Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Focus Alternator
Blackbird Rush

posted on 13/12/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Focus Alternator

Had a problem with the tin top today, a whine has started (comming from the belt end of the engine) 2.0L Duratec 55 plate.

The battery light comes on below about 2000rpm

Looking at the area all the belts seam OK.

Could this be an alternator failure, bearings?

Car has only done 35K miles.

Common problem?

Thanks for any advice

Ash

rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Use a multi meter and check the charging rate ! Should be around 14v
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 13/12/09 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem on my mg zr, the charge light would only stay off below1800rpm. It was a faulty alternator

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

02GF74

posted on 13/12/09 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
aren't the pulleys susceptible to seizing?

is it easy to slacken the belt and try to spin alternator and pulleys to see if that is the case?

(can't remember but this is not the timing belt - if it is and pulley seized, you risk the belt snapping, not good for yer valves/pistons if the engine is runnig)

rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

is it easy to slacken the belt and try to spin alternator and pulleys to see if that is the case?

(can't remember but this is not the timing belt - if it is and pulley seized, you risk the belt snapping, not good for yer valves/pistons if the engine is runnig)

Duratec has a timing chain and a timing chain fault wouldn't cause the battery light to come on below 2000rpm!

sminney

posted on 13/12/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird Rush
Could this be an alternator failure, bearings?

Car has only done 35K miles.

Common problem?

Thanks for any advice

Ash

yes - its the alternator. Mine did this 2 months after warranty expired! had the same wine, less than 12v at the battery when the engine was running.....

good news is its an easy job - accessible from below, there's a nice spring loaded tensioner at the top, nearest the slam panel to get the belt off, its a bit tight to get the access, biggest issue i found was getting it out below after it was off the block. There's an A/C line in the way, but managed to wiggle it around it.

at your nearest fraud dealer for £170 + exchange surcharge (or it was last year when i did mine)

HTH

[Edited on 13/12/09 by sminney]

speedyxjs

posted on 13/12/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Duratec has a timing chain and a timing chain fault wouldn't cause the battery light to come on below 2000rpm!

Alternators belt driven though

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
How 's that going to damage the valves and pistons????
Blackbird Rush

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Well as suspected it is the Alternator, got 6 miles yesterday morning before the battery went flat!

all was well (apart from the whine - no batt light) untill suddenly when pulling up at a roundabout the electrics started to go a bit haywire, so i found the nearest layby to call the RAC.

Car is now resting in my local garage after the ordeal, surgery due today, so hope to discharge back to me later on (with my wallet a bit lighter!)

The guy fixing it for me said that this is really common with modern cars, the Alternators just dont last very long......

Ta for the help.

Ash

Angel Acevedo

posted on 15/12/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator whine

Think of it as a go-no go audible warning, you wouldn´t keep driving with a low oil pressure light do you?
If you rebuild before failure, it is cheap.
Bearings fail before brushes (most likely), then when it whines, disassemble, change bearings and brushes put back together and off you go....

PS: I think there´s a link posted here to a how to rebuild one. I think it´s too late to do a search

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.