Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: saw recommendation?
Slater

posted on 19/3/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
saw recommendation?

Hello, I need to build a partition wall down the centre of my garage using 4x2 and plaster board, this will involve lots of acurate length 90 deg cutting of the 4x2.

Can you recommend a reasonable budget tool for achieving these sorts of cuts? I have a B&D workmate so can use that as a platform if need be. I have a good old hand saw but never can get a good 90 deg cut.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

twybrow

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Pick up a cutting guide box from B&Q. You drop your wood into the cutting guide, and there are grooves for your saw blade, so you don't wander and put on an angled cut - kinda like a universal mitre saw...
James

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe it's just a case of practice, but I draw round 3 sides (1 long, 2 short) with a set square and then cut. Usually come out pretty good.

Having the wood lying on the wide face (ie. flat) will help too.

One of the £10 Forge Steel long wood saws from Screwfix will see this whole job done if you look after it.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

thunderace

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
i would buy a cheep chop saw second hand from ebay and then a new FINE CUT BLADE .
if you are not going to use it 1000 of times there is no point in spending 100s on a elu dewalt or makita or any other top brand
if you can pick this up for £100 your doing well ebay item
Item number: 260570425099

make sure its over 1200 watt
hope this is some help to you also look on gumtree

ReMan

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Mitre/chop saw
B and Q!

Toltec

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to stay with a hand saw the Bahco Barracuda saws make cutting through 4x2 by hand surprisingly easy. As above a mitre box will help you get the straight cuts.

Argos do a mitre saw for £35 that would do the job, it depends on if you would have any use for it afterwards. I have an Evolution Fury3 which I got for £100 on offer at B&Q, it will cut metal as well as wood and has come in handy for several jobs since I bought it a few months ago.

boggle

posted on 19/3/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
saw 1

bloody good film....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Slater

posted on 19/3/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice gents! very useful.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

zilspeed

posted on 19/3/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sandvik 244.

£6

Built my garage with one.

Start cutting and you'll soon get your eye in.

JoelP

posted on 19/3/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
id go for that cheap pee&poo chop saw. You dont need a good blade for a timber frame.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.