Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Refitting valve spring collets
pdm

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Refitting valve spring collets

Evening all

Well it's been a while since I last asked anything but I'm stuck again and wondered if you could help me out please ?

This time it's trying to refit the valve and valve spring.

The problem I am having is that after compressing the spring "down" the valve stem I can not get the collett back on around the top of the stem.

Is there some trick to doing this or any special tool ?

Am I even doing it right trying to fit the collett after compressing the spring of should I be putting the collett loosely into the top collar thing (?) before I start to compress it ?

thanks
Paul

02GF74

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
compress the spring - this should leve the top of the valve with the 2 or 3 grooves visible.

then fit the collets - they are tapered and will sit in the recess in the spring cover.

austin man

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
use a small amount of grease to hold the collets in place. Then release the spring slowly. Sometimes you need to tap the spring for the colletts to drop firmly into their slots

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

StrikerChris

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
you problem's abit vaguely explained!are the springs compressed enough to get the collets into the slot?if so i put a blob of grease on the end of the valve to try and help stick the collets in place while fat thumbs fumble around
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about your specific engine. But on the bike engine that I have (presently on the kitchen table), you can pop the collets down in the gap between the valve and the collet retainer,and then when you compress the spring they slide into place.

Sorry this isn't much of a description, but it does work.

To get them out just use something a bit magnetic, but you know that!

Matt

StrikerChris

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
i'm too slow!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pdm

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies.

Grease sounds like it might work.

To expand on the problem I followed this procedure:

1) Put the valve in through the bottom of the head
2) Put the valve spring in from the top
3) Put the collet retainer in
4) Compress the valve spring so that the collet retainer is below the slots in the top of the valve stem
5) Try and put the colletts in

which is where it all goes wrong....

Looking at matt_gsxr's reply, if I put some grease on the valve when it's in place, fit the spring, collet retainer and then drop the colletts in loosely BEFORE I compress the spring will this work ? Is this where I am going wrong ?

Otherwise I think grease and a whole lot more patience is the way forward.

thanks again everyone
Paul

zetec

posted on 12/1/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
What engine is it? How is it going wrong? some can be very tricky and keep falling out but once you get the first few in you should be OK. Are you using a compressor?
rusty nuts

posted on 12/1/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
In over 40 years in the motor trade I've never had to use grease to fit valve colletts . As already asked are you using a suitable valve spring compressor ? Are you compressing the valve enough? If the answer to the above is yes then there is no reason the colletts don't go in. Fitting the colletts before compressing the spring isn't the best way to go about it IMHO It may be a good idea to use a small screwdriver/pick etc to locate the colletts. After the first few are in you will wonder what all the trouble was.
pdm

posted on 12/1/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
It's a silvertop Zetec and I'm using I spring compressor which has several attachments for the spring so I'm using the biggest one I can fit to give myself enough room....

I've been compressing the spring before putting the colletts in and when I say it all goes wrong, I mean I either can't get the colletts into place or they've dropped onto the collett retainer but not into the slots...

fatbaldbloke

posted on 12/1/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
The Zetec is a bit fiddly, but not too bad. Do as you are, fit the valve and compress the spring first. Then get a long thin screwdriver, and using a dollop of grease stick the collett to the end of the screwdriver. Next, put a good dollop of grease on the inside of the collett, then push the collett into place and twist the screwdriver off the little blighter. Then gently release the spring compressor, you may have to rock it slightly from side to side to get it to all go together properly. Just fiddle around and you'll soon get the knack.
boggle

posted on 12/1/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
as above, but i use a superglue.....they aint going nowhere then!!!!!

just kidding, i use a little oil....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Peteff

posted on 13/1/10 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
If you can't get the collets in you are not compressing the spring enough, you should be able to drop them in place then release the spring to grab them with the spring cap. What are you compressing the springs with ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Danozeman

posted on 13/1/10 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It may be a good idea to use a small screwdriver/pick etc to locate the colletts. After the first few are in you will wonder what all the trouble was.

I use a long thin screwdriver that is slightly magnetic to do mine. If your using your fingers on a zetec it will never work. If the collet is lower than the grooves when you release the spring it should slide it up to where it needs to be. If not a tap with a hammer using a socket over the top should settle it in.

But as said once youv done a couple its much easier.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

pdm

posted on 13/1/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies folks - grease, screwdriver and patience seems to be what's required.

I've got grease and a screwdriver - now where's my.....

Thanks again !!

snapper

posted on 13/1/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
There is a fine line between too compressed, when the collets will drop below the grooves and not enough compression when the collets will not quite slot in the grooves.
I adjusted the the compressor until i got a collet almost straight in, used a little bit of grease to hold the collet on then used a small jewlers screwdirver to push in to place and spin the collet round to make room for the next half.
It is a fiddly job but once you have done one the rest are a lot easier.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 13/1/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
There is a fine line between too compressed, when the collets will drop below the grooves and not enough compression when the collets will not quite slot in the grooves.
I adjusted the the compressor until i got a collet almost straight in, used a little bit of grease to hold the collet on then used a small jewlers screwdirver to push in to place and spin the collet round to make room for the next half.
It is a fiddly job but once you have done one the rest are a lot easier.

As above but I find Vaseline works better than grease.
You can actually buy a special tool to put the collets in but I have never tried one and don't think it will work on the Zetec or similar engines such as the K series.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 13/1/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
20 years in the motor trade and i always use grease

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.