Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: emptying petrol tank
pdm

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
emptying petrol tank

Evening all

Might seem like a bit of a numpty question but I'm not sure of what to do so please bear with me !

I'm stripping down a donor which has some fuel left in it - not much it's practically on the peg.

It's not insured or taxed and I don't fancy getting it seized if I was unlucky and got pulled just driving the last of it off.

T'interweb seems to suggest siphoning probably won't work due to mesh in filler pipe. Also seems to suggest it's not too good just letting it run dry.

What are my options ? It's a six pot beemer on a '94 plate...if that makes any difference !!

thanks
Paul

matt_gsxr

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Leave it idling until it stops (easiest solution)

Or disconnect the outlet hose from the fuel pump and put it into something that can catch the fuel.

bob tatt

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
match and stand well back simples
drhunter

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'd get the electric drill and just pop a couple of holes in the bottom of the tank

I'll second the letting it idle until empty!

pdm

A match - hmmm !! I'd have to get a load more bits of it before I give that a go although it'd save scrapping the rest LOL !!

I'm not to keen on removing the hose asI don't know exactly how much is in there and don't want to overflow my fuel can - a search today seemed to say there was quite a sizeable reserve in there once the gauge hits the peg.

Idling until it stops seemed to be the best way to me too. But it's only got a fan which is turned by the crank - so it's a bit like an A-Series as far as I can make out in that it'd be idling with not much cooling as there would be no airflow.

If I leave it idling for a long time, then as long as I keep an eye on the temp gauge do you think I'd do any long term damage.

Thanks

blakep82

take the lower fuel hose off the tank and let it drain into a petrol can?
my E30 had a drain plug on the tank, just behind the drivers door, just under the sill. loosen it off, and it poured out. don't know if the E36 has one though (assuming its a 3 series you got)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm

If I leave it idling for a long time, then as long as I keep an eye on the temp gauge do you think I'd do any long term damage.

crank fan works well, unless its worn out. its BMW after all. they probably spent thousands designing that.
if not, heater inside the car on full cools any overheating down pretty fast

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

pdm

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
blakep82 - yes I thought I'd got that when I saw on a forum that a 3-series had a drain plug - they stopped it for the E36 though.
pdm

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
well it's temperature was steady when I drove it home - wish I'd gone a longer way round now before the insurance ran out but I never thought about it - doh !!

Not sure how this build is going to go - can't seem to even plan the basics at the moment.

Think I'll idle it for as long as I can and then go for removing fuel outlet.

Thanks everyone.

blakep82

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
well, my 328 is a 1995, i think the fan clutch thing is knackered, it does start to overheat in traffic, but can drive about all day as long as its moving without trouble

a bit of traffic and it creeps up. with bonnet open, heater on full inside you definitely won't have troubles

pdm

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ok - idling it is then I'll keep a close eye on it, get the heater on and leave bonnet up as you say.

Thanks again.

avagolen

posted on 10/3/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Being a bit of a stingy bloke, I layed the fuel pipe in the engine bay into a clean bucket and drained the tank very slowly. Poured it into a my tin top. That way it was saving me money and reducing the cost of the donor outlay.

I know some of you will say that there was a chance of getting dirt in the tin top fuel system and causing expensive problems, but I got away without any problems..

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

craig1410

posted on 10/3/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Ok - idling it is then I'll keep a close eye on it, get the heater on and leave bonnet up as you say.

Thanks again.

Just make sure one of your neighbours doesn't report you for "unnecessary idling" as there are some new local authority laws or by-laws about that afaik.

bilbo

posted on 10/3/10 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've done the same as avagolen in the past, although I'd use a proper fuel container like a jerry can instead of a bucket
You can help the fuel drain through by hot wiring the fuel pump.

[Edited on 10/3/10 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

James

posted on 10/3/10 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not just drop out the tank then pour the fuel into your jerry can etc.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

pdm

posted on 11/3/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone whose responses I've picked up this morning - plenty of ways forward to think about now which is always good.

cheers
Paul

02GF74

posted on 11/3/10 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
two containers, so you can swap when one is full.

centre punch and hammer - use you immagination as to what to do with them.

franky

posted on 11/3/10 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
If its going to a scrap yard just leave it in there, When I did mine there was a couple of ltrs of fuel in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.