Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lanzarote
MikeR

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Lanzarote

If you where going to Lanzarote in the next few weeks - what would you do / not do?

(i may have lost a week in the garage whilst inbetween jobs!)

splitrivet

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Take everything you need sandblasting with me and sit it on the beach for 10 minutes.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

wicket

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
If you are into art and architecture then Cesar Manrique's house is worth a visit.

http://travel.spotcoolstuff.com/canary-islands/lanzarote/cesar-manrique-house

and here

http://www.discoverlanzarote.com/mirador.asp

Fozzie

posted on 19/3/10 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Been there done that .....
and Cesar Manrique's house......

Mike, it's a bit like Marmite LOL....you either love it or hate it ......errrm, I didn't like it one bit...Lanzarote that is, but thousands of people love it and go back year after year .....
I haven't managed to work out why though!

All I will say is, that the hotel was excellent, and boy o boy, was I glad that we hired a car! .... we could drive around in circles all day!....

HTH (though I suspect..not)
Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

PAUL FISHER

posted on 19/3/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
There's plenty to see and do at Lanzarote,but a must see is the views from the Mirador del Rio,the Timafaya national park is also a nice day out,with a stop off for a camel ride on the way,Jameos del agua is also worth a visit,and if you have kids,a day out at the Aqua park at casta teguise is a must.
You realy need a car to explore,there are some great places to explore,and sandy coves and beaches to be found,I always book a car to pick up at the airport when I go,and drop it off when I go home.

Toltec

posted on 19/3/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
There are some pretty interesting roads on the island.

Timanfaya, the volcanic park is worth a visit. The road through the park is worth driving at least and the coach ride around the volcanos does take you to some spectacular views. The coach stops at various places for a few minutes, however you cannot get off anymore.

Drive to Salinas de Janubio and take the coast road up to El Golfo, stop at both and the small lay-bys in between. Very rugged volcanic coast with Atlantic breakers raising clouds of spray.

Jardin De Cactus is good if you like plants and it also has a sculptural quality which is interesting.

Superb views over La Graciosa from the Mirador del Rio (we did not bother paying to go into the observation deck).

The wind sculptures in the middle of roundabouts dotted around the island are worth noticing. Two large ones are near Cesar Manrique's house.

Avoid Playa Blanca.

norfolkluego

posted on 19/3/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
And some fantastic beaches at Pappagayo, beautifull sand and some great rockpools at either end with some fantastically coloured fish. Pappagayo is a series of coves, so don't stop on the first beach where the boat drops you off, gets very crowded, walk for 10 or 15 minutes and find a nicer one.
Warning: the Pappagayo beaches are naturist 'friendly', so if you're easily offended maybe don't go

[Edited on 19/3/10 by norfolkluego]

TPG

posted on 19/3/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Don't go on a day trip accross to Fuerteventura.......Stay on Lanzarote.Its simply stunning.Once you get into the vibe of the place its great.
There is/was an old tower block left in the main town Arrecife.Henry Manrique told them to leave it standing as a constant reminder of how close they came to making a mess of the island.....

..Which was nice..

Fozzie

posted on 19/3/10 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TPG
Don't go on a day trip accross to Fuerteventura.......Stay on Lanzarote.Its simply stunning.Once you get into the vibe of the place its great.
There is/was an old tower block left in the main town Arrecife.Henry Manrique told them to leave it standing as a constant reminder of how close they came to making a mess of the island.....

Ah well , it must be me and DLT, perhaps we just didn't get a 'vibe' on the place ...

Have a great time Mike ...
Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

JoelP

posted on 19/3/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
sun and beer, whats not to like?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.