Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3.0ah batteries into 1.3ah drill OK?
balidey

posted on 19/1/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
3.0ah batteries into 1.3ah drill OK?

OK, electrics is not my strong point, but here is what must be a basic question to you lot.

If I were to buy one of the £99 Makita 18V drill deals with 1.3ah batteries, would that drill be able to accept the 18V 3.0ah batteries? Would the charger be the same? (I am talking about the Ni-cad and Ni-mh batteries only here)

I have tried looking for this info but can't seem to get a clear answer.

As a slightly off topic question. There must be loads of Makita drills about using the 'old' Ni-cad and Ni-mh batteries. If someone made an adapter that sat between a Li-ion battery and the Ni-mh drill then surely that would give you a converted Li-ion drill? Would mean not having to buy a whole new drill just to get the latest in battery technology.

And surely a simple adapter would be fairly easy and cheap to make. Obviously Makita won't want to produce it as it will limit their Li-ion drill sales.

[Edited on 19/1/10 by balidey]

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/1/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Makes absolutely no difference to the drill except one pack will last longer. The charger on the other hand will require more than twice as long to charge the larger capacity ones, indeed 2.3 times as long, it will still tell you correctly that they are charged as it does that by voltage.

[Edited on 19/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 19/1/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thankyou for that confirmation.
I was a bit worried the increased amps would affect the drill, but its not amps is it? Its amp hours. So I probably could have answered my own question. Duh.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/1/10 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Thankyou for that confirmation.
I was a bit worried the increased amps would affect the drill, but its not amps is it? Its amp hours. So I probably could have answered my own question. Duh.

yip, you'd need a larger motor to draw more amps

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 19/1/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
yes, capacity is amp/hours not amps.

but note with a drill, if you are using it hard i.e., for a long time making big holes in hard material, it will consume a lot of current.

with a lower capacity battery, it will struggle to supply the power, the voltage will drop (same as what happens when you crank an engine over using different sized batteries) so the power going to the drill will be less than when using a higher capacity cell.

There will be some power wasted, ending up as heat inside the drill so you are more likely to damage the drill.

in other words, the lower capacity battery is limiting the power than can go to the drill.

If you are a sympathetic user allowing the drill to rest and cool down, then you should have no problems.

dhutch

posted on 19/1/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Also, potentially, NiMH batteries need a slightly diffrent charge profile to NiCd's hence there is an outside chance makita have made the fittings on the batterys diffrent. Although they car good for compatibility and might well not have done.

If they physically you probably fine however as said, particularly if you respect the fact you just put a higher performance pack in the same drill and as 02GF74 says, give it a rest sometimes before it gets to be melting hot! (standard practice really)

Daniel

petercd

posted on 19/1/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
the most important thing to remember when hacking batt powered items is to use the charger that was designed for the batt tech.

never use a standard charger on a Li-on batt, these are liable to burst into flame when abused with a fixed current charger as used on lead acid or nicad batts.

also using a nicad charger on a nimh batt with overheat the batt pack leading to a much shorter lifespan of the batt.

otherwise as mentioned above, you basically will get extended use of the tool before needing a recharge.

Valtra

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Draper lion use a different charger which will charge other types of Batt. but you cant' charge Lion with a Nicd or nimh charger

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.