Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Detling
LBMEFM

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Detling

Went to Detling yesterday, got wet and cold, looked around the same old stands, half watched the scotsman do his tedious wheelie act on his Triumph, got ripped off at the food stalls, infact in my mind a non-event. Spoke to some of the manufacturers reps, they agreed that it was pretty lifeless and they only do it to show their faces at the first show of the year. Maybe I am just a miserable old git. Tough decision today though, British Superbikes at Brands or RallyX at Lydden, which ever I can assure that it's going to be better than Detling. Barry
rusty nuts

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Take it you didn't enjoy yourself?
jollygreengiant

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
It did seem a bit quiet. Didn't matter what you got from the food vans, the price seemed to be £7.50.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

greenwood03

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I know what you're saying Barry, a tad 'samey', that said we had fun on the Southern Kit Car area. Should have wandered over and joined us - we had a BBQ which we took a nominal £3 for a food/drink and a bit of bater whilst listening to a bit of music - and with the marquee up 'just in case'. Moreover had a nice pre-meet at Indulgence where new faces were able to get introduced/introduce themselves to others and a convoy across the A's + B's to the Show. ....

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

Humbug

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've been for about 8 years now and it always seems a bit samey to me (apart from when they opened the new building a few years ago).

Mind you, putting the first day on Easter Sunday always looked like a daft idea - regardless of how many car/garage points you've earned during the year, the Easter long weekend is often a time when people go away, or at least have some family occasion on the Sunday.

That said, I will be along later this morning, as it's just down the road.

Cheers

Simon

Danozeman

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
I had completely forgotten about it.

That said i couldnt have gone yesterday as easter family gathering.

I went last year 4-5 hour round trip and it took an hour and a half to look round which included talking to people and watching the bloke on a motobike. So i was less enthused to go this year.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

snapper

posted on 5/4/10 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I always put a couple of hundred quid in my pocket for shows, there are always bits and pieces I need.
The mark of this show even though I had a list of "must have's" is that i only spent 2 quid on a sheet of stainless.

I struggled through the wet weather hiding for an hour in someone's under flat garage, this gave me time to consider the installation of windscreen wipers.
I put the screen on last year as a temporary fit while sorting the wet weather gear, thought i would get round to fitting wipers, I will now.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

LBMEFM

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I like the sound of the Southern Kit Car club, I will contact you soon to arrange a meet up somewhere. Barry
boggle

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
well maybe as it was my first show, i enjoyed it.....everyone i spoke to was friendly and informative, had a couple of rides out and never got wet....

but i took a picnic and didnt buy anything in the trade area, so apart from entry was a cheap day out.....

however it was a bit of a trip up from cornwall....hoping next year im in the locost for it....

[Edited on 5/4/10 by boggle]

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Stuart_B

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
i did not go this year, as i will save the cash and make stonleigh for the whole weekend.

last year was there for three days, wow i walked around the same stuff alot.lol

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

adithorp

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
well maybe as it was my first show, i enjoyed it.....everyone i spoke to was friendly and informative, had a couple of rides out and never got wet....

but i took a picnic and didnt buy anything in the trade area, so apart from entry was a cheap day out.....

however it was a bit of a trip up from cornwall....hoping next year im in the locost for it....

[Edited on 5/4/10 by boggle]

If you liked that then you realy should get up to Stoneleigh next month. Bring a tent and stay overnight. A lot more cars and stands than at the smaller shows.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

johhny5

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Can only agree with all the folks posted today, poor event,expensive food-everthing was around the cost of £7.50 bonus side got to experience was it is to be a passenger on the 260 mile round trip and didnt get wet !!
johhny5

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Can only agree with all the folks posted today, poor event,expensive food-everthing was around the cost of £7.50 bonus side got to experience was it is to be a passenger on the 260 mile round trip and didnt get wet !!
perksy

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like its going the same way as the Stafford show, which was very poor last year
Think they were charging a tenner to get in if you weren't in a Kit and you could walk around the hall in 10 mins

Eventually it might end up that there's only Stoneleigh thats worth going to..

boggle

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
i cant go to stoneleigh as im moving next month......

what is exeter like????

