Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi RS4 engine
Attackbuilder

posted on 9/1/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Audi RS4 engine

Hi... I'm new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice.
I've just started my first build, an Attack K1, and already its started to get a bit crazy!!! I'll be using an Audi RS4 engine, 4.2 ltr and good for 440 bhp, AP brakes, ferrari 355 running gear etc!! ( told you it was getting silly ). Anyway, i am looking to see if anyone can recommend a good chassis loom supplier. I'll use the engine loom from the Audi, but want to run ancillaries througth a smaller, lighter loom...any ideas??? Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used this motor in a kit and any problems / ideas you might have. Thanks

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/1/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not just make your own wiring loom. Once you get your head round how it all works, it's relatively easy.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ruudbeckers

posted on 9/1/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I though the K1 Attack was no longer sold as kit? Or did you buy this kit many years ago and have you now just started?
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/1/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
premier wiring have a good rep linky

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

zilspeed

posted on 9/1/10 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Scootz will be along shortly.
scootz

posted on 9/1/10 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
An hour late... but I'm not well!

Sicked up all day cos I took too many painkillers last night! God I feel awful!

Just got out of my pit to have some soup... think I'll be seeing it again in a mo!

Will be back in full action tomorrow!

It's Evolution Baby!

jeffw

posted on 10/1/10 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
The V8 in the RS4 is rated by Audi at 414BHP but most of them make 370BHP ish on Rolling Roads. This is due to two factors, 1. the FSI side of the engine means that the inlet valves get coated with oil which makes a complete mess and 2. Audi turned down the power via the ECU on a software revision after a few early failures. Have a look at this thread for more infor http://audisrs.com/ftopic5000-0.php

You will be very lucky to get 440BHP without spending a significant amount of money.

[Edited on 10/1/10 by jeffw]

snapper

posted on 10/1/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Eddie99 has a company making up a sort of DIY loom kit worth talking to him.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

scootz

posted on 10/1/10 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
The V8 in the RS4 is rated by Audi at 414BHP but most of them make 370BHP ish on Rolling Roads. This is due to two factors, 1. the FSI side of the engine means that the inlet valves get coated with oil which makes a complete mess and 2. Audi turned down the power via the ECU on a software revision after a few early failures. Have a look at this thread for more infor http://audisrs.com/ftopic5000-0.php />

Bit unfair Jeff... the 414 bhp claimed figure is at the flywheel (as per most manufacturers standards)... so 370 at the wheels is about in line with 'normal' drops!

As for who to go to for electrics, etc...
linky

It's Evolution Baby!

belgian2b

posted on 10/1/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,
i am runing the KMS ECu on my ZX12 engine.
i ma very pleased of it.
Very easy software and the modular system allows you to implemetn in function of your needs.
The KMS ECU can drive all engine ancillaries ( cooling fan, dasboard,....) but it can not drive the lights , repeaters, etc...

Gerardo

scootz

posted on 10/1/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Not met anyone who's not impressed with them Gerrrdo... certainly seem to be the leaders in Audi V10 / V8 transplant scene!

Just wished I'd gone to them at the start... pretty expensive, so I thought I'd try and do most myself - bit of a mistake and has probably cost me more, but hey-ho... you live and learn!

[Edited on 10/1/10 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

Attackbuilder

posted on 10/1/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies ....
440 / 370 bhp, not that fussed really, its all more than enought in a kit !!!!

The other thing i'm looking at is the gear change, thinking of making a system using hydraulic cylinders, two moved by the lever and two replicating the movement at the box...

Has anyone any experience with making / using a system like this???

In reply to ruddbeckers, ur right, they don't sell the kits anymore!!! I manage to get hold of a kit with some missing parts and have replicated parts as i go along...Been on it for about 3 months now... Hopefully ready for next summer ( 2011 ) !!!!!

NS Dev

posted on 10/1/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm interesting!

Never seen it done and I have seen a lot of things!

Don't see why it wouldn't work either. Source of cylinders could be tricky, but if the seals in some small pneumatic cylinders were happy with the fluid used then all should be ok.

I've used remote pilot hydraulic operated spool valves in my past and they work perfectly, in fact probably the most foolproof and reliable pilot valve systems, and that isn't really any different.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jeffw

posted on 10/1/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Bit unfair Jeff... the 414 bhp claimed figure is at the flywheel (as per most manufacturers standards)... so 370 at the wheels is about in line with 'normal' drops!

The 370 BHP figure is at the crank....Most RS4s make around 30-40 BHP more than the S4 (B6 or B7 wnich is 340 standard). I've done several Rolling Road days with my B5 RS4 and the best B7 result I've seen (out of 20+ cars on the rollers) was 390 BHP for a full Milltek and a remap.

[Edited on 10/1/10 by jeffw]

Attackbuilder

posted on 10/1/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks NS Dev
Just started measuring up the throw required. Can start looking for cylinders tomorrow......I can't see any reason why it won't work and should be reliable too. Can also change the gear lever throw by using different cylinder sizes ??!!!??
Anybody else interested if it works, would be cheaper to make a couple at the same time ?????

scootz

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I would!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.