Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RANT 2: Reduce spending on further education but increase benefits
MK9R

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
RANT 2: Reduce spending on further education but increase benefits

following on from my thread a couple of weeks ago
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=126461

So now this fantastic government thinks saving £400million by cutting further education and fining universities £3700 for every extra student it takes on over the allocated numbers BUT then piling extra millions more into the work shy benefit giveaway!!!

Reward the spongers and punish the potential people who are needed to fund the ever growing non contributing population

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Anne Onymous

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations! It must have taken some doing on (this forum), but you win the award for the most small minded, half witted, thoroughly offensive post on here. Well done.
balidey

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anne Onymous
, but you win the award for the most small minded, half witted, thoroughly offensive post on here. Well done.

Err, looks like your small minded, half witted, thoroughly offensive post is a close second.

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
What is the point of educating people when there aren't the jobs? Unemployment is rising more people are signing on the money has to come from somewhere.

Paul

UncleFista

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Cleotis
What is the point of educating people when there aren't the jobs? Unemployment is rising more people are signing on the money has to come from somewhere.

Paul

Bingo !

I read a few months ago that the government want half of all school leavers to go on to get a degree.
WTF are they gonna do after leaving uni with a degree ?

Are we just gonna have millions on the dole while we bus in eastern europeans to do the "real" work ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

balidey

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
But you can't stop educating people because unemployment has reached critical mass.
Obesity has reached a higher level, so do we stop producing food.

In my mind its more to do with 'cause and effect'. If unemployment is too high find out why and remedy that. Its probably more to do with the way our industry has been shafted over the years.

Too many people, not enough jobs. So either create more jobs, or reduce the number of people. The solution offered above dose neither, it just means the number of people without jobs are uneducated. Great, just what we need.

But to stop or limit education seems ridiculous to me.

tegwin

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes there are a shortage of jobs... but we still need well educated graudates to fill those areas that need workers... and we will eventually pull out of this hole.... when we do we need more trained people and less dossers...

By the posts above I get the impression that you are resigned to collecting benefits and have no aspirations to go and learn new skills.. Joy!

On a different note... why do I get the feeling the gov will cut funding for "proper degrees" IE medicine, engineering etc.... and not touch the pointless "media football" degrees....

[Edited on 23/12/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

smart51

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
I read a few months ago that the government want half of all school leavers to go on to get a degree.

Getting half of them with 5 "good" GCSEs would be a good start.

Look how Anne Onymous' first post is to criticise the opinion of a regular poster. Do you think they registered especially to make that reply?

As for the OP, we're having a spot of financial bother at the moment. Cutting HE budgets for a year is unpleasant but perhaps preferable to, say, treating cancer patients. Given the level of bother putting up anything sounds like the wrong thing to do. If we were going to put something up at the moment, benefits wouldn't be top of my list.

MK9R

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
i'll ignore the first post as its been posted by someone without the bollox to do it under their own login or just a randomn halfwit.

Not sure if my post came across correctly, I agree we have to cut spending to get us out of debt, and if further education or even (god forbid) NHS, Policing etc then i can accept it, but not when spending is increased on the biggest single flawed system draining this countries budget!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hampshe

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Everybody has a right to their opinion, the first poster is obviously a d**k head for being so rude about a regular poster, shame they cannot be blocked somehow
Dangle_kt

posted on 23/12/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
the first reply may have been from someone who has recently lost their job... there are a few regularls on this forum- and if so then I don't blame them for not using their regular login as they are having a rough enough time already without having to put up with someone calling them "work shy" or "spongers"

I dont disagree with the original post though - its not the best use for a government who are skint - but to be fair I bet its only tiny compared to how much Britain is spending on medeling in other countries domestic situations....

mr henderson

posted on 23/12/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
There's no doubt that there is an obscene amount of money wasted in higher education, much of it on courses that have no application to the world of work (history of art, engilsh literature, medieval studies etc etc) and that many students treat their three years as a sort of holiday.

The only way the government can get universities to focus on what is really important and what isn't is to reduce the funds.

JoelP

posted on 23/12/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
unis should charge more for less useful courses, so proper degrees should be well subsidised, but something like 'surf studies' (from plymouth apparently) should be paid from the students pocket.

Cant comment on the benefits system changes, as i dont know what aspect has changed. However, theres definately scope for saving money in there somewhere!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

StevieB

posted on 23/12/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Dangle, I think there's a distinct line that needs to be drawn between those who are currently out of work and need to claim benefits (ie, those who have made a significant contribution to the system already and will be working again as soon as they can), and those who sponge off the system withour any intention of making any contribution to society in general (never mind the government coffers).

I don't know everyone on this forum in person, but I would be willing to wager that by the very nature of the hobby that brings people here, they are unlikely to be the work shy types!

With regard to education, the reason the government would want people to stay in education is to keep them off the unemployed stats - at least until the economy starts up again and there's jobs once more.

There's been some talk of cutting the costs through reducing the length of a degree course. I think the best wayt o do this is to get rid of summer holidays and just stick a 2 week break in there instead. That way you could squeeze 3 semesters into a year rather than 2.

