Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What peoples opinions of..
Danozeman

posted on 3/5/04 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
What peoples opinions of..

I know this is probably the wrong place but.. whats peoples opinions of the robin hood 2b/4 kit.

I started building the locost but with large mods to the book chassis to take a v8 but im going to do the sensible option and build a 16v and keep the v8 for a better suited car.
I was at stoneleigh yesterday and was looking at the robin hood. It got me tempted to get one and put a zetec in it or something.

derf

posted on 3/5/04 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
mention that kit again and you will be damned..... (not a good topic to bring up)
zilspeed

posted on 3/5/04 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
I know this is probably the wrong place but.. whats peoples opinions of the robin hood 2b/4 kit.

I started building the locost but with large mods to the book chassis to take a v8 but im going to do the sensible option and build a 16v and keep the v8 for a better suited car.
I was at stoneleigh yesterday and was looking at the robin hood. It got me tempted to get one and put a zetec in it or something.

You are currently building a Locost - a car which has suspension which works properly and does it's job because it was designed from the outset to do that - cost was a secondary issue. It may have been a close second, but function was still considered more important than cost.

If you buy a Robin Hood, you will be buying a car which has as it's primary consideration, " how can we get this thing to work and use as much of the original sierra as possible". Sliding pillar suspension isn't cool, regardless of how much 'tricky dicky' tries to justify it. Neither is using the rear subframe from the sierra complete. You may be considering the 2B + kit and getting the front wishbone setup but that means you'll be spending more than, for example, a GTS rolling chassis kit.
Having previously owned two Robin Hoods - triumph and ford based - I have to say I wouldn't again. Not now that I have actually experienced the real difference.
And as for V8s etc... that's another question altogether......
As I've said in previous threads, I'm still frightened of the speed of my very modest 1600 xflow powered example

[Edited on 3/5/04 by zilspeed]

NS Dev

posted on 3/5/04 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree entirely with Zilspeed on this one, I hate to criticise people making things (like Robin Hoods!) but as he says, it was designed to use as much as possible of a Sierra, and that just asn't suited to a "seven" type car, as most of the sierra was designed to be interchangeable with a Granada and built strongly enough to suit, and is thus way over the top for a sub 700kg sportscar!!

A well built "locost" has suspension that is fundamentally right, a well built RH still has suspension that is fundamentally "ok cos it's cheap and it sort-of-works"

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/5/04 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
do soem research.

look on here for rh

and also go to

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/robinhood2b

and ask questions.

I think you will find its not a good kit. There are also stories of not so helpful responses from the mfr - and if it matters to you - they are up for sale.

Take a look at a MK chassis, then compare it to the exhaust tubing version used on the 2b.

Id go for a MK - hardly any difference in kit cost.

one final word.

look at all the optioanl bits you need on the rh site that are not part of the kit....... its not as cheap an option as is made out!

plus, if you see the kit laid out like it is at the shows, it looks like a pile of roughly cut steel panels that might somehow fit eventually.

atb

steve

tweek

posted on 3/5/04 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
i asked much the same question a short while ago after seein a RH brochure.

got much the same reply, at the time i thought they were overly negative....

....then i had a brief look through the classifieds in kitcar mag an practical classics, saw plenty of "unfinished projects"

certainly made me worry!

but, as i was also told - it is ur money! (or in my case not!)

HTH

john

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

MikeRJ

posted on 4/5/04 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Was going to start a new topic, but this seems appropriate.

I bought a partialy finished +4" locost chassis some time ago, and made some progress before other more pressing issues made it take a back seat.

Last week I did something possibly silly, I bought an aged Robin Hood for a very small amount of money. The RH isn't road worthy, and isn't registered (although I'm almost certain it WAS at some point, identity theft I suspect).

My inital plan was to simply use the RH as a donor, it was cheaper than just buying a set of fibreglass for my Locost. However, after spending a few hours getting the engine running and a general look over I'm in two minds. The car as it stands is horribly put together by what must have been a ham fisted baboon, but OTOH it is mostly complete.

Do I try to put the RH on the road or strip it for bits? Undoubtedly I could get it on the road far more quickly then I could with the locost, but it's not really the car I was after. It's an S7 with a monocoque chassis, and Cortina front suspension (very ugly!). If I was going to put it on the road, I would be tempted to make a tubular front subframe with locost style suspension.

Pictures at http://www.mikerj.clara.net/robinhood/rh1.html

The car in the pic's dosen't have the nosecone, the bonnet and one clamshell fitted but I do have all these parts.

