Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smokin!
merlin

posted on 19/8/02 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Smokin!

Have an 1800 pinto, smokes a little! Had a misfire which turned out to be no.3 so changed plug. Missfire went for about 20 mins and then came back. When removing ALL plugs a wiff of smoke came from no.3 hole. Does this mean that the valve guide seal is knackered? If so, can it be sorted without removing head??
Answers on a postcard!!!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JohnFol

posted on 20/8/02 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
I heard of a trick to do this without removing the head, but it related to a vx engine, but it might work.

Take plug out and rotate crank until No. 3 piston is on the up stroke. pass through spark plug hole loads of string. Continue on the up stroke so the string is compressed againset the bottom of the valve. This should hold it in place whilst you do the seal . .. .

bob

posted on 20/8/02 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Steve
there is a tool that holds up the valve while compessing the spring,only seen it used on CVH though.
I'm sure build guru rodkidcon will know

ChrisW

posted on 20/8/02 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard of a thing (might have been one of you lot that told me about it) like a bolt with the same thread as a spark plug with a hole right through the middle connected to a compressor. Basically you screw it in, pressurise the cylinder and the air holds the valves in place while you change the seals. Not sure if it works but sounded like a good idea to me!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 20/8/02 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
ill have a look on sat pm if your in,gis a bell or a mail.no sugar
johnston

posted on 20/8/02 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
the compressed air in the cyliner does work ive done it BUT!!!!!!!!!!

u need to make sure its exactly tdc or else the piston can drop under pressure and then so does the valve

also u need to be very careful with the valve collets that u dont drop em down the oil ways )seen it done when i was in tech one of the other apprentices own cars at 4 oclock when we finished at 5)

the cvh has its own wee tool but i have seen a universal thing that looks like half a normal valve spring compressor havent seen it bein used it must bolt down somewhere or sumit

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.