New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oh dear ....
02GF74

posted on 19/12/09 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
oh dear ....

now where is my checque book ...

iank

posted on 19/12/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Always wondered why people think the last 1m of mains cable is important considering the 10's of m of regular copper from the fusebox and the miles of "same as everyone else gets' cable to the powerstation.

P.T.Barnum was right.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

smart51

posted on 19/12/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
P.T.Barnum was right.

"There's a sucker born every minute"

Ninehigh

posted on 20/12/09 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah! Better bass performance on my laptop transformer!

I wonder how long I can say "duuuhhhhh" for?

Confused but excited.

posted on 21/12/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just asked them:
"And it's connected in series with 10 metres of ordinary 2.5 twin and earth.
Jeez I wish I had the balls to write crap like that, or do you actually believe this shit?"
Can't wait for the reply.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Peteff

posted on 21/12/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Still 5 available, I can't believe it I thought they'd have been snapped up by now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeR

posted on 21/12/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
hold on - if you have a noisy cable and put a filter at the end - would it reduce the noise?

I'm not going to even try to defend spending a STUPID amount of money on a cable - but is there possibly something in SOME of their claims.

(nb i've got tinnitus so can no longer hear a lot of difference in different quality speakers - just posing the question)

Toltec

posted on 21/12/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Merlin Cables
Our Mains cables actually combat background noise resulting in a dramatic reduction in high-frequency distortion and listener-fatigue, most notably at higher sound pressure levels.

Translation -
When you have the HiFi cranked up so loud your ears are bleeding the sound will be less distorted. Honest, really it will, even though you won't actually be able to tell the difference at that volume.

TBH, if you were that bothered by the distortion passed through from the mains by your obviously crap £50K power supply why not just run your class A amp off some big batteries.

Liam

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
My god I've never read quite so much bu****it about a cable before - and I've read a lot of audiophile bu****it! LOL when they start talking about not decreasing the signal strength or bandwidth of the frickin mains - obviously even confused themselves with their own crap into thinking they're talking about the signal path.

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Just asked them:
Jeez I wish I had the balls to write crap like that, or do you actually believe this shit?"

Hmmmm - you've pointed out a serious problem there. You'll need plenty of th is then. Reasonable at £60/metre.

Liam

edit: huh what's goin on with me link text??? cant fix it

[Edited on 22/12/09 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
t.j.

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you send me the money I will beem the distortion away!!!

What a nonsense...

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Confused but excited.

posted on 24/12/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
My god I've never read quite so much bu****it about a cable before - and I've read a lot of audiophile bu****it! LOL when they start talking about not decreasing the signal strength or bandwidth of the frickin mains - obviously even confused themselves with their own crap into thinking they're talking about the signal path.

quote:
Just asked them:

Hmmmm - you've pointed out a serious problem there. You'll need plenty of th is then. Reasonable at £60/metre.

Liam

edit: huh what's goin on with me link text??? cant fix it

[Edited on 22/12/09 by Liam]

Just sent him an e-mail now, concerning feeding a ring main from a 16A breaker as he recomends. And the legality of single covered mains cable.

Edited to say; Still no reply to the first one.

[Edited on 24/12/09 by Confused but excited.]

flak monkey

posted on 24/12/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Lol, just a little excessive.

There is something to be said for a filtering mains cable on decent hi-fi equipment, but they are available for about 1/10th of that price!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Ninehigh

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

There is something to be said for a filtering mains cable on decent hi-fi equipment, but they are available for about 1/10th of that price!

David

You're serious? How much of a difference could that make to the average person?

gazza285

posted on 24/12/09 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

10A 240V rfi filters are less than £30 delivered from Farnells, can't see the point though, once its all been through a ferrite core transformer, rectified and smoothed out with the DC caps what difference is filtering the mains going to make? I spent years in the music industry, working in studios and live, with industry standard equipment and nobody believes any of this shit. We never used any fancy filtering on any of the gear, nearest we got was a Furmann rack supply unit, because it comes with two built in rack lights. Price? About £100.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 29/12/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:

David

You're serious? How much of a difference could that make to the average person?

the average person with undamaged hearing I reckon would notice a difference.

I dabble with interconnects, speaker cable etc. but nowhere near those prices.

I bought 2 maplin mains filters, £ 70 ish each and did notice improvement in bass as well as less hum from the amp transformers (note this is not hum on the signal but coming from the cases).

you can provide an explation as to why cleaning up the mains will imrpove the sound.

Confused but excited.

posted on 1/1/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just asked them:

Still waiting

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.