Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Tank in fibber glass need help!!
Martin Sports Car

posted on 18/4/04 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Tank in fibber glass need help!!

Hi there,

I plan to make my one fuel tank and plant to make in fibber glass, can someone tell me if it's a good choise???

One more think I'd like to know if to do this tank we need to make with some special resin or we can use the normal one?

Best Regards
Joćo Martins
www.martinsportscar.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Martin Sports Car

posted on 18/4/04 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
one more thing anyone knows any website with pictures to take some ideas???
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 18/4/04 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure on this but I thought that Glassfibre tanks wont get through the SVA.
Like a say could be wrong. Will await more learned advise.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

theconrodkid

posted on 18/4/04 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
think you will find them illegal,and they could crack if hit by a large heavy object like another car

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

britishtrident

posted on 18/4/04 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
GRP tanks were popular in the late 1960s with motorcycle special buliders until a few failed causing fires --- then they were banned pdq.
Mave

posted on 18/4/04 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, why are they prohibited in cars, when they are commonly used in aircraft!?!?!
As for cracking in case of a collision: I think a thin aluminium tank doesn't stand a chance either. Impact-properties of glassfibre are not so bad.

It is important to make sure that the tank is fuel-tight: not all polyester-resins are fuel-resistant for a long time. (most epoxies are). Coating the inside with a special sealant works for aircraft wings.

But: this is all from a technical point. I have no idea if they are SVA-approved.

Martin Sports Car

posted on 18/4/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I have to use in AL. Thank's

Best Regards
Joćo Martins
www.martinsportscar.com

scutter

posted on 18/4/04 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
GRP fuel tanks in aircraft

Most aircraft fuel tanks are either integral ie the structure of the aircraft is sealed off and the fuel pumps fitted into the skin, the sealant can be built up to form a self sealing skin as in the fin of a Tornado.

Or flexable bag tanks that are laced to the structure of the aircraft.

Either way if the aircraft makes an unscheduled landing it's gonna be messy.

All the Best Dan.

Mave

posted on 19/4/04 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, GRP tanks in wings: I have build some Lancair kit-planes: GRP wings, which act as fuel tanks.

If you talk about crashing, o.k.. But when a bird hits the wing, it has to be o.k. (and believe me, a 3 kg bird-impact at a cruising speed of 400 km/h, is a pretty nasty impact).

britishtrident

posted on 20/4/04 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Part of the problem with the motor cycle tanks was the weren't designed -- I think somebody just lifted a mould of a Manx Norton tank and started floging them to Triton builders (Triumph twin engine in Norton feather bed frame hence Triton).

Of course another route to get a light plastic fuel tank is to buy an outboard motor tank.

Mark Allanson

posted on 20/4/04 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Of course another route to get a light plastic fuel tank is to buy an outboard motor tank

You would get a crick in your neck trying to read the fuel guage though

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

britishtrident

posted on 21/4/04 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Of course another route to get a light plastic fuel tank is to buy an outboard motor tank

You would get a crick in your neck trying to read the fuel guage though

Not if you use tiller steering working on the back wheels

scutter

posted on 21/4/04 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Fair call thought the fibreglass wings had bag tanks.

Know far to much about cleaning birds off after impact normally down the intakes of the fast jets.

All the best Dan.

JoelP

posted on 21/4/04 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
im using a boat fuel tank, 23ltr for 20 odd quid IIRC. no guage at all, i plan on using the miles guage and my eyes!

only anticipated problem is a lack of baffles and no return pipe, and maybe problems with the venting arrangements.

i'll let y'all know after SVA what happens...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mark18

posted on 21/4/04 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I remember seeing some car with a tank made out of some kind of soft foam a few mm thick. I can't remember what it was, I think it was a Porsche Boxter, in any case it was mid-engined. Figured it would work well in a locost.

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

britishtrident

posted on 21/4/04 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

snip
only anticipated problem is a lack of baffles and no return pipe, and maybe problems with the venting arrangements.

i'll let y'all know after SVA what happens...

Back in the days of steel outboard tanks they had baffless -- but the bum rusted out of them :-(

The vent and return line problems are easy to solve -- drill a hole for each and use a suitable threaded fitting bulkhead past though the hole by using a loop of welding wire --- I did this on a steel 2 gallon tank using a bolt- in tyre valve fitted with a fibre washer for the pipe fitting.

Some outboard tanks have a gauge fitted in the top but it would be easy to fit a gauge glass made of clear plastic pipe.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.