That would reduce the cost of eductaion to the students/parents rather than the state, which IMHO is more important than cutting government budgets. There's been far too much baling out of institutions/banks and cutting of budgets to fund the bale outs. All the while, those who pay taxes are suffering and the only return/support we all receive is the dole money we get when our employers/businesses fail and put us out of work.

Dangle_kt

posted on 23/12/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Stevie, your absolutly right- I think the original post lumped everyone in as a waster if on benefits - which as you pointed out is not the case.

Maybe someone was having an understandably bad day and took things the wrong way. hence the reply.

I was just pointing it out, as everyone was getting mad about the reply, and figured I'd try and give a possible reason.

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Dangle, I think there's a distinct line that needs to be drawn between those who are currently out of work and need to claim benefits (ie, those who have made a significant contribution to the system already and will be working again as soon as they can), and those who sponge off the system withour any intention of making any contribution to society in general (never mind the government coffers).

I don't know everyone on this forum in person, but I would be willing to wager that by the very nature of the hobby that brings people here, they are unlikely to be the work shy types!

With regard to education, the reason the government would want people to stay in education is to keep them off the unemployed stats - at least until the economy starts up again and there's jobs once more.

There's been some talk of cutting the costs through reducing the length of a degree course. I think the best wayt o do this is to get rid of summer holidays and just stick a 2 week break in there instead. That way you could squeeze 3 semesters into a year rather than 2.

That would reduce the cost of eductaion to the students/parents rather than the state, which IMHO is more important than cutting government budgets. There's been far too much baling out of institutions/banks and cutting of budgets to fund the bale outs. All the while, those who pay taxes are suffering and the only return/support we all receive is the dole money we get when our employers/businesses fail and put us out of work.

MK9R

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Thanks Stevie, your absolutly right- I think the original post lumped everyone in as a waster if on benefits - which as you pointed out is not the case.

Maybe someone was having an understandably bad day and took things the wrong way. hence the reply.

I was just pointing it out, as everyone was getting mad about the reply, and figured I'd try and give a possible reason.

quote:

Sorry was not lumping everyone on benefits into the one group of workshy fops, i totally agree with the basic philosophy of a benefit system, it was merely targeting the work shy and spongers who don't deserve any kind of benefit and who have or will never contribute financially and probably socially to this country

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and i've had a bad few days, so using this rant as a bit of a venting tool!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

austin man

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
What I find really annoying is the amount of vacancies there are out there and people refusing the work because "its not really what they want to do" oh to be able to be so choosey. Ive just witnessed someone refusing to attend an interview for a £27k job because it could take and hour to get there on a bad day

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Confused but excited.

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
That way you could squeeze 3 semesters into a year rather than 2.

Now that would be an achievment.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Andi

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
That way you could squeeze 3 semesters into a year rather than 2.

Now that would be an achievment.

I think your on to something there. Schools could follow suit and cut off the summer holidays.........
Savings for all of society, and with full time jobs for tutors.

[Edited on 23/12/09 by Andi]

SteveWalker

posted on 24/12/09 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

That won't work though - the Summer break is not non-work time for the lecturers. It is the time that they spend on their research projects ... the ones that pull in funding from industry and venture capitalists and profits from discoveries. Without this, the university research system and universities as a whole would simply collapse.

Reducing the length of degrees is not that good an idea at all though. Many other countries have four or even five year degrees and they regard our three year courses as pitifully inadequate and therefore our graduates as second class.

The increased pressure of shortened courses would also cause problems for many students. Some courses may well be "lightweight," but by no means all - when I did my degree twenty years ago, we were expected to attend 25 hours of lectures a week and carry out an additional 50 hours of assignments, reading, etc. only lengthy holidays allowed us to spread some of this out rather than constantly struggling with it. On occasions we were faced with nine separate six week assignments due in in the same week!

RK

posted on 24/12/09 at 02:49 AM Reply With Quote
No university level degree is a waste of time, and those that get them, consistently earn more than those that don't.

This is from studies based on a society that has not had a class based system for centuries - which sort of complicates things. So paying for university students is a good thing in the long run for governments. You can't import ALL workers; some have to come from home to tell the newcomers what to do!

On the other hand, your government is desperate. There is NO MORE MONEY. It has all been wasted on paying those uselessly educated people (who may have Fine Arts degrees too) like doctors and nurses, treating those horrible elderly people. Get rid of the poor, the sick and the old, and your financial problems disappear.

My own province is supposed to be the highest taxed place in the Western world, so I know where you're coming from.

skodaman

posted on 24/12/09 at 03:41 AM Reply With Quote
" Get rid of the poor, the sick and the old, and your financial problems disappear."
Jeez RK wasn't the last person proposing this a short,little Austrian guy?

Skodaman

oldtimer

posted on 24/12/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I do like the idea of more 'useful' degrees having lower charges. I think waste in other areas, such as the NHS, is more serious, however. The single teenage mother gets own home at tax payers expense is another issue that needs sorting quick smart. Only my thoughts
RK

posted on 24/12/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
My point is, there is no such thing as a less useful degree: they all pay off to society eventually, by the facts and figures indicating higher earning by those holders.

And there have been many who thought exactly like that short little guy with the weird mustache, but they hide it under guise of "cuts needed to Peter to pay Paul". It's all about who your political friends are.

I have no opinion on your present leaders and I have no right to because I don't live there!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.