Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Checking Valve Timing on Zetec
FrankP

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Checking Valve Timing on Zetec

Hi,

I am working through reasosn why mt car wont start and have now arrived at valve timing.
I took the cam belt off to renew the water pump and maybe I nudged the cams along a nitch or two. which would explain the backfing etc.

How can I check the valve timing I have the engine at TDC noe but cant see any marks on the cam pulleys - do I have to take the engine aprt to test this?

Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Frank

pmw

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I did a similar thing on my blacktop. To ensure timing was right I undid the bolts on the camshaft drive pulleys, then slid a 5mm bar into the other end of the camshafts - this ensures they're TDC. I then put a steel rod down into #1 cylinder to align TDC on that cylinder (making sure to account for the small amount of "play" as the crank shaft goes over TDC). Then put the cam belt back and tighten the pulley drive bolts. All seemed to fire up fine.
r1_pete

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
You need a couple of special tools, one to lock the crank in the correct position, the other for the cams.

Now I just happen to have sold my Zetec engined car, won't be doing another and have the tools.

£12 inc post and they are yours.

Silver or blacktop? I've a haynes blackie manual for a focus, make me an offer if you want it, and a pdf for silvers I can email you.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snakebelly

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
take the cam cover off, in the back of both cams is a slot, if you line up both slots and lock them together with a bar then the cams are set right, there is also a hole at the rear of the block to take a tdc pin, to be honest i would by the kit its cheap as chips and means you are gauranteed to get it right,

Linky

this kit will do both silver and blacktop zetecs

HTH

snakebelly

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
lol 3 simultanious replies!
pmw

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
you don't need any special tools, just a 5mm thick piece of steel
snakebelly

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
but the tdc locking pin makes it more accurate, i know this is locost but £13 delivered for the right tool for the job in my opinion is worth it when it comes to things like valve timing
Danozeman

posted on 18/12/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
No tools for me. theres a mark on the crank pulley which lines up with a mark on the block for tdc. The metal strip/long spanner in the camshafts.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

adithorp

posted on 18/12/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ifyou've had the crank nut undone you need the locking pin to set it as the timing pulley isn't keyed to the crank. Otherwise you can do it with just a bar at the rear of the cams.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

FrankP

posted on 18/12/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys

This is Great....

stuart_g

posted on 18/12/09 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Ifyou've had the crank nut undone you need the locking pin to set it as the timing pulley isn't keyed to the crank. Otherwise you can do it with just a bar at the rear of the cams.

adrian

Yes the pulley is keyed with a woodruff key and no you don't need to lock the crank off just the cams as stated above.

mcerd1

posted on 18/12/09 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
^^ its the Zetec SE's (1.25, 1.4, 1.6 & 1.7) that don't have the bottom pulley keyed

the E's (1.8 & 2.0) all have a key

[Edited on 18/12/09 by mcerd1]

-

rusty nuts

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
DO NOT use the cam timing bar to lock the cams so that the pulley bolts can be undone , YOU WILL break the cams. Make up a tool to fit into the cam pulley holes to use when undoing /tightening. As said you don't really need the crank timing tool if you use the correct mark on the pulley
adithorp

posted on 19/12/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
^^ its the Zetec SE's (1.25, 1.4, 1.6 & 1.7) that don't have the bottom pulley keyed

the E's (1.8 & 2.0) all have a key

[Edited on 18/12/09 by mcerd1]

True. I've just got the SE on my mind having done 3 in the last 2 weeks.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.