Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Selling my Esprit, opinions please.
Davegtst

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Selling my Esprit, opinions please.

As you may know i'm in the long process of trying to sell my Esprit. I got an email from a guy that lives 190 miles away wanting to buy it. We have reached a deal money wise but he wants me to drive it up to him and then i'll get the train back. He sounds genuine enough but it's just a bit weird especially as he hasn't even seen the car only in pictures. What do you reckon?
balidey

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
What do I reckon?
He should get the train to you and drive it back. Thats how most car sales go.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Davegtst

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly my point but if he is genuine i don't mind driving that far. He says he wants me to drive it to him so he can sort out insurance and so he knows it reliable. Here one of his emails.

'Thanks for that Dave.

I'm up near Chester, which according to the Website is 150 miles from your goodself.

Would you be in agreement to accepting £8500 in cash for the car and driving it up here..call it one final farwell drive?...it would show me that it's reliable on the one hand and then allow me to get it insured etc from here. I'd be happy to take you to the train station and pay for your return trip. I am willing to purchase the car for this price 'irrespective' of whether the cabin is a bit cramped as don't have that much head room in my Celica GT.

I will have the money by Friday, as my parents fly in from New Jersey the day before so anytime from then on which is convenient for you.

Let me know what you think and please note I am 100% genuine.

If you are ok to do that then I will give you my contact and address details.

Many thanks'

eddie99

+1, He should be driving to you and he should get train back. If you think hes that genuine and your really wanting to sell it, Say you'll drop price by £x maybe?
Just a thought...
Have you tried mags?

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scootz

I'd be wanting a few hundred by way of deposit in my bank before I set off!

It's Evolution Baby!

eddie99

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I see his point and he does look genuine but im fooled easily so dont know... Maybe a deposit before you drive it up?

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dazzx10r

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Get him to send you a deposit via paypal before you go any further.
boggle

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
as scootz said. a deposit id needed...

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

richardh

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
500 deposit in cleared funds with receipts either way.
cost to deliver and return charge taken off the agreed price too.

Time for a change!

Davegtst

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've just messaged him about the deposit, lets see what he comes up with. Alarm bells are ringing though but maybe thats just me being cynical.
deanwelch

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
sounds dodgy....you can sort insurance with a phone call...............if he is prepared to pay for your trip he can pay for his own down........you will be somewhere you dont know with 8.5k in your pocket..........not good........down to you but you did ask............
Davegtst

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
No £9500 in my pocket is what we have agreed on! And i agree insurance can be sorted out with a 10 minute phone call.

[Edited on 29/3/10 by Davegtst]

SeaBass

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I would never agree to this.

1) He's at and advantage if he "sees something you didn't mention". You go home out of pocket.
2) See above - he'll try to knock the price down to £9k or less knowing you don't want to drive it home.
3) The insurance is not an issue!
4) Anyone who says I'm 100% geniune is avin a larf!
5) Nice car!

[Edited on 29/3/10 by SeaBass]

DM

posted on 29/3/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
I would never agree to this.

1) He's at and advantage if he "sees something you didn't mention". You go home out of pocket.
2) See above - he'll try to knock the price down to £8k or less knowing you don't want to drive it home.
3) The insurance is not an issue!
4) Anyone who says I'm 100% geniune is avin a larf!
5) Nice car!

yep... wot 'e said.

JoelP

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
i too think he sounds dodgy. He tells you he's 100% genuine because he knows his request is odd. Id just tell him to stuff his dough where the sun dont shine, but then, im not trying to sell your car!

never ignore alarm bells. I did once and got robbed for about £400, even after id told the missus i thought it was dodgy.

[Edited on 29/3/10 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Davegtst

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
It's been nothing but hassle trying to sell it. I must have had about 8 people aranging to come and view it but never turn up
YQUSTA

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you do it in the way he ask's I would make him pay the cash into your account whilst you are stood there with him so the cash can be confirmed none dodgy by the bank.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

russbost

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
£500 non refundable deposit & take a large mate with you just in case!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Hammerhead

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
dodgy - he should show faith and come to you.
Davegtst

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ok got a reply.

'If you let me have your bank details and your address then i'll transfer £500 into your account next week. As i say my ma and pa need to put it into my account and what with it being a big bhol weekend it may take a few more days to credit. I was going to go to the back with them on Thu/Sat to withdraw the cashbut i'll need to wire it to you now. Cheers'

graememk

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
you get there with log book ect and he has 5 big mates there waiting to duff you in....

tomprescott

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Or at least a large a mate as you can fit in an esprit!

Sounds a bit dodge to me! Problem with your car is that its a lot of peoples dream car, so they agree to view it on a whim and then they realise they can't actually afford it so don't show up!

A bird in the hand....

Toprivetguns

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
(£500 non refundable deposit & take a large mate with you just in case! )

I agree. Also be cautious if he wants to meet you and do the deal at a petrol station, leisure park etc. TBH he sounds like a timewaster...

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

deanwelch

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
the email you posted says 8.5k not 9.5k it also reads like english may not be his first language............old motor trader trick is to get people to mess you about as much as poss so that when they turn up with cash you are so relived you let it go cheep........money "wired" in can be taken back..............good luck
Mr G

posted on 29/3/10 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
If the deposit is cash then he can put it into your account via the counter of his local branch and it will show up straight away no worries about how long it will take to process/clear etc.

As they have updated google then you might want to get the address he has given you and check it out on streetview along with cross referencing name/address.

As people have mentioned the norm is them to come to you, the other way round is just lazy or dodgy!

Cheers

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.