Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plasma Cutter
hicost blade

posted on 10/2/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Plasma Cutter

How did I live without this amazing toy?

Got an R-tech P30C today 'shop soiled'

Cut my girlfriends name into a piece of 4mm thick steel strip

Valentines present.....Done!

skodaman

posted on 10/2/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Gonna tell us how much u paid?

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 10/2/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
is it just compressed air they run with? or do they need some sort of special gasses?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hicost blade

posted on 10/2/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
£359 + postage (hardly locost but you only live once!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLASMA-CUTTER-30Amp-240v-8mm-CUT-SHOP-SOILED_W0QQitemZ170443269747QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item27af35e673 />
I'm just running it off my 50l 2hp compressor

I bought it to cut out my aluminium panels for my chassis but I’m sure I will find other uses for it (like cutting up every piece of metal I can find )

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 10/2/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
haha, have fun, looks like a decent bit of kit!

bodger

posted on 10/2/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Had a plasma demo the other week at my welding class. Have to admit I was impressed. Didn't seem to need much cleaning up either. Just been looking on ebay at Plasma/Tig units anyone know if they're any good. There's a Parker one from the states for about 1k - does Plasma & AC/DC Tig + foot controller. Not cheap but not outrageous either.
JoelP

posted on 10/2/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
i have a clark one from MM, about 400 but you need a compressor as well. Useful tool, though i dont really use it enough!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

hicost blade

posted on 10/2/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a TIG R-tech make a square wave AC/DC for £695 + VAT which I'm saving up for.....

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding_equipment/Tig_Welder/Tig_Welder_R-Tech_Tig161

All their gear is assembled in the UK using Siemens internals, my plasma is fantastic quality

They seem like really nice guys, one of them is into kit cars and has built/drives a Dax Rush (unfortunately....)

I'm not sure how good those combination plasma/TIG stations are, also import duty is a ball ache

Phil.J

posted on 11/2/10 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I've just bought this one from Essex Steam:
http://www.essexsteam.co.uk/plasma.php

50A and 15mm cutting capacity for £339 delivered

[Edited on 11/2/10 by Phil.J]

chrsgrain

posted on 11/2/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I got one from this bloke on ebay for £200, went and collected it from near Bisley / Guildford, has been great, run it with a 50lt compressor with no trouble - would probably be fine with a little one.

Takes a bit of practice to get the cuts clean on both sides, you have to get the torch the right distance from the work, and then move at the right speed - and SWMBO is better at it than I am - but once you've cracked that, it is brilliant!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

speedyxjs

posted on 11/2/10 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Id LOVE a plasma cutter. Have had it on my christmas list for years

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Alan B

posted on 11/2/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
A straight metal bar is useful to have around to use as a guide. Once you figure the correct offset distance from the line you can cut very accurate parts. I think typically I used a 2" x 1/4" Ali bar.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 12/2/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd imagine the chinese ones for ~£200 could be a bit of a false economy compared to a much higher quality UK built product. Also support long term could be interesting with the chinese product.

I'd love one but not sure I can justify the money for the amount I would use it.

But they are sooo cool

How quickly do you get through the consumables?

chrsgrain

posted on 12/2/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I'd imagine the chinese ones for ~£200 could be a bit of a false economy compared to a much higher quality UK built product. Also support long term could be interesting with the chinese product.

I'd love one but not sure I can justify the money for the amount I would use it.

Exactly what I thought - I couldn't justify money for a decent one, and most of those are Chinese now... so I went for one of the cheapy chinese ones as above, and it is great - if / when it dies I will definitely find the cash for another (better) one. If you don't fry the tip by keep touching to the work piece, then the electrodes and stuff last ages.... Get one, you'll never know how you coped without!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

big_wasa

posted on 13/2/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a tig / plasma / mma combo. Its cheap china job bought when the pound was stronger. Its been great.

I have cut 1/2" steel plate but not well. Much better on 3~5mm, mma is smooth and still learning tig.

Bits are easy and cheap to get as they all use the same size.

When it dies I will have another, next time I want ac aswell

hobbsy

posted on 13/2/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
How much was that wasa? Are the combo units good? Suppose it saves money and space but you lose multiple tools if it breaks
NS Dev

posted on 13/2/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Rtech stuff is very good.

I have a cheapo Rehmann chinese plasma (well, badged german but its all chinese bits inside)

was only £150 and cuts up to half inch, (8mm cleanly).

When it goes pop I'll get a real one!

I am thinking about chopping my big ESAB DTA200 ac/dc TIG in and getting an rtech ac/dc tig set...............

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Ninehigh

posted on 13/2/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i have a clark one from MM, about 400 but you need a compressor as well. Useful tool, though i dont really use it enough!

Shame it isn't portable, you could cut "Park properly you ****" in bonnets and doors

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.