Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone been to Shenzhen in China?
MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone been to Shenzhen in China?

Looks like I'm going to be flying out there next week for work, and I'm absolutely dreading it. The main problem is I can't stand being cooped up in a plane for long periods, I flew to New York a while back and was desperate to get off after about 2 hours, though I don't suffer from claustrophobia normally.

However, looking around tourists guides on the web it appears to be a something of a crime hotspot as well. Just wondering if this means it's like most big cities, London etc. or whether it really is a bit ropey?

skodaman

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've been there a few times when I lived in H.Kong, but circa 1995. I'd watch out for the police and immigration officials as well as the usual criminals.
Saying that I've been to far dodgier places like Manila, Karachi and the West End of Morecambe.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carpmart

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Not as bad as it could be!

I live in the UK and have on customer in Sydney (Aus) and one in Wellington (NZ). To make matters worse, I'm having to go down for a couple of weeks every 3 months at the moment. Its over 24 hrs of travelling to get to NZ. Not good!

I'm off to China second week in March but to Shanghai and Beijing so I can't help I'm afraid!

BTW - New York is a short flight compared to China

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Seems my visa application is so rushed I have to pick it up in Hong Kong...I'm sure nothing can possibly go wrong with that!
MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
BTW - New York is a short flight compared to China

Yes, that's why I'm dreading it! 12 or 13 hours I think Drinking make me sick as a dog on planes so might have to see the doc about sleeping tablets.

I really, really want to visit NZ, as does the wife, I just need to be knocked out like BA Barracus on the A team Stupid thing is I really enjoy take off and landing and staring out the window at stuff is great for about an hour, it just goes a bit pair shaped after that!

skodaman

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hong Kong's a great place for a short visit. I've only been there twice but the second time I stayed five years. If you've got time take a day trip out to some of the islands such as Lantau. Or just get the bus to Stanley or Repulse bay on H.K. island and spend a day on the beach. The beer is bloody expensive though.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit of a gadget freak, so a trip to HK is hopefully on the cards! (providing I've not been mugged/had organs stolen/or been arrested for strange behaviour on the plane)

[Edited on 12/1/10 by MikeRJ]

skodaman

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding flying I usually go to S.E. Asia on Arab airlines cos I figure they won't bomb one of their own. Have fun.

Skodaman

morcus

posted on 12/1/10 at 02:49 AM Reply With Quote
By Drinking did you mean booze? If so, try to avoid it as the ac systems they have, combined with alcohol, will dry you out and mess with your head. Your story reminds me of one a 40 a day smoker told me about his trip to India, apparently the lack of nicotine made him completely mental and he tripped out.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

karlak

posted on 12/1/10 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
The constant dorne and noise can be an issue. I have bought these as they are on offer at the moment. They will help to cut out the engine noise etc, making for a more relaxed journey. You don't even have to have any music/sound coming through them.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/8240767/Goldring-NS1000-Active-Noise-Reduction-Headphones/Product.html

May be worth a try........

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

MikeRJ

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
By Drinking did you mean booze? If so, try to avoid it

Yep, I will avoid it as I had a couple of nightcaps to help me sleep last time and made me sick which didn't improve the journey much!

Thanks for the link to the headphones. Several others have recommended noise cancelling headphones, and these get cracking reviews on avforums so looks like an imminent purchase!

charlie_pank

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes flying is a pain, but the alternatives are a LOT slower!

China is fine, but very depressing, HK is great fun. I recommend going to Shek-O - really relaxed town on the beach, away from all the hustle and bustle.

[Edited on 12/1/10 by charlie_pank]

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/1/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
took me over 15 hours to get to Singapore on one of their own 747’s, nice plane but boy was it bumpy didn’t get my meal till almost the end of the flight as the plane was moving about too much for the trollys. Then had a 2 hour flight to Indonesia in a worn out pile of sh%t commuter airliner that kept filling up with steam

that was the last time I ever went on a long haul flight

[Edited on 12/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Jimbob

posted on 12/1/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Been to Dalian this year for work, yes the 3 flights each way sucked but it was the jet lag that messed me up the most, could not sleep properly for a week and put me off food.
Dave Ashurst

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
We lived in Hong Kong for 6 years until 1999. I travelled quite a lot but never went to Shenzhen. My wife went a few times on shopping trips with her pals and I don't think there was any drama.

Your experience will depend on how much cultural variety you're used to. I'd go with an open mind and enjoy it.

Noise cancelling headphones are good if you find comfortable ones. I got some jvc foldaway ones that are nice. You'll get to see loads of movies on the flight, and your own headphones will give you really nice sound quality too.

To help fight jet lag I try to get into the HK time pattern 12 hrs before leaving, then stick to it on the plane too despite the lights and mealtimes. Also do remember to drink plenty of water.

A blanket, a blindfold and sleeping tablets can help, or I take a double dose of antihistamines either piriton hayfever tablets or a double dose of stugeron travel sickness tablets. That sends me to sleep.

I'm jealous already, enjoy your adventure

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.