Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Bathroom plumbing HELP!
matt.c

posted on 31/1/10 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
OT: Bathroom plumbing HELP!

When i had an extension to my bungalow the builders fitted new drainage to my bathroom. I also rebuilt my bathroom and moved the pipework to match the drain. Almost the same route but a couple of bends extra. Sinch then im getting a smell from the drains both inside the bathroom and outside the bungalow. I have made sure there aint no blocks etc. I was told to block the top of the drain with a sealed cover and put ubend trap thingys on the pipes to stop the smell coming up the pipes. I have done this and it seams to work but................

Now my sink gargles and my bath has to fill up a couple of inches before the water goes then i goes like hell!! I know its to do with these anti smell traps as if i take them off it all goes back to normal.

What do i do???

Im really stuck with this one and would really like to get it fixed if possible today.

Please help locosters......

Matt

Danozeman

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
If you put a sealed cover on the drain i would have though it would cause a vacuum and not drain away very quick.

How much fall did they put on the waste pipes? If you have u bends inside the smell shouldnt come through that. Any cracks/leaks in the pipes?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have a stench pipe rising up off the drain to at least the height of your eaves ? If not the air has nowhere to go when you unplug and the water will have to displace it to drain away.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

matt.c

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
My home made cover is not that sealed (bit of wood lol) And no stench pipe, but it didnt have that before the extension?
When i take off the traps it flows fine.

Ubends now make it gargle? Why?

Im using this at the moment

[Edited on 31/1/10 by matt.c]

[Edited on 31/1/10 by matt.c]

Russell

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
If you've sealed off the vent pipe then you'll need anti-vac traps. Like these:

Screwfix Linky

They are fat and can be a bugger to fit under some sinks.

Or you can put a flap vent in the soil pipe.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

matt.c

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell
If you've sealed off the vent pipe then you'll need anti-vac traps. Like these:

Screwfix Linky

They are fat and can be a bugger to fit under some sinks.

Or you can put a flap vent in the soil pipe.

I have no room in the bathroom for that but i could put it on the pipe outside the home before it goes in to the drain? How do i join the top of that to a plastic pipe? It looks like a screw one to me...

Russell

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's meant to replace the current trap under the sink not go outside. In any case it would have a residue of water inside it which could freeze if installed outside the house.

I'll look for a link to a soil pipe vent...

Russell

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
This sort of thing:

Another Screwfix Linky

Russ

thunderace

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
get a non return valve
and a trap

[Edited on 31/1/10 by thunderace]

matt.c

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
uploading pics to try and help what i mean..

delboy

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
1. the extra bends are likely to cause the waste discharge to flow differently, depending on the layout it could be part of the problem.
2. You should have a trap on each fitting like the one in the pic, or alternatively a trap with an anti siphon device which will help. It basically allows air into the system at the appliance when you discharge to the drain, but wont allow air out of the waste system which would cause a smell.
3. It sounds from your description like you are inducing siphonage in the traps on the appliances when draining the bath, basin or wc. This is basically a negative pressure on the water in the trap caused by the drain running full bore when the appliance discharges ( that's the gurgle you are hearing). The anti siphon trap I mentioned will allow air in behind the discharge to stop the trap emptying, you will however hear a rattle as the valve operates. The smell is comiong back up the empty trap into your house from the sewer
4. I think that you really need to introduce a soil vent pipe(svp) to your bathroom with the appliances connected individually to it and the svp taken to a vent position above eves level and at least 3m from any roof light is applicable . If you want the svp inside and don't want to take it to outside, take it above the flood level of the highest appliance and fit an air admittace valve to it ( that's basically a big vent which operates similarly to the anti siphone trap device but on a bigger scale.
For all drainage and sanitary pipework simple layouts are always best, avoid excessive bends, keep branches to svps as short as possible and try to avoid using small bore pipes where drain or waste pipe travel is excessive.
I know what i've said is fairly general, but without seeing the layout you have it's difficult to offer an exact solution. HTH's

matt.c

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
pipe 1
pipe 1

pipe2
pipe2

as you can see in the pics i have just got 2 pipes out of the bathroom and i fitted 2 of those s shaped pipe to stop smell coming up the pipes. With out thse "s" pipes attached the water runs fine. With them fitted it makes the water gargle etc.

Hope this helps

delboy

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
You do not need these traps at all. The Gulley you are discharging to should have a trap fitted below ground level. When you look through the grating you should be able to see water lying in the trap for the gulley. If not that's the problem. Fit a trap to the base of the gulley to stop any smell from coming back up the abs pipes to your appliances or fit an new trapped and roddable gulley. Did the builders carry out any work to the below ground drainage system?

Feel free to send me a U2U if you need any more advice. Derek

[Edited on 31/1/10 by delboy]

matt.c

posted on 31/1/10 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted with a breather pipe fitted. No more gurrgling and water goes freely. Time will tell about it stopping the smell.

Thanks for the help locosters.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.