I'm leaning towards fettling the RH, and if I really don't like it, selling it. At the price I paid I'm certainly not going to lose any money. Comments?

SparkyPups

posted on 4/5/04 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I would scavenge it for bits, it would be one helluva job to put an old RH thru SVA.
Danozeman

posted on 4/5/04 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
mmm. I have heard alot of bad things said about Robin hoods and they are what you see most of for sale.

Ive been looking into the MK one. The chassis certainly looks alot better and sturdier.

The thing is i have a 5.8 ford V8 which is going in a kit car which would be nice in a locost type. Im trying to decide whether or not to hang on to the v8 and keep it for something better suited and use a more sensible engine for the locost (i was thinking 16v vauxhall or zetec). Just looking at different options of chassis rather than trying an oversized locost.

Oh yeah i havent the money for a v8 viento!!

Danozeman

posted on 4/5/04 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mike rj. i would use the rj for the bits btw...
James

posted on 5/5/04 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Comments?

"Dear God that is one ugly pile o' shite!" Is about all I can think to say!

Sorry mate but how can anyone compare a nicely built Locost with something like that???

Torch it and use the fire to warm your garage whilst you build your Locost- you'll be way happier in the end!

All the best,
James

[Edited on 5/5/04 by James]

James

posted on 5/5/04 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

Did you look at the MKs at the show? They're some really nice lookin and well made cars. How can you possibly compare the Robin Hood with an MK?

The MK is brilliant and also pretty cheap- I'd also recommend you looked at the GTS Tuning car which uses De Dion suspension. It's a lovely looking car and to me looks very well made.

Get one of the two MK/GTS and put the 16v or a bike engine in them- you'll be much happier in the end!

All the best,
James

MikeRJ

posted on 5/5/04 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
["Dear God that is one ugly pile o' shite!" Is about all I can think to say!

Sorry mate but how can anyone compare a nicely built Locost with something like that???

I am the first to admitt that it doesn't look too good in those pics. However, with the nosecone and bonnet on it's really not that bad. Going for a strip down this w/e and the decision will be made!

What's really putting me off the locost is availability (or lack of) of +4" bodywork. I'll have a go at just about anything, but I just don't have the patience to make molds and plugs etc.

zilspeed

posted on 5/5/04 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What's really putting me off the locost is availability (or lack of) of +4" bodywork. I'll have a go at just about anything, but I just don't have the patience to make molds and plugs etc.

Sorry - not good enough. This Guy
has widened his nosecone by the required 4". No need to make your own.
Check out the rest of his site while you're there

[Edited on 5/5/04 by zilspeed]

MikeRJ

posted on 6/5/04 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Some interesting stuff on there, thanks for the link!
greggors84

posted on 7/5/04 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
When i was first looking at what kit to get, i looked at Robin hood first simply because they were the first name that came up. After hearing horror stories about them i decided against it. I got talking to one bloke off a forum and he told me how they had to re jig the chassis and had all sorts of other problems.
He popped round the other day with his car and i must say he made a very good job of it considering all the problems. They arnt that bad looking just a bit bigger.

Not worth the effort IMHO as a MK Indy looks vastly better! Rescued attachment rh.JPG
Rescued attachment rh.JPG

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Danozeman

posted on 10/5/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think im gnna go for the Mk. I did have a breif look at it at the show but didnt have time as the hall was shutting. The chassis certainly looked very well made and sterdier than the RH. Ive been looking at the kits that are about that people have given up on to... Plenty about but none close enough to me..
I reckon il use a zetec with irs.. as there seems to be more sierras aboot..

[Edited on 10/5/04 by Danozeman]

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
i am in the unusual position of owning an Indy and a quarter share in a robin hood s7( cortina monocoque), though with double wishbone front suspension. both cars are working and on the road and i have to say...... buy an MK! the robin hood's driving position is horrendous, and the whole car is light years behind the MK!
the rh is ok for a pose in a shiny stainless steel car and gets millions of waves from old grannies who think its a 30's throwback but otherwise........

James

posted on 11/5/04 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just read this on the RHOCAR site... poor bastards!

"In the process of building my project 2b, Having problems with the height of the pedalbox, leaving pedal too high from the floor. Has anyone else had this problem? if so how would you solve it,as i can see no way of lowering the pedalbox,pehaps a set from another car could be used?

i did ring robin hood up but only was told to "put a but of wood in the floor to lift my feet up" which i feel is a bit of a lash up solution. "

Bit of wood indeed!

James

Danozeman

posted on 14/5/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Poor sod... Im definately not getting a robin hood..

you could use a bit of metal insead of a bit of wood.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.