Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Watch that first step, it's a bit high!
David Jenkins

posted on 23/1/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Watch that first step, it's a bit high!

Going down...

mistergrumpy

posted on 23/1/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Read a book about an ex SAS man who was mad on skydiving and tried to break this record. It details a lot about Joe Kittinger and they met up to discuss the many complications of the attempt but he failed in the end. Can't remember why now but I know he started suffering from mental health issues and eventually stabbed his girlfriend who survived.
A year or so later I heard he'd decided to end his life and jumped out of a plane without his parachute. Great book, pity I can't remember the title it's packed in the garage somewhere.

rusty nuts

posted on 23/1/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC Joe Kittinger reached a speed of over 600mph jumping from 106,000feet ,although I thought had a drogue chute to help with stability. Highest I ever jumped was 19,000 feet from the back of a Hercules in Belgium
Ninehigh

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I heard he was the first guy to break the sound barrier without the aid of a plane. That must have been something in itself!

rgdavid

posted on 25/1/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Read a book about an ex SAS man who was mad on skydiving and tried to break this record. It details a lot about Joe Kittinger and they met up to discuss the many complications of the attempt but he failed in the end. Can't remember why now but I know he started suffering from mental health issues and eventually stabbed his girlfriend who survived.
A year or so later I heard he'd decided to end his life and jumped out of a plane without his parachute. Great book, pity I can't remember the title it's packed in the garage somewhere.

"Seven troop3 by Andy Mcnab,

read 3 of his books recently in hospital,
they really devote their lives to serving the army & us,,
i'm not really into the army thing but it just goes to show how the higher classes & finance are protected,

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.