Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MS Idling rich?
coozer

posted on 25/2/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
MS Idling rich?

OK, fixed all the air leaks, swapped the bodies, got them balanced, new set of plugs and...

It still idles too rich... I've dropped the req_fuel to 7.4 and the bottom row on the fuel map around 1000rpm is 22, afr gauge is still around 11~11.5

How on earth do I get the idle down to 13.5~14??

What is the best way to change the AFR? Is it a matter of balancing the req_fuel against the map level???

HELP!!

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

omega0684

posted on 25/2/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
my required fuel is about 7 and bottom row is about 12-14, idles at 14.3/14.4, and thats with R6 ITB's.

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 25/2/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
yep still lower ve table entries required then.

Mine was around 12 on gsxr600 throttle bodies

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

fatbaldbloke

posted on 25/2/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Also check you're not triggering accelerator enrichment with transients in whatever sensor signal you're using (MAP or TPS).
brianthemagical

posted on 26/2/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
The req fuel shouldn't need changing.

As you stand now, changing the ve bins to 18 should see 14.

coozer

posted on 26/2/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Had a bit fiddling and req_fuel is 10.2, Ve bottom line is 28.. for some reason its now idling at aroound 14 but is a bugger to start from cold.. it catches then dies.. I need to feather the throttle to get it revving then it settles down to warm up.

Whats wrong now? Your advice is much appreciated as I have printed off the 32 pages of the megamanual and I 'm sure I cant find some of theystuff they talk about.

For example it talks about the ASE in %ages where as mine has actual numbers in there.

Ta,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

flak monkey

posted on 26/2/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
The ASE is too high if you need to open the throttle (adding more air)

It is in percentage - if the ASE entry is 140 then its adding 40% to the VE table entry, 125 is adding 25% and so on.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

paulf

posted on 26/2/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Not neccesarily by feathering the throttle it may be using another set of load bins which are set richer and when it is allowed to idle it is on the 14.7 afr bins but as its cold it is to weak.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
The ASE is too high if you need to open the throttle (adding more air)

It is in percentage - if the ASE entry is 140 then its adding 40% to the VE table entry, 125 is adding 25% and so on.

David

omega 24 v6

posted on 26/2/10 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I need to feather the throttle to get it revving then it settles down to warm up.

This is exaxctly where I am at mate so I'm watching this thread with great interest. I had thought about advancing the crank ignition angle BUT apparently you cannot do this with MS1 V2.2.
remeber to post your results/findings please.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

fatbaldbloke

posted on 27/2/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
What I did to sort this out is make an expanded idle map. That is one with a load row every tps graduation for the bottom 6-8 rows, and speed steps of say 50 rpm. This way you can see exactly what's happening around idle and adjust it to get it idling nicely (assuming everything mechanical is OK). You can't drive with a map like this of course, but it just expands what's happening around idle.
coozer

posted on 27/2/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I now have a nice idle, it ticksover around 900rpm with 13.5 afr. Nice a smooth. I spent a while balancing the tb's, reving it checking it, twiddling till it sound nice. Also lowered the injection open time to 0.997 (following the megamanual).

So I now have req-fuel @ 10.2, bottom line in the ve map at 30 and its nice and smooth

Problem is, it starts, but from cold it idles around 600rpm and doesnt pick up till I tickle the pedal.

However opening the throttle (as if to drive off) it leans right off, coughs and dies if I keep it open. If I fiddle the throttle past there it revs easy.

So, next question is how do I get it to pick up when I open the throttle, I'm ready to take it out (once it stops snowing!) and start tuning the driving bit of the map...

Getting there

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Heres a data log of it waming up then me trying to rev it.

Anyone want to have a loo at it and tell me if theres anything wrong with it??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I now have a nice idle, it ticksover around 900rpm with 13.5 afr. Nice a smooth. I spent a while balancing the tb's, reving it checking it, twiddling till it sound nice

LOL I've been doing the exact same thing today mate. I had to start with an earlier map as I decided to give tuner studio a go cause it looks easier to use. I set it up and switched on ve analize live and it all went tits up from there. It turns out that the afr target tables were way way lean and of course I had "update controller" turned on ARGH.
So I went back to good old megatune to get it running again.
Which are you using?? M/Tune or Tuner studio?

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

coozer

posted on 28/2/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using Tunerstudio, when I went into ve analysis and turned it on mine went tits upo as well, quickly switched it off and checked the afr table and moved first 3 bins on the bottom line from 16.5 to 13.5! Then set the limit for lambda correction to 1200rpm.

Today I'm going to try and get the cold start a bit better, mainly a quick start straight up to idle, at the moment it won't go if I pull the 'choke' as it doesnt like the extra air. I suspect the cold start enrichment is a little low, or maybe the duty cycle needs tweeking....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.