Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rate your best BEC engines top 10
FFTS

posted on 2/3/10 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Rate your best BEC engines top 10

Not knowing a lot about bike engines and knowing you are all a little shy when it comes to giving your opinions

I'd like you to list your top bec engines for power and pull. Also if this makes sense so I can get an idea of how much of a step up from one to the next is try to put a % better than the last in the list.. example (with no idea).. Best = top, worst at the bottom.

ZZr1400 = 8%
ZX12R = 5%
R1 = 10%
ZX10R 5%
ZX9R.. %? than last

Lets not get too serious as each to their own opinion hey. Just to give an idea to those like me which engines would be worth either buying/changing and if it would be worth the money/effort.

Chris.

dan__wright

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
i think zx10r is above r1, i would say busa between 12 and 1400

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

FFTS

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
i think zx10r is above r1, i would say busa between 12 and 1400

Hhahaha.. well done Dan to be the first to reply and completely ignore the table format requested

At the end of this thread when it fizzles out, I'm looking for people like me to be able to directly compare each persons opinions in the SAME format.

You can try again if you like

Chris.

dan__wright

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
i would if i knew the numbers but unfortuantly i dont, just thaught it might help get it started but hey

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

omega0684

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
1, Pinto
2, Pinto
3, Pinto
4, Pinto
5, Pinto
6, Pinto
7, Pinto
8, Pinto
9, Pinto
10, Pinto

Whoops, just read the title, but i still stand bt my top 10!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Piaggio Quasar 250
1998 R1
1999 R1
2000 R1
2001 R1
2002 R1
Honda C90
Honda C50
Yanmar diesel
BMW K1200

smart51

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
1, Pinto
2, Pinto
3, Pinto
4, Pinto
5, Pinto
6, Pinto
7, Pinto
8, Pinto
9, Pinto
10, Pinto

Whoops, just read the title, but i still stand bt my top 10!

And strangely, all 10 of these different engines have been fitted to your car in the last year!

[Edited on 2-3-2010 by smart51]

ReMan

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684

And strangely, all 10 of these different engines have been to your car in the last year!

And broken

FFTS

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh well. It was probably too much to expect to get some serious answers

And as for the requested format of top 10 ranking WITH % how much better than the last!!! Well after all..

This isn't the MENSA forum hey So sorry for making it beyond your mental process limits hahahaha.

Also, I know some R1's etc have better years than others but I'm looking for an overall view of the different models i.e .. R1, ZX9R, ZX10R, Fireblade etc. When theres enough opinions I'll even publish a list of the overall top 10 by your votes.

Anyone want to try how it should be?

[Edited on 2/3/10 by FFTS]

Chris.

dan__wright

posted on 2/3/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
people arnt going to know what other engine produce, you would be better asking people to provide details of their engine and the power it produces, you can the take average and work out yourself the %s

if its not that hard why do you need people to do it for you?

[Edited on 2/3/10 by dan__wright]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

FFTS

posted on 2/3/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
people arnt going to know what other engine produce, you would be better asking people to provide details of their engine and the power it produces, you can the take average and work out yourself the %s

if its not that hard why do you need people to do it for you? If you don't wish to participate, feel free not to haha.

[Edited on 2/3/10 by dan__wright]

Well not quite so!! There will be people on here who are bike mechanics, owned lots of bikes, had several becs, tune bike engines etc, not just someone like me who has never owned a bike and got my first Bec. If I ask for opinions on someones sole owned engine then I can compare "I like my R1, its the best" statements. Its just like asking "If I bought a low mileage standard engine how would they stack up against each other?"

I'm sure this started off simple

Anyway.. It's my thread and I can ask for what I want.. Ner ner nee ner ner

And while I'm on my hi horse as an example. I only own one parachute at the moment but I've been skydiving 24 years and can tell you anything you want about the performance of pretty much any canopy out there. I'm sure the bike/Bec world has it's equivalents

[Edited on 2/3/10 by FFTS]

Chris.

McLannahan

posted on 2/3/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I think you've made it too complex.

You could always do a poll and let people pick their preference. It'll work out the % of options selected for you. Include an "other by brand" to cover all options?

blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FFTS

erm...
quote:
BEC!!!

from the xe vs zetec vs duratec thread

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

FFTS

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

erm...
quote:
BEC!!!

from the xe vs zetec vs duratec thread

Hahahhaha.. you again, I hate you Blake Fair does as they say. And fancy doing that after nearly causing me to get booted off for the Lady Gaga stuff

Chris.

blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
lol that was almost like on the busses except it was blakey said i hate you butler!
oi, i never got you in troble! you did that yourself! ha ha

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

smart51

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
The original question is too hard to answer, especially as bike engines change so much throughout their life. The 2008 R1 engine is not at all like a 1998 engine.

the 98 engine was carbed. It made about 140 actual BHP and revved to about 12,000. The gears were relatively widely spaced. It had a big jump in torque at about 5000 RPM that would catch out some bikers, so I hear.

the 2000 engine was also carbed but the delivery was smoother and it had a little more top end power.

the 2002 engine was fuel injected. The torque curve was again improved and it actually delivered the 150 BHP claimed for the 1998 engine.

