site works makes that more difficult than most forums.

I've had "after thread" contact with quite a few members that I've indulged in PMs with, and met a few. Everyone has been polite to date and I've sent and recieved items FoC - which is what it's all about.

I've not spell-checked mind!

RK

posted on 9/12/09 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
I tawt it wuz an ENGLISH forum. Et, un grand merci a tous pour l'aide jusqu'ici. Sincerement, je serais tout perdu sans vous autres!

Voila... spelled correctly and everyting.

OX

posted on 9/12/09 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
Well i have to many other things to worry about than petty things like this..it does not bother me one bit,no matter how bad the spelling i still know what they mean ,i think some of you just need to get a grip and lighten up . And really who gives a crap if every word isn't spelt right ,,some of you have perfect spelling and grammar but you ask some of the most stupid questions possible and makes me think if you should really be trying to build your own car.
Macbeast

posted on 9/12/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Show me the spell checker that can distinguish between " to ", " two " and "too "

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

02GF74

posted on 9/12/09 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

basically non english speaking countries. rules of the forum were everything was to be in english, and i have to say, they were much better at their grammar and spelling. just an observation

reason is that mr johnny foreigner is taught the rules of English grammar - that does not happen in England.

when I went to school in the last century, we were taught French and German grammar but for English just read books or wrote poxy essays - and a little bit of grammar - finite and infinite verbs are all I can remember and that was it.

Also for F & G, we had a list of words we had to learn and be tested on the next day - boy I hated that - but never for English.

My spelling has improved over the years - I spit on your spell checkers - but I remember not being able to spell sausage at one point!!!

It is assumed that you know all this by just by speaking the language, sadly that does not translate to writing it correctly either.

The lowering of standards in school plus the influx of English-not-as-first-language people into this country and txt spk will mean that standards will further decline.

I took a bit of time and care to ensure the are few grammatical and spellllling mistakes but usually I don't - as long as the message can be understood - and sometimes an error can add to the interest so I leaf them in.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Getting all hung up on grammar and spelling on an open forum is a bit petty tbh taking into account that someone has taken the time to reply, usually in a bid to help another. Try using some of the other forums on the web that you have to wait days for just one reply, we’re spoilt here.

You also have to remember the difference between too & to etc is very hard for some people, folk with dyslexia for example (like me) but I appreciate it can be hard for some people to relate to.

It does not mean their contribution is any less helpful whether spell or pronounced right, its not university challenge, just a car forum.

I’d say about 95% of posts go unreplied with a thank you, sometimes it would be nice to see a bit of thanks (I try to do that myself) but I suppose folk are just after a quick answer and then go elsewhere

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 9/12/09 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Although people have started discussing spelling etc, the original idea of the thread was about manners, or the lack of them.

It's really all about having consideration for the feelings of others. If someone has gone to a bit of effort to help someone else out, then it's nice if the person who has been helped acknowledges that.

I'm well aware that some people are not good at spelling, and that they can't help that, which is why I have never complained about poor spelling on this forum. I did complain once about people not using capital letters, but that isn't about basic inability so much as realising that having a capital letter at the start of a sentence makes it easier for the post to be read. Doesn't make a lot of difference, but it does make a bit. Again, it's about consideration for others.

alistairolsen

posted on 9/12/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
As a complete aside....

is Dyslexia far more common than I thought, or is it simply a function that technical hobbies attract dyslexics?

I don't mean anything by it beyond idle curiosity, but this thread isn't the first time Ive noticed it on car forums?

My Build Thread

Staple balls

posted on 9/12/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
As a complete aside....

is Dyslexia far more common than I thought, or is it simply a function that technical hobbies attract dyslexics?

I don't mean anything by it beyond idle curiosity, but this thread isn't the first time Ive noticed it on car forums?

ooh. Interesting thought that, going further utterly off topic, I seem to remember dyslexia is quite common in people with ADD and the like, and a lot of ADD type people seem to be very technically inclined.

MikeR

posted on 9/12/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
i've noticed that (i'm dsylexic) - although i'm curious how many people have been diagnosed by a psychologist as dsylexic (me) and how many people just think they are (i never did until the diagnosis).
alistairolsen

posted on 9/12/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I know autism is common in technical circles due to fanaticism/attention to detail and the interests people therefore hold, just I've noticed it with dyslexia too!

Could also just be that a high proportion of dyslexic people reply to a thread moaning about spelling and therefore this isn't a representative sample

My Build Thread

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
i've noticed that (i'm dsylexic) - although i'm curious how many people have been diagnosed by a psychologist as dsylexic (me) and how many people just think they are (i never did until the diagnosis).

Was diagnosed as a kid in school by learning support, have improved a lot over the years but what I often read/write can be totally different to what I think at the time, its only when I then proof read it I realise what nonsense I have put down. Every post I do has to be done in MS word if it has any chance of being readable by others. My maths has probably suffered the worst, I’m for some reason unable to picture numbers in my head yet am very artistic and good at technical drawing. Also good at solving geometric puzzles but hopeless at formulas etc which have to be learnt as rhymes instead.

Fortunately after my all 10k posts I’m starting to get the hang of grammar

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.