Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Boilersuit Cleaning
MakeEverything

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Boilersuit Cleaning

Hi,
Ive got three sets of single layer Nomex overalls that i use in the garage, which desperately need cleaning. Some are covered in oil / grease more than the others, but in general they all need cleaning.

If i put them in the machine, will it cock up the washing machine for the next whites wash?

Im not worried about the Nomex Properties and i know they should be dry cleaned and washed a maximum number of times, but they are just old suits that i salvaged from the scrap bin a while back.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

JoelP

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
i'd just set them off with a serious amount of powder, see what happens. At worst, its a new machine

blakep82

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
my mum used to put my dads proban ones in the wash all the time. never did any damage to the machine

what sort of damage were you expecting? at worst, i think the fireproofing stuff might wash out (not sure exactly how nomex works right enough)

[Edited on 21/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Canada EH!

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you are worried that the grease will foul the washer and uset swmbo, take them to the coin laundry, been doing it for years.
chrsgrain

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Our local launderette keeps a machine aside for dog blankets, rugby gear, overalls etc etc... probably the best place to take them.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

blakep82

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
as for oil, grease, fibreglass dust and stuff, mine have been through the machine loads of times.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

adithorp

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just stick them in. Use a none bio' deturgent and wash on the hotest setting. Biologicals don't work at high temp.
I've been washing my work overalls that way for the last 30 years and my mums washed my dads for longer than that. If you're worried put it through a wash cycle with just detergent and no washing to clear it out before washing normal clothes...but I've never bothered.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hillbillyracer

posted on 21/2/10 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm an agric engineer & have been washing mine in the same machine as the rest of the stuff for 17 years now, only on the second machine in that time too!
But I always follow boilersuits with the rest of my work clothes which get nothing like as dirty so the machine gets a clean through before anything that matters goes in.
There's not been a problem in all that time but now I'm getting a house with the girlfreind I can see she'll not take kindly to her gear going in the same machine!

Peteff

posted on 21/2/10 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I soak mine in a bucket of hot water with washing liquid/powder and agitate them with a brush handle, like the old ponch tub, before I throw them in for a wash and rinse. They never come out perfectly clean but it saves a bit of grime for the machine I think.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

se7en

posted on 21/2/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Just stick them in. Use a none bio' deturgent and wash on the hotest setting. Biologicals don't work at high temp.
I've been washing my work overalls that way for the last 30 years and my mums washed my dads for longer than that. If you're worried put it through a wash cycle with just detergent and no washing to clear it out before washing normal clothes...but I've never bothered.

adrian

It is OK to machine wash your overalls but you DONT want to wash them at the highest temp, that will make them shrink and could also affect the fire retardent properties of the cloth. Wash them at the temp suggested by the wash powder/liquid makers.

The missus washes my proban overalls regularly using the instructions from the detergent maker.

speedyxjs

posted on 22/2/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mine all go through the machine no probs

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

David Jenkins

posted on 22/2/10 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Mine gets soaked in a bucket of Arial for a while before going in the washing machine...

(It's like Woman's Weekly in here lately! )

carpmart

posted on 22/2/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
We will be turning this forum into the WI if were not careful!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

iank

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
We will be turning this forum into the WI if were not careful!

Anyone got a decent jam recipe?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

rusty nuts

posted on 3/3/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Take one punnet of strawberries,

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.