Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Urgent.. Horn MOT requirements
tegwin

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Urgent.. Horn MOT requirements

The TVR failed last week on the horn not working..

There must be an earth issue somewhere inside the column housing... I dont have time to fix it..

So need to hook up a temporary button on the dashboard..

What are the requirements for the horn button in terms of location, size/ visibility and does it have to be labeled?

Have to retest tomorow so Im a bit pushed...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

blakep82

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
just has to work and the button reachable

http://www.ukmot.com/6-2.asp#Text_top

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

deanwelch

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
+1
tegwin

posted on 15/3/10 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Will two wires protruding from the dash be sufficient?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

blakep82

posted on 15/3/10 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
try and incorporate some kind of switching device which can be activated with 1 hand and you're on to a winner

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 15/3/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have an air horn operated by a toggle switch and it passed MOT without a label.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mediabloke

posted on 15/3/10 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have thought that you only have a permanent 12v and switched return.

Once you know which is open-circuit, use 2 scotchbloc connectors to splice a new wire as a temporary measure to get your existing one working. You'll need to run some new wire anyway, for the workaround button on your dash.

If it turns out to be the switch, you could splice both wires to your switch on the dash.

Then you can sort it out proper-like when you've more time. HTH

[Edited on 15/3/10 by mediabloke]

[Edited on 15/3/10 by mediabloke]

austin man

posted on 15/3/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
the switch has to switch to of when you release the pressure so the horn cannot be left on continuosly

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

britishtrident

posted on 16/3/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a Triumph Herald steering column the fault will either be at the carbon brush in steering rack that earths the rack pinnion or the earthing accross the flex coupling at the rack.

Usuall quick fix to get through MOT is to run an earth wire under the dash to the "D" clamp that allows the column length to be adjusted. Use a thin wire long enough to wind round the column whenthe steering is turned.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

tegwin

posted on 16/3/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
There is a bit of flop in the top half of the column, so I guess thats where the earth is not conencting..

I have mounted a little momentary button on the dash for now... it should do the job until I have time to fix the actual horn..

scudderfish

posted on 16/3/10 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just wire it into the washer motor so the horn blows whenever you wash the screen
tegwin

posted on 16/3/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Just wire it into the washer motor so the horn blows whenever you wash the screen

Haha.. do we recon that would pass lol

rusty nuts

posted on 16/3/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If you have a Triumph Herald steering column the fault will either be at the carbon brush in steering rack that earths the rack pinnion or the earthing accross the flex coupling at the rack.

Usuall quick fix to get through MOT is to run an earth wire under the dash to the "D" clamp that allows the column length to be adjusted. Use a thin wire long enough to wind round the column whenthe steering is turned.

In the dim and distant past I remember using an expansion spring around the lower column and attached to the body to get a horn working on a Herald to get it through the MOT test

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Maplin will sell you a nice big push button that'll handle a decent load at 12v... I use one to operate my starter solenoid.

Yours for £1.99p.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.