The 2004 engine was quite different. It revved to 14,000 and made about 175 BHP, from memory. All of the extra was in the 12,000 - 14000 range. Dyno plots on the net suggest is made less torque at low revs. 1st gear was taller and the primary reduction was different, meaning you either had to have a 3.14 diff or it would do 1,000,000 rpm at 70 in top.

the 2008 engine had variable length trumpets or some such and made 180 BHP. Quite a different beast to the 98 lump. One can be ideal for your application where the other is just not right at all. Its hard, then, to lump them all together and that's just from one bike.

twybrow

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
ZX14 - 2%
Busa - 8%
ZX12 - 5%
Blackbird - 5%
ZX10 - 8%
R1 - 10%
Triumph Daytona (my engine!) - 5% (just for the sound!)
ZX9 - 2%
Fireblade

All guesstimates based upon experience, pub chat and some intuition!

Edited to say - 100% agreement with smart51 - this is all rather academic, as you are ignoring model year differences, which are considerable. also, you need to think about sump issues, engine height, carbs vs EFI, off the shelf parts availability (zorst, cradle etc), reliability, upgrades etc...

[Edited on 2/3/10 by twybrow]

FFTS

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
ZX14 - 2%
Busa - 8%
ZX12 - 5%
Blackbird - 5%
ZX10 - 8%
R1 - 10%
Triumph Daytona (my engine!) - 5% (just for the sound!)
ZX9 - 2%
Fireblade

All guesstimates based upon experience, pub chat and some intuition!

Edited to say - 100% agreement with smart51 - this is all rather academic, as you are ignoring model year differences, which are considerable. also, you need to think about sump issues, engine height, carbs vs EFI, off the shelf parts availability (zorst, cradle etc), reliability, upgrades etc...

[Edited on 2/3/10 by twybrow]

Well thanks for the last two answers and to twybrow for his attempt. I understand there can be big differences between years of the same engine model. I guess I'm just trying to find the answer to for instance.. would the power step up from one engine say ZX9R to ZX10R be worth doing or would it be a case of stepping up bigger.

Have patience chaps! I ask these questions as I DON@T have knowledge of bike engines and am trying to learn a few things from you Gurus

Chris.

TimC

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Pal, but I think you're asking the wrong question, or are trying to make a complex issue really simple, which it sadly is not. Several reasons:

• You're ignoring weight. For example a CBR1000F makes more power than a 893 Fireblade but weighs 19kgs more, so is it 'better'?>
  • You're ignoring installation issues e.g, the CBR1000RR is a stonking motor but is VERY tall and therefore requires a huge bonnet bulge to fit.
  • You're ignoring how the engine may act differently in a car to in a bike, e.g, on paper (or in a bike) a 2006 R1 makes more power than a 2003 R1 but because you cannot replicate the clever air-intake ram air performance will just about be the same.
  • It's difficult to rank them with no no financial value judgement. Sure, a 1500cc Powertec Busa would be nice, but is it worth 8 ZX-10Rs?
  • You're asking us to condense several years worth of casual research into the simplest table - sorry; no-can-do.

franky

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
a 98 r1 would be the best bike engine for a car as it made the most torque, and still does over the new ones. It hasn't got a step in torque is so silky smooth, what caught bikers out was the crap rubber at the time, the engine was ahead of road tyres in 1998.

A zx10 makes about 30bhp more at the wheel on a bike than the 98 r1 lump. Plenty of them about too and the cost isn't too bad. Infact a new zx10 lump from 2006+ makes the same bhp as a busa/zx12r engine

a zx9 E will be 98% as good as the r1 lump but cheaper to buy.

Just buy what you can afford to replace when it goes pop.

evo.rocks

posted on 2/3/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
i have the zx9 e engine in my engine and its quicker than my mates fireblade and quicker than the r1 engine bikes.

I can even keep up with busa and zx12 powered bikes from 0-100, but say 40-100 - i obviously get splatted - not by much though they just pull away slowly

TimC

posted on 2/3/10 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evo.rocks
i have the zx9 e engine in my engine and its quicker than my mates fireblade and quicker than the r1 engine bikes.

I can even keep up with busa and zx12 powered bikes from 0-100, but say 40-100 - i obviously get splatted - not by much though they just pull away slowly

Don't be so ridiculous!

smart51

posted on 2/3/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
... 98 r1 ... It hasn't got a step in torque is so silky smooth

Mine wasn't. It suddenly came on at 5000 RPM. It was noticeable in all the lower gears. I designed an airbox that was resonant at 4800 RPM which helped the engine breath easier just before the torque jump. It smoothed out delivery nicely. Even so, the output built up from about 4000 to about 5000, from where it pulled really well.

skippad

posted on 2/3/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
My 1400zzr Mk..
pulls away from everything!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 2/3/10 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Everyone wants a busa, but at 2.5K for a decent one plus another 1.5K for a dry sump, it is just too expensive for most people.
The R1 can be picked up from around 1-2K and a baffle plate from me only costs £29.95.
The R1 is popular because of power and budget

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.