Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road registering a quad.
Regsmonster

posted on 3/2/10 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Road registering a quad.

I have an old Honda Quad thats never been registered, can anyone tell me if it is possible and what I would need to do?

Cheers

RAYLEE29

posted on 3/2/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
should be ok ive seen quads on the road round here
i guess dvla office would be a good place to start or perhaps your local friendly motorbike shop used to be able to put motocrossers on the road even without lights not sure you still can though
Ray

iank

posted on 3/2/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
If it's less than 20.1bhp and sub 400kg then it needs an MSVA as a heavy quadricycle it is treated as a trike for the purposes of the rules (easier to pass and cheap) - this seems to be the route taken for all the road legal ones you see.

If more powerful or heavier it needs an IVA - I wouldn't even bother trying personally.

(if it's less than 5.36bhp and sub 350kg then it needs an MSVA as a light quadricycle but using moped rules, but who'd want something like that one the road!)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

flibble

posted on 3/2/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the best way used to be registering it as an agricultural vehicle?
Needed a certificate of newness or proof of age from the manufacturer for a age related plate or just the V55/? form for a Q reg, also thought free road tax came into the bargain as an agricultural vehicle but could well be wrong on all counts
When I got my CR500 mx road reg'd (about 2004) the biggest problem was that I needed Insurance to get my reg plate but all the insurers wouldnt quote without a reg number and the circle continued..

Edit: The agricultural vehicle used to be exempt from the type approval, same with enduro/competition vehicles - so no need for mirrors/lights etc. My CR came under the enduro heading, I just fitted a brake light and got a daytime MOT Now it just sits in my garage looking lonely

[Edited on 3-2-10 by flibble]

Flick

posted on 3/2/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have a friend who registered a kfx700 for road use about 3 years ago, pretty sure he had to have sva test done. It worked out quite expensive in the end. Insurane was high ( around 700 a year 32y no claims etc)
Unless you own/rent/work at a small holding or similar.... dont register as ag vehicle it will need to be plg.

sonic

posted on 3/2/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine registered his quad YZF450 for the road,day time only which was easiest.
You need to get a ce cert and proof of age from the manufacturer which cost him £25 and the paperwork from your local DVLA and a day time mot cert.

You havent mentioned what type/make of quad it is but if the manufacturer has any already road registered it is very easy.

I have had a couple of motorcross bikes and daytime mot'd them and it add £3-400 pound to the value.

hillbillyracer

posted on 3/2/10 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flibble
I thought the best way used to be registering it as an agricultural vehicle?
Needed a certificate of newness or proof of age from the manufacturer for a age related plate or just the V55/? form for a Q reg, also thought free road tax came into the bargain as an agricultural vehicle but could well be wrong on all counts
When I got my CR500 mx road reg'd (about 2004) the biggest problem was that I needed Insurance to get my reg plate but all the insurers wouldnt quote without a reg number and the circle continued..

Edit: The agricultural vehicle used to be exempt from the type approval, same with enduro/competition vehicles - so no need for mirrors/lights etc. My CR came under the enduro heading, I just fitted a brake light and got a daytime MOT Now it just sits in my garage looking lonely

[Edited on 3-2-10 by flibble]

It's nice idea registering as an agricultural vehicle but I think there'll be a fair few drawbacks, the first of which would be a 20mph speed limit! I think there could be a few restrictions on what you're allowed to use it for too.

flibble

posted on 3/2/10 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
What about the enduro/competition route then or is that defunct/only for mx'ers?
The DVLA gay who came to inspect it only said that for bikes there's a minimum seat height that consitutes qualifying for enduro classification, looked at it at the bottom of the garden from my kitchen, put his tape measure away and said yup, that'll do it, drank his tea, chatted for 2 mins, signed papers and left
Not sure what would be required of a quad to be comp/Enduro though??

dogwood

posted on 4/2/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think you can get a Honda quad Homologated.
For some reason Hond don't beleive their quads sutable for the road.

I've got a Bombardier quad road registered BTW.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.