Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sensor adpators?
scutter

posted on 9/1/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sensor adpators?

Does anyone know where I can get an adaptor to mount my GM water temp sensor into my Zetec thermostat housing?

I believe i need to go up from a 1/4" npt hole in the housing to a 3/8" npt for the sensor.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardlee237

posted on 10/1/10 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
Your best bet is to go to a good hydraulic pipe fittings supplier. Take the bits with you and see what he's got that fits.

In my experience these guys are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

snapper

posted on 10/1/10 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Going from a small hole to a bigger one is always a bit of a problem especially if your sensor is not fully in the flow, may read a little lower than actual.
I would look seriously at another mounting point, possibly using an adaptor in a pipe to the rad

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

gregs

posted on 10/1/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
FWIT on chris-p-duck's zetec, the sensor supplied by extra efi screwed straight into the top of the t'stat housing - i'm sure that is a GM sensor....
scutter

posted on 10/1/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I would prefer to mount it in the orginal hole as it get hotter faster, to regulate my warm up enrichment. It's mounted cylinder head side of the thermostat.

Unfortunately the blacktop sensors are a diffrent size thread to the silvertops, sometimes i wish i'd brought one of those

Pipe fitter next week then.

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fatbaldbloke

posted on 10/1/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I use the standard Zetec sensor and recalibrate the ECU using Easytherm. All you need, as I recall, are 3 or 4 points for resistance across a reasonable temperature range.

For what it's worth mine were:

8 deg C = 68.5k ohm
27 deg C = 26.5k ohm
41 deg C = 16.1k ohm
98 deg C = 2.2k ohm

scutter

posted on 10/1/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ian, hope your keeping well, i've tried the silvertop values in easytherm, the lower temps are ok but upper (over 87deg) go out of kilter.

ATB Dan.

fatbaldbloke

posted on 10/1/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dan,
Yep, all well. Into the winter upgrades now! Working on an airbox and remote filter to hush it up a bit, plus new front brakes.

It's quite easy to calibrate the sensor yourself if you have a multimeter. If you can get a thermometer to read alongside the sensor, great. If not you put some ice in a beaker and let it start to thaw so there's a mix of ice and water you can assume that's zero, stick the sensor in and measure the resistance. Boil some water, let it stabilize at a vigorous simmer and you can assume that's 100. I think I did the middle numbers in luke warm water with a cheap thermometer.

Good luck.
Ian

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/1/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.europaspares.com/INSTRUMENTS/SENDER_ADAPTORS__ETC/1_8_NPT_FEMALE_ADAPTORS_TO_SUIT_MALE_IMPERIAL_BLOCK_THREADS_2020.html

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.