Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HDD Enclosures
Hellfire

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
HDD Enclosures

My old PC is no longer working and I've removed the SATA Hard Drive with a view to hopefully retrieving some of the files on it, photos, videos etc.

I was hoping that I could buy an enclosure for it and use it as an external hard drive but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Most of the HDD enclosures seem to be for 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" HDD's

The dimensions of my HDD are 4" x 5.75" x 1" and I can't find an enclosure to house it I'm wondering how I can connect the old hard drive without opening up the new PC box.

Any advice for a novice?

Phil

mr henderson

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
It almost certainly is one of the standard sizes, my inclination would be to take it out and go to Maplins or PC World, show it to them and get the one that fits.

I got one for the HDD out of my old laptop, Maplins didn't have one in stock, turned out PC World did, and were quite a bit cheaper.

Scotty

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
odds on is that it is a 3½" drive, if you do get a enclosure for it, make sure it supports sata drives as thats what you have NOT pata as thats the older style interface

something like this ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143544

[Edited on 26/12/09 by Scotty]

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

britishtrident

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
99.99% of Desktop PC use 3.5 inch drives the smaller ones are are Laptop drives although they sometimes are used in ultra compact fan less PCs.

Try this search on ebay

hard disk enclosure 3.5 -ide

Then use advance search to restrict your search to "Items Located in United Kingdom"

Also important to avoid handling your drive as much as possible --- they are ver easy to zap with built uo static.

[Edited on 26/12/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
isn't the dimension for the actual size of the disc platters in which case yours would be a 3.5"

HTH

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Hellfire

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
What does the 3.5" refer too? Is it the actual size of the HDD case or some internal component?

Phil

Staple balls

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
As liam said, it's a 3.5" drive.

The spares I have on my desk all measure around 4" x 5.75"

zilspeed

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
It's the whirly bits inside which are 3.5".

You can either get a SATA 3.5" enclosure to permanently house it or a docking station which you can plut it into.
These house the drive vertically and have a usb connection to the host PC.

I would go for the enclosure to keep it safe and secure.

Hellfire

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Think I'll go for the one that Scotty has posted a link to. Just hope I haven't handled it too much already......

Phil

Staple balls

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Oh, and it's not the platters, nothing to do with them, their diameter can vary a fair amount (and are usually more like 3.75" in standard drives)

They're called 3.5" because they fit the same bays as 3.5" floppy drives.

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Think I'll go for the one that Scotty has posted a link to. Just hope I haven't handled it too much already......

It's remarkably difficult to kill a HDD that's not running, just stick it on a shelf out the way and it'll be fine.

[Edited on 26/12/09 by Staple balls]

G.Man

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
2.5, 3.5 and 5.25 refers to the original reference size of the platters inside the case. (the actualy disks themselves).

They no longer actually use those size disks but use it as a reference to the "form factor".

It is a legacy naming process from the days of the original PC. Back then floppy disks were 3.5 or 5.25 in size and the case required a mount to allow the 3.5 or 5.25 inch drive to fit.

In todays terms a 3.5 inch drive uses 3.74 inch platters (approx) and fits in a 4 (approx) inch hole.

Your drive sounds like it is a 3.5 inch drive for which you will need a 3.5inch case.

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Hellfire

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Just one other question before I go off and look for one. What's the difference between IDE and SATA?

There is a label on the HDD warning to use either SATA Power or Legacy Power connector.

Phil

Staple balls

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
The kind of cable and data magic they use.

PATA = IDE

Hellfire

posted on 26/12/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks, that makes it clear.

Phil

austin man

posted on 26/12/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil try copy catz in Rotherham they are in the centre and also have a unit on Barbot Hall, cheaper than both Maplins and PC world

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

dhutch

posted on 26/12/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Also: IDE = ATA = PATA which as said is the older larger conector. Sata is the smaller one.

There is also a reduced size ATA/PATA contector used ror 2.5" laptop drives which is very simular looking to the 3.5" contector and has the same pin-out. Modern 2.5" sata drives use the same conector as 3.5" sata drives.

Its also therefore worth noting the if you just want to rape the data off it, you can bung it stright into any other pc (laptop or desktop) that has sata capabilty with no more than a 25p sata lead.

Daniel

[Edited on 26/12/2009 by dhutch]

prawnabie

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a shed loads of SATA leads if you want one posting hellfire.
britishtrident

posted on 27/12/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls

It's remarkably difficult to kill a HDD that's not running, just stick it on a shelf out the way and it'll be fine.

Quite the reverse --- hard disks are the most vulnerable pC component to static, I have seen three killed by static. I have done it myself and seen two zapped by a workmate who was very prone to static build up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.