Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pajero problem
norfolkluego

posted on 27/12/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Pajero problem

Chaps,
Got a bit of a problem I need a bit of help with, my Pajero keeps stretching it's alternator belt to the point where it's no longer keeping the battery fully charged. There's two problems with this
a. The first I know about it is when it won't start
b. the alternator is an absolute b*gger to get at to adjust and taking the belt off completely is a nightmare.
(Incidentaly I'm using genuine Mitsubishi belts and changed it for a new one late last December (2008), it's now too loose to charge again.
What I'd like to do is fit a gauge to tell me the state of the battery or one that tells me that the battery is actually receiving a charge, what do I need to do, always confused between voltmeters and ammeters.

[Edited on 28/12/09 by norfolkluego]

Dangle_kt

posted on 27/12/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
is the alternator or something twisted out of position to stretch the belt, or make it seem stretched?
rusty nuts

posted on 27/12/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bet you tension the belt and not check it after running the engine! Recheck and adjust if needed after a few miles
Miks15

posted on 27/12/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
What your looking for is a voltmeter.

When charging i believe alternators normally give out about 13-14 V

And if it isnt charging, the battery on its own will be about 12V (fully charged)

So mabye a little light to tell you if its below 13V when the engine is running.

MakeEverything

posted on 27/12/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15

And if it isnt charging, the battery on its own will be about 12V (fully charged)

So mabye a little light to tell you if its below 13V when the engine is running.

It should already have one of those with the ignition warning lights.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

norfolkluego

posted on 27/12/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15

It should already have one of those with the ignition warning lights.

Never brings the ignition light on which is why I don't know when it's happening (and to be honest, no I didn't check the belt after fitting)

norfolkluego

posted on 27/12/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
PS both batteries were new about 18 months and 10,000 miles ago so don't think they're a problem.
britishtrident

posted on 27/12/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify

With an alternator a voltmeter will give the most useful information and is much easier to wire up than ammeter. The ignition warning light gives little useful information

Under normal conditions

Engine not running and with no electrical loads the voltmeter should read 12.5 to 12.8 volts if a good battery has a full charge.

With a fully charged battery When the starter motor is operating durring a cold start expect to see more than 10 volts ----- less than 9 volts indicates a battery problem.

With engine running at 2000 rpm with head lights and heated rear window on the volt meter should read no less than 13.4 and not more than 14.9 volts.

With head lights and heated rear window switched off when engine running the volt meter should not read less than 13.4 volts or more than 14.9 volts irrespective of engine RPM.

Any less than 13.4 volts and the battery won't be getting any charge from the alternator.
More than 14.9 volts and the battery will get boiled and all the electrical equipment on the vehicle is at risk from over voltage, automotive bulbs usually have a very short life at anything over 15volts.
Voltage should not jump above 14.9 volts when electrical loads are suddenly switched off.

[Edited on 27/12/09 by britishtrident]

norfolkluego

posted on 27/12/09 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that, look like exactly what I need, how do you wire one up?
Angel Acevedo

posted on 28/12/09 at 03:16 AM Reply With Quote
Voltmeter Diagram

From Summitracing.
For a VDO Gauge.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/vdo-332041.pdf

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 28/12/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
warning lamp should come on though......it does on my shogun!!

When mine was not quite charging right due to a slowly dying alternator it glowed very dimly and got brighter as it died, over a period of a month or so of daily use.........

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

hampshe

posted on 28/12/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the bottom pulley, as these are a weak point on these, they come loose on the crank and could be going out of alignment.
Had this happen on one coming back from Belgium last year

norfolkluego

posted on 28/12/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not heard of the bottom pulley problem, I'll check it tomorrow, thanks for that.
To be fair the car has been incredibly reliable (apart from the belt) since I've owned it so rarely look at at any Pajero forum

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.