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Davg

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

overnight decision then

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davg
quote:

overnight decision then

Of course, there's always Newark, if you can't make Stoneliegh.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

boggle

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davg
quote:

overnight decision then

i knew i was moving end of april but i thought stonleigh was in june for some reason.....

u2u me for details

Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/4/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I enjoyed myself on the SKCC stand... Barry i shouted to you inside, but you couldnt hear me and you disappeared before i could find you. Saw you drive out too !

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

spiderman01980

posted on 5/4/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
the food is a complete rip off, cheese burger and a drink £5 another food stand a footlong hotdog in some bread from last sunday and a drink £6! another thing that pis**s me off is the caterham 7 owners club, some of them seem to have the AM BETTER then you attitude and you know more then half of them havent built the car them self, i see one of them nearly run someone over while trying to turn around like they owned the event.
bob

posted on 5/4/10 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Save your time and money for stoneleigh, throw a tent barbq and tucker in the car and you will not be dissapointed

Sadly this may be the 1st time in 14 years that i will not make stoneleigh

morcus

posted on 5/4/10 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just back now. My first car show in about 4 years and first kit car show ever and enjoyed myself.

from the way the ground looked I think there were more cars yesterday and alot of cars left early. I saw some of you guys cars but I couldn't find any of you, and not for want of trying. It was great to see stuff I've seen in pictures and on tv/xbox in real life and everyone I spoke to was really friendly. Shame the weather was bad because alot of 7s were covered so I couldn't get as good a look as I would have liked, also a shame I couldn't find as many owners as I wanted to get a few more sit ins than I managed but it was really good, and I enjoyed my £5 hot dog, and the fudge guy gave me twice as much fudge as I paid for. I wasn't planning on going to Stoneliegh but I might have to now as everyone says its better. Including fuel The whole thing cost me about £22 and I was there for about 3 hours. Didn't bother with the motobike guy.

Was great to see the Indy for real as that what I think I want.

For me a great day, met some good people and got to see everycar and spend alot of time doing so, I tried to get a ride but was unsuccessful and saw some amazing beards aswell.

I even got to play with some Cobra guys on the motorway on the way up and got some nice pictures.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

loggyboy

posted on 5/4/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know if sunday was any busier but I thought the £10 entry was expensive for what was there. I was very disapointed with size, the promise the website/flyer gave of over 100 stands seemed vasty over exagerated. Typically the one manufacturer I really wanted to see (Raw) wasnt there and the organisers didnt seem to know why.
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 5/4/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I went down on Sunday and had a good time.

The weather was a bit iffy on the way down, but I refused to stop and put the top up. On the way back it hailed - which is nice I can recommend not having hailstones rattling round the cockpit...

I got exactly what I wanted from the show.
. A good first run out for 2010
. A good chat with the manufacturers
. A good browse around the bits and bobs
. A good chat with some of the owners clubs
. A good chat with some owners and prospective owners
. An eye wateringly expensive latte...

It was what I expected, and I enjoyed it!

Roll on Stoneleigh

Simon

posted on 6/4/10 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
Went Sunday and agree same old, same old, but had a wander got, ripped off on some chips - should have had the barter conversation from Life of Brian, and the showground, like Earls Court is a shithole.

Bought some new rear lights; woman in petrol station on other side of A249 tried charging me for two papers.

Stared at a moron involved in one the the "plastic ferrari replica MR2" type stands sitting there, chewing gum (intensely) reading paper, other half texting and thought you'll do well today.

Had a look at Blitzworld vehicle which are quite a laugh.

Will only go again if I go in toy car and get in for nowt, ain't worth it otherwise.

ATB

Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.