Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Injected 06 R1 - tricking the ECU
charlie_pank

posted on 23/2/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Injected 06 R1 - tricking the ECU

1) What do I need the ECU-controlled throttle for and is there a way to run without it? I'm concerned that if I just take it off, the bike will go into limp-home mode, if I relocate it so the ECU still thinks it's there, but it doesn't actually control the throttle, then the ECU will not be able to give the correct fueling.

2) What does the 'speed-sensor' mounted near the sprocket do, and is there a way to run without it?

3) Is there a way of tricking the ECU into thinking its got an EXUP valve attached, so it doesn't go into limp-home mode? (If so what is it?)

Ta

ko_racer

posted on 23/2/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
If the 2006 R1 is a 5VY which it should be,

Not sure there is a limp mode as such, just fixed values for a sensor if it has been removed, never been an issue for us.

1. You can remove all the butterflies from the the secondary throttle, you will need to leave the motor and TPS connected or you may run into problems.

You will need to remap anyway so fueling won't be a problem. It's only to improve low/mid-range throttle anyway.

I've left them there though myself.

2. You can run without the speed sensor without problem, we've actually seen a speed limiter on the dyno on these engines which was bypassed by disconnecting the speed sensor.

3. For the exup just unplug it, it does nothing to the fuelling as far as we can tell from dyno and track work. You'll get an error if you have the dash, but it won't do anything else.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
A1

posted on 23/2/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
why do you want to take the ecu off?
just leave the exup motor on, itll be fine. if you unplug it youll get the fault code.

charlie_pank

posted on 23/2/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I don't have an EXUP valve, or the speed-sensor, or the tip-sensor so I'd rather not have to buy them if I don't have to.

Interesting what you say about the servo-controlled throttle, I assumed that the ECU would base some of its fueling decisions on the position of the servo controlled throttle?

A1, I think there might be a mis-communication, I'm not trying to get rid of the ECU (yet), just trying to trick it into running without some of the sensors that I don't have.

adithorp

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using the bike dash or an aftermarket one?
If the bike dash then missing EXUP or speed sensor will throw up a fault on t he dash (and the speedo wouldn't work). There is a widget you can make to con the ECU that the EXUP is still there. A search in this section/with my user name should find it.
If an after market dash, then just remove them.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Gergely

posted on 26/2/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need to remove the ECU. You need a Power Commander to take care of the air/fuel mixture, but leave the ECU on.
No need to use the EXUP either, unless you use the bike's clocks.
Take a good read this page, although a slightly different engine, exactly the same procedure is required.

Link

Start the engine with the loom completely in place and bit by bit remove the pieces you don't need.
You will need to trick the kick stand, stop switch and the lean angle switch on the bike loom.

Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.