Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: a little maths help:)
Miks15

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
a little maths help:)

ive been given this maths problem:

A flywheel having moment of inertia I = 0.5kgm^2 and diameter 0.5m is rotatingat a rate of 1000rpm when a constant tangential friction force of 1kN is applied to its rim. Calculate the time in minutes required for the flywheel to come to rest.

Now i found some formula saying: Torque = moment of inertia x angular accelaration

I worked the angular acceleration to be 500 rads/ second

and the angular velocity intially to be 104.72 rads/sec (1000rpm x 2pi / 60)

Giving me a time to come to rest of 0.21 seconds. Is this right or have i done something wrong?

Cheers guys

NeilP

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger if I can remember my mechanical engineering but I think you'd use conservation of energy to work it out?...

[pause] - Nope. You'd still need to do a calc on the speed of the wheel over the time to standstill so over to the brighter / younger / better memoried on here...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Toltec

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think you have either used the wrong calculation for your angular acceleration or messed up the units.

Note the applied torque is in Nm.

I may be wrong, it has been about 28 years...

Miks15

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
It is the formula i got off the internet, with some good working.

I have used 1000 N for the force, with 0.25m as the radius of the flywheel, giving 250Nm for the torque.

Which when divided by 0.5 (the moment of inertia) i get 500 rads per second (being the SI unit for angular accelaration)

Toltec

posted on 21/1/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
The moment of inertia is in kgm2, the torque in Nm, does that sound right

Edit - Actually is does, I thought they were being sneaky by mixing units, but kgm is the torque applied by a kilo in Earth's gravity.

Dimensionally.

N = kgm/s2
Inertia = kgm2
Ang Acc = 1/s2

So you are right.

[Edited on 21/1/10 by Toltec]

matt_claydon

posted on 21/1/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
It looks right to me. Given they asked for time in minutes I wonder if the question was meant to be 1N rather than 1kN?

Angular accel is rad/sec^2 though.

[Edited on 21/1/10 by matt_claydon]

Miks15

posted on 21/1/10 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
o yeh good point matt, had the square in my working

well i can only give the answer to the question given i guess! cheers

rachaeljf

posted on 21/1/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
You need to divide the braking torque (Nm) by g (9.81 m/s^2) to get your units (dimensions) consistent. You end up taking 2.1 seconds to bring the flywheel to a halt, still pretty quick!

It's always a good idea to do a dimension check on your formulae and equations; get everything expressed in m, kg and s and you will be ok.

For example, torque or moment in Nm becomes kg.m.s^-2.m (from F = ma). When you try angular accel'n a = T/J you will see the units drop out to s^-2 , which are indeed the units of radians/s^2.

It does look like they meant 1 N rather than 1 kN. A 100 kg friction load would seem quite large.

Just to be the pedantic engineer, SI quantities should be expressed as XX-space-units, e.g. 50 kN, not 50kN!

Cheers R

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/1/10 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
You had the answer nearly right first time (except maybe a dodgy unit, and arguably the sign on your angular acceleration which technically is a vector).

The answer isn't 0.21s

It is 0.0035 minutes (they asked for the answer in minutes).

Matt

Miks15

posted on 22/1/10 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rachaeljf
You need to divide the braking torque (Nm) by g (9.81 m/s^2) to get your units (dimensions) consistent. You end up taking 2.1 seconds to bring the flywheel to a halt, still pretty quick!

It's always a good idea to do a dimension check on your formulae and equations; get everything expressed in m, kg and s and you will be ok.

For example, torque or moment in Nm becomes kg.m.s^-2.m (from F = ma). When you try angular accel'n a = T/J you will see the units drop out to s^-2 , which are indeed the units of radians/s^2.

It does look like they meant 1 N rather than 1 kN. A 100 kg friction load would seem quite large.

Just to be the pedantic engineer, SI quantities should be expressed as XX-space-units, e.g. 50 kN, not 50kN!

Cheers R

I do understand the fact that it needs to be homogenious on both sides... but i cant see why your would have to divide by g? Surely g has nothing to do with any of the calculation above?

And point taken on the space, will remember that for the future.

hughpinder

posted on 22/1/10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
to convert N to kg divide by g
Regards
Hugh

Lightning

posted on 22/1/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
9.81 m/s^2

Steve

Miks15

posted on 22/1/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
but i dont need to convert N to kg, the formula i ahve stated is already homogenious.

Torque = Moment of Inertia * angular accelaration

Kg.m.s^-2 * m = kgm^2 * s^-2

So its kgm^2s^-2 = kgm^2s^-2

Liam

posted on 22/1/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Indeed, indeed. So wasn't he correct to use his Nm torque value and get 500 rads^-2 for the angular acceleration and 0.21 seconds for the time to stop?

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rachaeljf

posted on 22/1/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
No Liam, you can't use N on one side and kg on the other, g has to get involved somewhere. 1 Nm = 1/9.81 kgm^2s^-2.

By definition, 1 kg = 9.81 N (more or less).

Toltec

posted on 23/1/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
No Liam, you can't use N on one side and kg on the other, g has to get involved somewhere. 1 Nm = 1/9.81 kgm^2s^-2.

By definition, 1 kg = 9.81 N (more or less).

That was what I thought initially, however torque is force X distance and Newtons are a unit of force and kg is mass. The conversion of Nm to kgm is done as the force applied by a one kg mass in one g is used for the torque value. To put it another way kgm and lbft are only valid when referenced to a gravitational field, i.e Earths, Nm does not contain that assumption.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.