Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cleaning spray guns
blakep82

posted on 12/2/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
cleaning spray guns

after i use them, they never seem to come up very clean. been leaving thinners in one for a couple of days, and its still purple and white (the only 2 colours of paint i've used in it)

thinners have been in 24hours, i've been swishing it about, and nothing's moved in the cup

do they ever clean up and look as new when they've been used? or is it because its a cheap spray gun? or am i doing something wrong? lol

[Edited on 12/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 12/2/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I never leave thinners in mine. I wash the cup out with gunwash (cheap thinners) and wipe it clean then blow some clean thinners through the nozzle till it is clear with no colour (point it at some card or something). Is it a gravity or suction feed poly cup or aluminium? Mine look used but always come up clean

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blakep82

posted on 12/2/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
its a suction type aluminium cup/gun arrangement, so i don't think leaving thinners in the cup (only the cup, not the spray bit) will do much damage. thought it might have just stained the aluminium, which seems the case

i bought that one from yesterday btw. the suction cup one will be used for any white or purple anyway, so not a major problem. the new one will be for the orange paint

[Edited on 12/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

chrsgrain

posted on 12/2/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was told by my paint guy (who sold me the gun) that cheap guns don't like being taken apart and put back together, and that just to wash it through with gun wash (as above) a few times, then leave it.... obviously need to do this immediately after using...

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Brommers

posted on 13/2/10 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mine look pretty much as new. When I've finished spraying, I pour out the excess paint, and then swill a load of gun wash around, tip out the remenants, and then give it a wipe with a paper cloth. Then I blast through a load of gunwash until it's running clear, clean up the pot with gunwash and paper towels until it's pristine, and shoot another lot of gunwash through the gun. Once that's done I squirt the spraygun with nothing in the pot unitl there's nothing coming out.

Getting the gun clean after use is just a case of lots of gunwash and lots of paper towels. Although I do tend to use 'blue bog roll' rather than kitchen roll or similar as it doesn't break up and leave fibres which might clog the gun.

boggle

posted on 14/2/10 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
i allways leave gunwash in my pot, along with the nozzle cap too......

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.